    TIA

    AL

    , Jan 31, 2007

  2. MassiveProng Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:33:37 -0500, Gave us:

    >Does anyone know if Costco is still giving a lifetime or 1 year
    >warranty on their portale dvd players? Any that has purchased one in the
    >last couple of months will probably know. I cannot get any info via
    >phone and am not a member.

    Who did you go in the store with as a guest to buy it?

    THAT person would have to return it, and they will take it back from
    a member no matter what. It has to have been bought by their card
    though.

    MassiveProng, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Guest

    Thanks MP for reply. I didn't quite state my question correctly. I just
    got thru to the Costco return desk and was told that the portable dvd
    players are warranted for one year by the Mfg, not by Costco. I asked
    her if that meant i could not bring it back to Costco after one year?
    She was evasive and said "I did not say that". So my question still is:
    Does Costco refund,exchange or give a credit toward another unit after
    one year if you have a legit problem? If they do, wouldn't it be foolish
    to purchase the Mfg. extended warranty?

    AL

    , Jan 31, 2007
  4. snapper Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:38:19 -0500, wrote:

    >Thanks MP for reply. I didn't quite state my question correctly. I just
    >got thru to the Costco return desk and was told that the portable dvd
    >players are warranted for one year by the Mfg, not by Costco. I asked
    >her if that meant i could not bring it back to Costco after one year?
    >She was evasive and said "I did not say that". So my question still is:
    >Does Costco refund,exchange or give a credit toward another unit after
    >one year if you have a legit problem? If they do, wouldn't it be foolish
    >to purchase the Mfg. extended warranty?
    >
    >AL

    I looked at a portabe DVD player at Costco and it said it played
    DVD-R. I'm not sure if it will play DVD+R so I didn't get it. I
    would think all the stuff manufactured today would play both. Then
    again maybe they ment DVD+-R and not DVD-RW.

    snapper, Jan 31, 2007
  5. MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:38:19 -0500, Gave us:

    >Thanks MP for reply. I didn't quite state my question correctly. I just
    >got thru to the Costco return desk and was told that the portable dvd
    >players are warranted for one year by the Mfg, not by Costco. I asked
    >her if that meant i could not bring it back to Costco after one year?
    >She was evasive and said "I did not say that". So my question still is:
    >Does Costco refund,exchange or give a credit toward another unit after
    >one year if you have a legit problem? If they do, wouldn't it be foolish
    >to purchase the Mfg. extended warranty?

    Again, I have never done it, but AFAIK they will allow you to return
    anything, even years later.

    I have never needed to do this, and it sounded TGTBT when I was told
    it, but the guy that told me (former boss) shopped there a lot more
    than I did, and I trusted his words.

    So I dunno.

    MassiveProng, Feb 1, 2007
  6. wrote in news:17240-45C0F02B-1279@storefull-
    3278.bay.webtv.net:

    > Thanks MP for reply. I didn't quite state my question correctly. I just
    > got thru to the Costco return desk and was told that the portable dvd
    > players are warranted for one year by the Mfg, not by Costco. I asked
    > her if that meant i could not bring it back to Costco after one year?
    > She was evasive and said "I did not say that". So my question still is:
    > Does Costco refund,exchange or give a credit toward another unit after
    > one year if you have a legit problem? If they do, wouldn't it be foolish
    > to purchase the Mfg. extended warranty?

    Costco has a history of having a very lenient return/exhange policy. I've
    heard of people bringing back stuff three years after they bought it and
    getting exchanges. While it's very nice of them to extend such a courtesy,
    they are under no obligation to and their policy could change at any time.
    That's why the CSR didn't get specific about it-- they follow guidelines,
    not rules.

    The manufacturer's extended warranty, on the other hand, is a legally
    binding contract entitling you to certian satisfaction should the product
    fail under normal circumstances. It's worth the money in that you have
    an absolute guarantee that your product will be repaired/replaced. Weigh
    the idea of a binding document vs. a flexible return policy, and compare
    that to what the extended warranty or Costco membership costs.

    As always, read the fine print.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 1, 2007
  7. Stan Brown Guest

    Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:00:47 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:
    > The manufacturer's extended warranty, on the other hand, is a legally
    > binding contract entitling you to certian satisfaction should the product
    > fail under normal circumstances. It's worth the money in that you have
    > an absolute guarantee that your product will be repaired/replaced.

