Could corrupt/wrong version/missing instances of these filescause Win98se to not BOOT.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David_nj_7@mailbolt.com, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I downloaded and installed a program FREE-BROWSER last week. During
    the installation process I got some type of error message (which I
    stupidly didn't copy down) saying something about having a problem
    registering a certain DLL file. I chose the RETRY option and then
    rebooted my PC.

    Problem is... Windows will only load a little bit, my wallpaper will
    appear without any icons and essentially my PC is non-functional. Safe
    mode will do the same thing. I have had similar issues in years past
    but usually they were accompanied by some type of error message where
    it would tell you the file at fault. In this case... there is no such
    message. I find this very unusual.

    Anyway... eveidently I forced a bad file on my PC that must be corrupt
    or the wrong version.

    I emailed the program developer and asked him if he had ever had any
    reports of his browser crashing a PC and he said no but he did supply
    me with a list of DLL files that came packaged with the program which
    could possibly affect Windows 98se.. They are......

    comdlg32.ocx
    mscomctl.ocx
    MSVBVM60.dll
    shdocvw.dll

    Now.... Looking at those 4 files there, will a corrupt or bad version
    of any of them be enough to prohibit Windows98se from booting up?
    Suggested fixes? I am in the process of creating a BOOT-DISK for my
    PC... but I'll need help using that one. Also... isn't it unusual to
    not get an error message saying which file is messing up?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID

    DELL Dimension T-450Mhz
    Win98se

    , Nov 11, 2005

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I downloaded and installed a program FREE-BROWSER last week. During
    > the installation process I got some type of error message (which I
    > stupidly didn't copy down) saying something about having a problem
    > registering a certain DLL file. I chose the RETRY option and then
    > rebooted my PC.
    >
    > Problem is... Windows will only load a little bit, my wallpaper will
    > appear without any icons and essentially my PC is non-functional. Safe
    > mode will do the same thing. I have had similar issues in years past

    <snip>

    boot to dos
    by hittting F8 upon bootup
    and select command prompt

    then run scanreg /restore
    and use a registry from a date before the problem.
    then do not attempt to install the defective software again !

    philo, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Unk Guest

    On 10 Nov 2005 17:06:10 -0800, wrote:

    >I downloaded and installed a program FREE-BROWSER last week. During
    >the installation process I got some type of error message (which I
    >stupidly didn't copy down) saying something about having a problem
    >registering a certain DLL file. I chose the RETRY option and then
    >rebooted my PC.
    >
    >Problem is... Windows will only load a little bit, my wallpaper will
    >appear without any icons and essentially my PC is non-functional. Safe
    >mode will do the same thing. I have had similar issues in years past
    >but usually they were accompanied by some type of error message where
    >it would tell you the file at fault. In this case... there is no such
    >message. I find this very unusual.
    >
    >Anyway... eveidently I forced a bad file on my PC that must be corrupt
    >or the wrong version.
    >
    >I emailed the program developer and asked him if he had ever had any
    >reports of his browser crashing a PC and he said no but he did supply
    >me with a list of DLL files that came packaged with the program which
    >could possibly affect Windows 98se.. They are......
    >
    >comdlg32.ocx
    >mscomctl.ocx
    >MSVBVM60.dll
    >shdocvw.dll
    >

    >Now.... Looking at those 4 files there, will a corrupt or bad version
    >of any of them be enough to prohibit Windows98se from booting up?
    >Suggested fixes? I am in the process of creating a BOOT-DISK for my
    >PC... but I'll need help using that one. Also... isn't it unusual to
    >not get an error message saying which file is messing up?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >DAVID
    >
    >DELL Dimension T-450Mhz
    >Win98se

    How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512

    Press and hold down the "Control" key during bootup until the Boot Menu appears, then select "5.
    Command prompt only". At the DOS prompt type "scanreg /restore" (Note the space)
    (You may need to type "cd c:\windows\command" if you get "bad command")
    Scan through the list and see if there's a date available when all was working correctly. If
    yes, restore that one, reboot.

    Unk, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Guest

    Ok... scanreg /restore was ineffective, producing dates newer than my
    program happened. BTW.... I checked the BOOT SEQUENCE in SET-UP and
    it is set to read the "A" drive (FLOPPY-removeable devices) but......
    when I have the BOOT DISK in, eveidently my computer don't see it
    because the first reference I see is the "C" drive.

    Is there anyway to FORCE the PC to read my floppy? Again, according to
    set-up it does read the floppy before the hard drive. BTW, yes the
    floppy is formatted and I followed all instructions when I made it from
    BOOTDISK.COM

    Any ideas as to why my PC is not reading the floopy even though the
    sequence is set to do so?

    thanks

    DAVID

    , Nov 12, 2005
  5. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ok... scanreg /restore was ineffective, producing dates newer than my
    > program happened. BTW.... I checked the BOOT SEQUENCE in SET-UP and
    > it is set to read the "A" drive (FLOPPY-removeable devices) but......
    > when I have the BOOT DISK in, eveidently my computer don't see it
    > because the first reference I see is the "C" drive.
    >
    > Is there anyway to FORCE the PC to read my floppy? Again, according to
    > set-up it does read the floppy before the hard drive. BTW, yes the
    > floppy is formatted and I followed all instructions when I made it from
    > BOOTDISK.COM
    >
    > Any ideas as to why my PC is not reading the floopy even though the
    > sequence is set to do so?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > DAVID

    The floppy disk has to be Bootable, if it`s not the system moves on, to the
    next Bootable device.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Guest

    Yes... I downloaded the Win98se OEM Boot Disk from www.bootdisk.com I
    followed all instructions exactly.....

    This is quite confusing as these boot disks are supposed to work.

    Thanks DAVID

    DELL PIII T-450
    Win98se

    , Nov 12, 2005
  7. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Yes... I downloaded the Win98se OEM Boot Disk from www.bootdisk.com I
    > followed all instructions exactly.....
    >
    > This is quite confusing as these boot disks are supposed to work.
    >
    > Thanks DAVID
    >
    > DELL PIII T-450
    > Win98se

    I can only suggest to you, that you format the floppy, and try again. It`s
    so long since I used 98SE, but I thought you could create one in windows.
    Try the Help files.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Nov 12, 2005
  8. Guest

    Hi... yes, you can create one in Windows, however the computer in
    discussion here will not boot-up, so I went to BOOTDISK.COM and got
    one. I got the floppy from the library... and it said FORMATTED right
    on the box.

    Thanks

    DAVID

    , Nov 12, 2005
  9. Guest

    Still no luck here. I did a scanreg.exe /fix, and although it said it
    rebuilt my registry successfully, I am still having the same problem.
    I still cannot get the boot disk to work despite trying several
    different ones.

    I have had DLL issues in the past and was directed to my CAB files via
    a C prompt. I then replaced the DLL(s) that were the wrong version(s)

    The thing that gets me about this issue is that I got no ERROR MESSAGE.

    Usually, in the past I would get an error message telling me what file

    was the culprit. This time, I did not. Isn't that a little bit
    unusual?

    Thanks...

    DAVID

    , Nov 16, 2005
  10. Guest

    PROBLEM SOLVED :)

    >From the startup menu (tap F8 at startup) select Command Prompt Only.

    At the C:\> prompt type

    cd windows\system (hit enter)

    At the C:\windows\system prompt type

    copy shdocvw.bak shdocvw.dll (hit enter)

    You should get a "1 file copied" message.

    Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart. See if this restores your desktop.

    Well guys... That's the fix that did the trick. I appreciate all the
    support I've received in here. Thanks

    DAVID

    , Nov 17, 2005