    speeds of 19MB/s (read) and 16MB/s (write) - a truely awesome USB disk
    to add to the growing stable from Buffalo

    Currently only available in 1GB
    habshi, Jan 14, 2006

  2. habshi

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:05:50 GMT, habshi@anony (habshi) wrote:

    > I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
    >upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
    >the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

    Not quite. It won't store high quality video that blu-ray is capable
    of. Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) are supposedly able to support size into
    100's of GB and the cost per discs are just pocket change compared to
    $100 for a 16GB card.

    Even 2 dual layer DVD+R are cheaper than a 16GB card by almost $95.
    The difference alone would more than pay off a new DVD burner plus a
    few more dual layer discs. Imagine you need to make 100GB in bavckup.
    Would you rather spend only about $50 for 12 dual layer DVDs or $700
    for 7 cards? I'll bet the blu-ray and hd-dvd would be cheaper for
    backing up 100+ GB than the flash card.

    The flash card is fine for digital camera (both point and shoot and
    video) and other mobil devices but it will not replace the blu-ray and
    hd-dvd for video playback and file storeage and archival.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
    Impmon, Jan 14, 2006

  3. On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:05:50 GMT) it happened habshi@anony
    (habshi) wrote in <>:

    >I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
    >upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
    >the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

    If the 16GB flashdrive costs 90$, and has 25 years data retention,
    and the Blue Light Disk RW cost 10$ and has 100 years data retention,
    Then one can predict the optical disks will be used for backup and simply
    storage of data.

    Blue light will be here end of this year perhaps, 16 GB FLASH memory will
    not be here at an acceptable price end 2006 (more like >300$).

    And yes I am not biased because I already had an AVI have a movie on memory
    stick.
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 14, 2006
  4. habshi

    Joe S. Guest

    habshi wrote:
    > I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
    > upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
    > the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .
    >
    > Flash Memory to Rival Hard Drives
    > Slashdot - 20 hours ago
    > ... Samsung will start producing 16 gigabit Nand Flash chips this
    > year... Gartner estimates that 16GB Flash drives will cost from about
    > $90...

    If you read the article carefully you'll see that they are saying 16
    gigabits, not gigabytes. 16 gigabits equals only 2 gigabytes.
    We are a long long way off from 16 gigabyte flash.
    Joe S., Jan 16, 2006
  5. habshi

    GMAN Guest

    In article <dqarbo$9pr$>, Jan Panteltje <> wrote:
    >On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:05:50 GMT) it happened habshi@anony
    >(habshi) wrote in <>:
    >
    >>I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
    >>upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
    >>the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

    >If the 16GB flashdrive costs 90$, and has 25 years data retention,
    >and the Blue Light Disk RW cost 10$ and has 100 years data retention,
    >Then one can predict the optical disks will be used for backup and simply
    >storage of data.
    >
    >Blue light will be here end of this year perhaps, 16 GB FLASH memory will
    >not be here at an acceptable price end 2006 (more like >300$).
    >
    >And yes I am not biased because I already had an AVI have a movie on memory
    >stick.

    Isn't Kmart the only ones that are going to stock Blue Light titles?
    GMAN, Jan 17, 2006
  6. habshi

    habshi Guest

    TAIPEI: Mobile computing devices could soon be stepping up with
    Samsung's latest 32GB solid state disk (SSD). The company unveiled the
    drive at the Samsung Mobile Solution Forum last week and said it was
    the first time that a hard drive for mobile computing devices would be
    featuring a NAND flash based storage.

    Users are expected to like the chip because it allows them to download
    and upload data much faster than before when their laptops did not
    have a flash-based memory. The company said users will also appreciate
    the SSD's ability to read data three times faster, and write 1.5 times
    faster than the usual hard drives of mobile computers.

    The absence of any movable parts reduces the drive's weight by half
    although it is bigger than any other flash drives. More significantly,
    the SSD consumes no more than 5 percent of the electricity required by
    a normal hard disk drive because there are no motors or mechanical
    parts that are known to exhaust batteries sooner than users would
    like. No motor also means no noise - a small yet important feature
    that computer makers have been struggling to improve all these years
    habshi, Apr 1, 2006
  7. habshi

    habshi Guest

    It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
    reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
    plasma tv.
    An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

    excerpts
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16545386/page/2/
    In addition to being reliable, these drives are fast. SanDisk claims a
    sustained read rate of 62 megabytes per second and a random read rate
    of 7,000 inputs/outputs per second. In plain English, that means it’s
    more than 100 times faster than most current hard disk drives.
    can’t begin to tell you what this ultimately means for the computer,
    PDA, cell phone and portable music device industries. The only thing
    that might slow down SSD acceptability is the price. Currently,
    SanDisk’s 32GB SSD will sell for $600. But, I would expect that price
    will drop as more and more companies choose solid-state drives. A
    number of electronics manufacturers are currently in talks with
    SanDisk — although they wouldn’t yet disclose which ones.
    This year’s prize goes to Sharp with their 108-in (diagonally
    measured) Aquos LCD TV. I can report that the TV displayed a
    wonderfully sharp and clear picture. I’d love to test it in my living
    room though to put it through its paces. I’ll forward my address to
    Sharp as soon as I get home
    http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/501690