    It *may* be worth the money, but probably isn't.

    Multiply the probability the unit will need replacement, times the
    cost of replacing it, and compare that to the cost of the warranty.

    For most durable goods the extended warranty is a horribly bad deal
    for consumers because it's a hugely profitable item for sellers.
    That's especially true with electronics, where you know prices are
    going to continue to fall.

    If you buy a DVD player today for $150 (fairly high end for a plain
    player), you know within a couple years the same player (or one more
    capable) will cost about $50. If there's less than a 20% chance the
    player will fail within that time -- almost certainly true -- then
    the value of the extended warranty is not $150 but $50 times 20%,
    which is $10.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 1, 2007
  8. Stan Brown wrote:
    > Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:00:47 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    > @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:
    >> The manufacturer's extended warranty, on the other hand, is a legally
    >> binding contract entitling you to certian satisfaction should the product
    >> fail under normal circumstances. It's worth the money in that you have
    >> an absolute guarantee that your product will be repaired/replaced.

    > It *may* be worth the money, but probably isn't.
    >
    > Multiply the probability the unit will need replacement, times the
    > cost of replacing it, and compare that to the cost of the warranty.
    >
    > For most durable goods the extended warranty is a horribly bad deal
    > for consumers because it's a hugely profitable item for sellers.
    > That's especially true with electronics, where you know prices are
    > going to continue to fall.
    >
    > If you buy a DVD player today for $150 (fairly high end for a plain
    > player), you know within a couple years the same player (or one more
    > capable) will cost about $50. If there's less than a 20% chance the
    > player will fail within that time -- almost certainly true -- then
    > the value of the extended warranty is not $150 but $50 times 20%,
    > which is $10.

    You're absolutely correct, Stan. Unfortunately, as I've learned, trying
    to educate people about this issue is an uphill battle, and electronics
    stores rake in HUGE profits on the sales of what are basically pieces of
    paper (hell, I'd probably RUN a Best Buy by now if I had displayed any
    willingness whatsoever to push that junk on people).

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Feb 1, 2007
  9. Stan Brown <> wrote in

    > Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:00:47 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    > @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:
    >> The manufacturer's extended warranty, on the other hand, is a legally
    >> binding contract entitling you to certian satisfaction should the
    >> product fail under normal circumstances. It's worth the money in
    >> that you have an absolute guarantee that your product will be
    >> repaired/replaced.

    > It *may* be worth the money, but probably isn't.
    >
    > Multiply the probability the unit will need replacement, times the
    > cost of replacing it, and compare that to the cost of the warranty.

    This is the question you should ask yourself any time you're offered
    an extended warranty.

    > For most durable goods the extended warranty is a horribly bad deal
    > for consumers because it's a hugely profitable item for sellers.

    I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this logic. Why is an item a
    bad deal simply because the seller makes money off of it? That's what
    sellers are supposed to do. The real question is, does the service
    sold provide enough value for what the customer paid for it?

    There are some items for which an extended warranty is a given: Laptop
    computers and high-end TVs. The chances of something going wrong are
    fairly high, and the cost of repair/replacement makes the initial
    warranty purchase a more practical alternative. Other items, such as
    desktop PCs, mp3 players, and yes, DVD players, are less likely to be
    serviced, and usually I'd advise getting the warranty only if the price
    is exceptionally cheap.

    Extended warranties are neither good nor bad, it's just a matter of
    what you get out of the deal.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 1, 2007
  10. Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:15:17 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:
    > I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this logic. Why is an item a
    > bad deal simply because the seller makes money off of it?

    If they gain financially, you lose financially. This is basic
    statistics. Sellers establish reserves for how much they expect to
    have to pay off on their extended warranties; those reserves are
    always less and usually much less than the amount taken in. In other
    words, the sellers' own figures show that the warranties aren't worth
    what they cost.

    Sure, it's worth it to *you* if your appliance dies and you get a new
    one free. But over the long haul, if you buy other extended
    warranties, on average you'll lay out more for the warranties than
    you have to replace the products that actually fail.

    Perhaps your confusion is because you're looking at what *might* go
    wrong. But that's only half the picture: you must also consider the
    probability of that scenario. The less likely it is, the less
    valuable the warranty, which is really just a form of insurance.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 1, 2007
  11. Stan Brown <> wrote in

    > Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:15:17 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    > @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:
    >> I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this logic. Why is an item a
    >> bad deal simply because the seller makes money off of it?

