    I know there are some virus that can open the cd unit, but I have this
    question, can they be infected too?

    Greetins and best regards
    satyne, Mar 26, 2007

  2. satyne

    Todd H. Guest

    "satyne" <> writes:

    > Hello everyone:
    >
    > I have a question long ago, don´t know if this is possible
    >
    > is it possible that a disquette and a cd-rom be infected remotely, I
    > mean, without having physic access to the computer?

    A floppy disk, sure. Any malware that can run anything arbitrary on
    the computer can arbitrarily infect whatever writable media is
    connected to it.

    A CD-R is not possible to infect since it's read-only media. I
    imagine a CD-RW that isn't closed or whatever might be technically
    possible, but the odds are so slim that there's on in any given cd
    burner that I doubt anyone would bother coding for such a thing.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Mar 26, 2007

  3. Todd H. wrote:

    > "satyne" <> writes:
    >
    >> Hello everyone:
    >>
    >> I have a question long ago, don´t know if this is possible
    >>
    >> is it possible that a disquette and a cd-rom be infected remotely, I
    >> mean, without having physic access to the computer?

    > A floppy disk, sure. Any malware that can run anything arbitrary on
    > the computer can arbitrarily infect whatever writable media is
    > connected to it.
    >
    > A CD-R is not possible to infect since it's read-only media. I
    > imagine a CD-RW that isn't closed or whatever might be technically
    > possible, but the odds are so slim that there's on in any given cd
    > burner that I doubt anyone would bother coding for such a thing.

    You don't need to code anything, it's already implemented in Windows.

    IMAPI + Administrative Shares = teh bad
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 26, 2007
  4. satyne

    kurt wismer Guest

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "satyne" <> writes:
    >
    >> Hello everyone:
    >>
    >> I have a question long ago, don´t know if this is possible
    >>
    >> is it possible that a disquette and a cd-rom be infected remotely, I
    >> mean, without having physic access to the computer?

    > A floppy disk, sure. Any malware that can run anything arbitrary on
    > the computer can arbitrarily infect whatever writable media is
    > connected to it.
    >
    > A CD-R is not possible to infect since it's read-only media. I
    > imagine a CD-RW that isn't closed or whatever might be technically
    > possible, but the odds are so slim that there's on in any given cd
    > burner that I doubt anyone would bother coding for such a thing.

    actually, it's a cd-rom that's read only media (rom = read only
    media)... a cd-r is writable, and a cd-rw is rewritable so what you said
    for cd-rw is actually true for cd-r and cd-rw may actually as infectable
    as a floppy (depending on how it was prepared)...

    --
    "it's not the right time to be sober
    now the idiots have taken over
    kurt wismer, Mar 27, 2007
  5. satyne

    Todd H. Guest

    kurt wismer <> writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > "satyne" <> writes:
    > >
    > >> Hello everyone:
    > >>
    > >> I have a question long ago, don´t know if this is possible
    > >>
    > >> is it possible that a disquette and a cd-rom be infected remotely, I
    > >> mean, without having physic access to the computer?

    > > A floppy disk, sure. Any malware that can run anything arbitrary on
    > > the computer can arbitrarily infect whatever writable media is
    > > connected to it. A CD-R is not possible to infect since it's
    > > read-only media. I
    > > imagine a CD-RW that isn't closed or whatever might be technically
    > > possible, but the odds are so slim that there's on in any given cd
    > > burner that I doubt anyone would bother coding for such a thing.

    > actually, it's a cd-rom that's read only media (rom = read only
    > media)... a cd-r is writable, and a cd-rw is rewritable so what you
    > said for cd-rw is actually true for cd-r and cd-rw may actually as
    > infectable as a floppy (depending on how it was prepared)...

    Good point. I had a closed, finalized CD-R in my head, but was pretty
    darned sloppy in that post. Thanks for cleaning it up.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Mar 27, 2007
  6. satyne

    Unruh Guest

    kurt wismer <> writes:

    >Todd H. wrote:
    >> "satyne" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Hello everyone:
    >>>
    >>> I have a question long ago, don´t know if this is possible
    >>>
    >>> is it possible that a disquette and a cd-rom be infected remotely, I
    >>> mean, without having physic access to the computer?

    >> A floppy disk, sure. Any malware that can run anything arbitrary on
    >> the computer can arbitrarily infect whatever writable media is
    >> connected to it.
    >>
    >> A CD-R is not possible to infect since it's read-only media. I
    >> imagine a CD-RW that isn't closed or whatever might be technically
    >> possible, but the odds are so slim that there's on in any given cd
    >> burner that I doubt anyone would bother coding for such a thing.

    >actually, it's a cd-rom that's read only media (rom = read only
    >media)... a cd-r is writable, and a cd-rw is rewritable so what you said
    >for cd-rw is actually true for cd-r and cd-rw may actually as infectable
    >as a floppy (d/epending on how it was prepared)...

    Once a cdr has been written it is read only.

    Unruh, Mar 27, 2007
  7. Unruh wrote:

    >>actually, it's a cd-rom that's read only media (rom = read only
    >>media)... a cd-r is writable, and a cd-rw is rewritable so what you said
    >>for cd-rw is actually true for cd-r and cd-rw may actually as infectable
    >>as a floppy (d/epending on how it was prepared)...

    > Once a cdr has been written it is read only.

    Wrong. It's called 'session'.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 27, 2007
  8. satyne

    satyne Guest

    Thanks everyone

    so I understand I have to be more careful with the cd-rw, and the
    floppy disks,
    I have windows operating system recorded in a cd-rw, so maybe I should
    make another copy of it......lately I´m having problems with windows,
    even after formating the computer I get a critical error message

    greetins :)

    satyne, Mar 27, 2007
  9. satyne

    kurt wismer Guest

    Unruh wrote:
    > kurt wismer <> writes:

    [snip]
    >> actually, it's a cd-rom that's read only media (rom = read only
    >> media)... a cd-r is writable, and a cd-rw is rewritable so what you said
    >> for cd-rw is actually true for cd-r and cd-rw may actually as infectable
    >> as a floppy (d/epending on how it was prepared)...

    > Once a cdr has been written it is read only.

    the portion that has been written is read only, but so long as the disk
    isn't finalized and there's still some free space more can be written to
    it...

    kurt wismer, Mar 27, 2007
  10. satyne

    Unruh Guest

    "satyne" <> writes:

    >Thanks everyone

    >so I understand I have to be more careful with the cd-rw, and the
    >floppy disks,

    They CAN be problematic. If you want to be sure, write the stuff to a CDR
    instead. They cannot change that. (and yes, finalize it)

    >I have windows operating system recorded in a cd-rw, so maybe I should
    >make another copy of it......lately I=B4m having problems with windows,
    >even after formating the computer I get a critical error message

    Well, IF someone has written to it then making a copy will not help. It is
    already damaged.

    Unruh, Mar 27, 2007