    Designed for users who demand the highest capacity drive
    currently available on the market, the new 16GB Flash Voyager can
    store up to 8 full- length, high definition movies with ease. 16GB of
    storage capacity is equivalent of close to 4 DVDs or over 20 CDs --
    all in a small foot print USB design! The drive is also bootable,
    which means users can store a full version of Microsoft(R) Windows(TM)
    operating system and configure the PC to boot from USB. Combined with
    the large capacity of the drive, it allows IT managers and technology
    users to troubleshoot from station to station with all the
    applications and files necessary to perform desktop support.

    "As high definition content becomes more prevalent and that consumers
    demand portability of their favorite videos, pictures and
    applications, the need for an ultra high capacity drive increases.
    With a 16GB drive, you can put the entire series of three Lord of the
    Rings movies, an operating system, chat programs, photo editing
    software and still have storage space available for more," said
    Richard Hashim, Director of Product Marketing at Corsair. "Consumers
    have learned to rely on Corsair Flash Voyage to safe guard their
    important content. The new Flash Voyager drive will protect the data
    even when the drive is exposed to the most extreme conditions."

    Built to Corsair's legendary quality and reliability standards, the
    new 16GB USB drive delivers sustained read and write performance at
    22MB/sec and 7MB/sec respectively. Taking full advantage of the new
    flash controller technology, the 16GB Flash Voyager features 8 bit
    Error Correcting Codes (ECC) -- the highest code scheme for flash
    based controller currently available. ECC provides sophisticated
    capabilities to enhance product reliability, which allows the drive to
    continue to operate even after repeated use over time.

    --
    When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's
    already
    habshi, Jan 27, 2007
  8. In article <>, hi@anony (habshi) wrote:

    > It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
    > reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
    > plasma tv.
    > An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

    You should set up your own (non)think tank!

    --
    Saucerheads - denying the blatantly obvious since 2000.
    Phineas T Puddleduck, Jan 27, 2007
  9. habshi

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:35:45 GMT, hi@anony (habshi) Gave us:

    >An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

    15GB $79 at Fry's
    MassiveProng, Jan 27, 2007
  10. habshi

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:54:46 +0000, Phineas T Puddleduck
    <> Gave us:

    >In article <>, hi@anony (habshi) wrote:
    >
    >> It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
    >> reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
    >> plasma tv.
    >> An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

    >You should set up your own (non)think tank!

    The data rate required in COMPRESSED Form coming off the disc will
    not be achieved by flash memory for a LONG time to come.

    Uncompressed even worse.

    Any "content" you buy or buy into coming from such a source is going
    to be very marginal in quality at best.

    The video files saved on memory stick on the PSP are a fine example
    of about what the max data rate can do at this time.

    Looks nice on a tiny screen... That's about it.
    MassiveProng, Jan 27, 2007
  11. habshi

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:35:45 GMT, habshi <hi@anony> wrote:

    > It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
    >reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
    >plasma tv.
    >An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

    What a bargain. Twenty times the price of a DLDVDRW. Makes me want to buy
    three hundred of them for my movie library.

    I personally would rather download from a video server into a HD file and forget
    the flash memory. However, before that can happen, we need something better
    than DRM to protect copyright.
    AZ Nomad, Jan 27, 2007
  12. MassiveProng <> writes:
    >On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:54:46 +0000, Phineas T Puddleduck
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>In article <>, hi@anony (habshi) wrote:
    >>
    >>> It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
    >>> reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
    >>> plasma tv.
    >>> An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

    >>You should set up your own (non)think tank!

    > The data rate required in COMPRESSED Form coming off the disc will
    >not be achieved by flash memory for a LONG time to come.

    You are confusing the data rate from the transport (typically USB)
    with the datarate from the underlying flash memory chips. As pointed
    out upthread, the upcoming solid state disk drives (flash behind a
    SATA transport and interface) can easily sustain datarates far better
    than DVD and as good as the fastest 15kRPM fibrechannel drives.

    scott
    Scott Lurndal, Jan 30, 2007
  13. habshi

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:00:13 GMT, Scott Lurndal <> wrote:

    >MassiveProng <> writes:
    >>On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:54:46 +0000, Phineas T Puddleduck
    >><> Gave us:

    >>>You should set up your own (non)think tank!

    >> The data rate required in COMPRESSED Form coming off the disc will
    >>not be achieved by flash memory for a LONG time to come.

    >You are confusing the data rate from the transport (typically USB)
    >with the datarate from the underlying flash memory chips. As pointed
    >out upthread, the upcoming solid state disk drives (flash behind a
    >SATA transport and interface) can easily sustain datarates far better
    >than DVD and as good as the fastest 15kRPM fibrechannel drives.

    Free hint: the limiting factor isn't the USB2 interface.
    AZ Nomad, Jan 30, 2007