    after I filled up a 60 minute tape letting it sit using the
    viewfinder. I'd like to know if my battery is defective or if this is
    normal.

    Tom, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Tom

    stacey Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > The manual says the max recording time using the viewfinder is 100
    > minutes and the typical recording time is 55 minutes for the BP-508.
    > Are people really getting only an hour of record time using the
    > viewfinder until the camcorder shuts off, or is the manual inaccurate?
    >
    > I didn't do any zooms or start/stops, and the battery ran out shortly
    > after I filled up a 60 minute tape letting it sit using the
    > viewfinder. I'd like to know if my battery is defective or if this is
    > normal.

    Sounds like from the manual and your test it's working as it should. They do
    make a bigger battery. I have a ZR40 and got a spare battery so I wouldn't
    have to sweat it. You -are- talking about using it with the flip out
    finder? That does waste a bunch of the battery shooting it that way and
    makes for shakey footage.

    BTW a hour of video in a BUNCH of video!

    --

    Stacey

    stacey, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Typically a battery will yield the highest amount of recording time
    according to the demands the user places on it. The 100 minutes you mention
    may be fairly accurate when using the viewfinder as apposed to the LCD
    screen, but there are other considerations which pretain to all camcorder
    battery life. The 100 minutes using the viewfinder may only be an accurate
    time if the user does not use the zoom funtion very much, or even not at
    all. Anytime you begin to zoom in and out your are using more and more of
    the battery, which in turn cuts down on overall time the battery power will
    last.

    If you get a battery with a greater amount of minutes with each charge up,
    then the usage of the zoom and LCD will not have as great a bearing on the
    amount of recording time to tape. There is nothing wrong with your battery,
    you just did not know what to expect or why to expect it. But then again how
    could you? They don't exactly always make these points crystal clear for the
    user.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    Larry Johnson, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Tom

    Randy Guest

    The BP-508 is the lowest-rated battery Canon supplies with camcorders in the
    US-it's basically a throwaway. It's so low (700 mAh) that Canon doesn't even
    bother selling it separately.

    Do yourself a favor and get one of the beefier battery packs.

    Randy, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for the reply. For the test I performed where I got about 60
    minutes of record time and around 5 minutes of playback time, I only
    used the viewfinder for recording (not the flip-out LCD) and I did not
    start/stop or zoom. I simply set the camera down after charging the
    battery to full on a window sill, started record, came back 59 minutes
    later, hit stop, switched to Tape mode, rewound the tape to the
    beginning, hit play, and at that point I flipped open the viewfinder
    (to activate the speaker). In under 5 minutes of play the battery went
    out.

    I also asked a camera salesman at Best Buy (not that they know that
    much) and he said I should've gotten at least another 20-30 minutes
    doing what I did. However, it's a lot of trouble to exchange the
    camcorder just to get a different battery around Christmas time, and I
    doubt Canon would consider this grounds to exchange my battery.

    The only reason I asked the question is my Canon ZR60 box was sold as
    brand new by Walmart, but it had clearly been previously opened by
    someone judging by a torn wrapper on the manual, a few fingerprints on
    the camera and battery, and the battery has a little dent on it. I
    doubt Canon sends it out this way. So I was trying to gauge if my 65
    minutes was about par, or if everyone was getting a lot more time and
    I should try to exchange the battery because it had been abused before
    I got it.

    Judging by the few replies I got, mine may be a little short, but this
    short record time could still be normal for this battery (meaning it
    might not have been abused).

    Tom, Dec 20, 2003