Could C each other, but could not connect

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by vijaiakumar@gmail.com, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi.,

    I have 2 laptops (1 is Latitude D620, 2 is Latitude C610) provided by
    my office to research on ad-hoc network.

    D620 has 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.
    C610 has 3COM 3CRPAG175 Wireless LAN PC Card.

    (Don't ask, why you have this configuration. It was there like that,
    my office seniors want to have like that.)

    I created an ad-hoc network in both the laptops with same SSID, in
    channel 1. And I could able to see each other machines in another.
    And When I click connect, it's getting connected. I could see it both
    the laptops saying the wireless connected with 'ScotNG' (the SSID).
    Also, the signal is excellent.

    But, the problem is, when I try to access the other machine, it says
    "The network location cannot be reached".

    When, I ping it says "Ping request could not find host <machine name>"

    Guys, Basically, I am not a network guy. I am damn new for this kinda
    work. Pls. Help me...

    , Jun 25, 2007

  2. Guest

    Hi all,

    I set Ip address on both the laptops

    D620:

    IP - 192.168.8.135
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    default gateway - 192.168.8.1
    dns server - 192.168.8.1

    C610:

    IP - 192.168.8.158
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    default gateway - 192.168.8.1
    dns server - 192.168.8.1

    Still, i have the same issue, like, it says it got connected, but I
    could not access other laptop.

    when I ping, this time, it showed me like 'Request timed out'

    I feel like getting close to the trap, but revolving around ...help me
    pls....

    On Jun 24, 7:23 pm, wrote:
    > Hi.,
    >
    > I have 2 laptops (1 is Latitude D620, 2 is Latitude C610) provided by
    > my office to research on ad-hoc network.
    >
    > D620 has 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.
    > C610 has 3COM 3CRPAG175 Wireless LAN PC Card.
    >
    > (Don't ask, why you have this configuration. It was there like that,
    > my office seniors want to have like that.)
    >
    > I created an ad-hoc network in both the laptops with same SSID, in
    > channel 1. And I could able to see each other machines in another.
    > And When I click connect, it's getting connected. I could see it both
    > the laptops saying the wireless connected with 'ScotNG' (the SSID).
    > Also, the signal is excellent.
    >
    > But, the problem is, when I try to access the other machine, it says
    > "The network location cannot be reached".
    >
    > When, I ping it says "Ping request could not find host <machine name>"
    >
    > Guys, Basically, I am not a network guy. I am damn new for this kinda
    > work. Pls. Help me...

    , Jun 25, 2007

  3. Mr. Arnold Guest

    > I created an ad-hoc network in both the laptops with same SSID, in
    > channel 1. And I could able to see each other machines in another.
    > And When I click connect, it's getting connected. I could see it both
    > the laptops saying the wireless connected with 'ScotNG' (the SSID).
    > Also, the signal is excellent.

    Ad-hoc wireless networking and the XP O/S, if you're using the XP O/S is
    suspect to say the least about it.

    You may also want to post to alt.internet.wireless for more help.

    Mr. Arnold, Jun 25, 2007
  4. wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I set Ip address on both the laptops
    >
    > D620:
    >
    > IP - 192.168.8.135
    > subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    > default gateway - 192.168.8.1
    > dns server - 192.168.8.1
    >

    > C610:
    >
    > IP - 192.168.8.158
    > subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    > default gateway - 192.168.8.1
    > dns server - 192.168.8.1
    >
    > Still, i have the same issue, like, it says it got connected, but I
    > could not access other laptop.
    >
    > when I ping, this time, it showed me like 'Request timed out'
    >
    > I feel like getting close to the trap, but revolving around ...help me
    > pls....

    A wireless AP or router isn't that expensive, and it allows for encryption
    (wpa is a must-have).
    Now "just for a test" ... did you allow the counterpart IPs incoming and
    ICMP in your (XP) firewalls?

    Walter Mautner, Jun 25, 2007