    crap no one wants perhaps. Just looking for around 64 megs of ram.
    Kinda. dunno. Always greatfull for feedback.

    Cheers
    Troglodyte, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Troglodyte

    Adam R Guest

    "Troglodyte" <> wrote in message
    news:412dd454$...
    > Looking for a computer system. I have done some shopping around,
    > primarily trade me. Seems its not easy finding a second hand atx. (well,
    > and old cheap one anyway).hmmmmm. Anyways, Im looking for something to
    > play around with linux on. As a stand alone. say a pentium 200 or 400 or
    > something. doesnt need bells and whistles. Frankly I dont need em.
    >
    > If anyone has any pointers or suggestions as to where one might obtain
    > such a beastie. (keep it clean please) A shop that deals in secondhand
    > crap no one wants perhaps. Just looking for around 64 megs of ram. Kinda.
    > dunno. Always greatfull for feedback.
    >

    > Cheers

    Had that same thought and built up a Celeron 500 based Linux playbox, with
    256MB etc. Here is my experience:

    1) Do NOT use an Intel 740 AGP graphics card. Under no circumstances use
    this card. Even if someone pays you to take it, refuse. Life is just too
    short.
    2) Any of the more recent Linux distros are as hungry as WinXP for memory
    and CPU and disc. Mandrake 9 or 10 on a Celeron 500 will perform like....
    WinXP on a Celeron 500. Go-and-make-coffee-while-your-app-launches slow.
    3) Quay Computers Lower Hutt www.quay.co.nz has sometimes got 2nd hand MoBos
    with CPU and even memory, if you're lucky. Ian's the guy to deal with, he's
    excellent.

    Adam R, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Troglodyte

    ripping silk Guest

    Troglodyte wrote:

    > Looking for a computer system. I have done some shopping around,
    > primarily trade me. Seems its not easy finding a second hand atx.
    > (well, and old cheap one anyway).hmmmmm. Anyways, Im looking for
    > something to play around with linux on. As a stand alone. say a
    > pentium 200 or 400 or something. doesnt need bells and whistles.
    > Frankly I dont need em.
    >
    > If anyone has any pointers or suggestions as to where one might obtain
    > such a beastie. (keep it clean please) A shop that deals in secondhand
    > crap no one wants perhaps. Just looking for around 64 megs of ram.
    > Kinda. dunno. Always greatfull for feedback.
    >

    > Cheers

    could try a Dell Optiplex GX110 or similar. I got one at auction a
    year or two ago. Its a PIII 733, stable as a house. Linux makes
    everything work, and can get them on trademe for around $200 - 300.
    I packed mine with 160Gb storage and 512Mb RAM for serving, use it as
    a headless box using putty, vnc, apache, ws-ftpd etc.
    ripping silk, Aug 27, 2004