    > If they gain financially, you lose financially. This is basic
    > statistics. Sellers establish reserves for how much they expect to
    > have to pay off on their extended warranties; those reserves are
    > always less and usually much less than the amount taken in. In other
    > words, the sellers' own figures show that the warranties aren't worth
    > what they cost.

    Which is why Rule #2 of Extended Warranties is "Always use them when
    you have them." Lots of people buy them and then never cash them in,
    which is of course a loss for the customer. And silly. Me, I keep the
    paperwork on hand and am ready to call the 1-800 number as soon as
    anything happens. As a result, I've never lost money on an extended
    warranty.

    > Sure, it's worth it to *you* if your appliance dies and you get a new
    > one free. But over the long haul, if you buy other extended
    > warranties, on average you'll lay out more for the warranties than
    > you have to replace the products that actually fail.

    Which is why you don't buy them on everything, and I'd never suggest
    that you should. You come out ahead when you pick-and-choose.

    > Perhaps your confusion is because you're looking at what *might* go
    > wrong. But that's only half the picture: you must also consider the
    > probability of that scenario. The less likely it is, the less
    > valuable the warranty, which is really just a form of insurance.

    Exactly. There are products which tend to have a high failure
    rate, and for which repairs do tend to be very expensive. To
    *not* buy an extended warranty on them is just being careless. Such
    products are in the minority of purchases, but it's something the
    customer should consider before making their decision. The OP, for
    example, is considering buying a portable DVD player, and wants
    to know how he/she can protect their purchase. Now, I personally
    wouldn't buy an extended warranty on that item, but the OP is asking
    exactly the right question: "What is the best (and cheapest) way I
    can assure myself I won't be stuck with a dead unit?"

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 1, 2007
  12. Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:53:46 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    @SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:

    > Which is why Rule #2 of Extended Warranties is "Always use them when
    > you have them." Lots of people buy them and then never cash them in,
    > which is of course a loss for the customer. And silly. Me, I keep the
    > paperwork on hand and am ready to call the 1-800 number as soon as
    > anything happens. As a result, I've never lost money on an extended
    > warranty.

    Of course you have -- every one you never had occasion to use is lost
    money.

    The point is that a very high percentage of what consumers pay on
    extenfded warranties is lost money. I'm not talking about the people
    who have a legitimate claim and don't pursue it, but about people who
    never have a claim. Companies pay out very little of those premiums
    in claims.

    By contrast, a much smaller percentage of car insurance or
    homeowner's or life insurance is lost money; insurance companies pay
    our a much higher percentage of premiums in claims. In fact,
    sometimes they pay out more than 100%, since they use both premium
    payments and investment income to pay claims.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Feb 2, 2007
  13. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown <> wrote:
    >Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:53:46 -0600 from Aaron J. Bossig <linkvb06
    >@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net>:
    >
    >> Which is why Rule #2 of Extended Warranties is "Always use them when
    >> you have them." Lots of people buy them and then never cash them in,
    >> which is of course a loss for the customer. And silly. Me, I keep the
    >> paperwork on hand and am ready to call the 1-800 number as soon as
    >> anything happens. As a result, I've never lost money on an extended
    >> warranty.

    >Of course you have -- every one you never had occasion to use is lost
    >money.
    >
    >The point is that a very high percentage of what consumers pay on
    >extenfded warranties is lost money. I'm not talking about the people
    >who have a legitimate claim and don't pursue it, but about people who
    >never have a claim. Companies pay out very little of those premiums
    >in claims.

    The majority of money we pay on health insurance is lost money but goddamn you
    are very greatful when you have that heart attack and need to have bypass
    surgery!!!!

    GMAN, Feb 2, 2007
  14. Doug Jacobs Guest

    MassiveProng <> wrote:

    > Again, I have never done it, but AFAIK they will allow you to return
    > anything, even years later.

    I've heard a few folks do this - even with very large items like TVs.

    We've returned stuff months later with no problem.

    It seems that so long as they're still selling the item, and you have a
    receipt, they'll take it back.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 2, 2007
  15. Doug Jacobs Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig <> wrote:

    > I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this logic. Why is an item a
    > bad deal simply because the seller makes money off of it? That's what
    > sellers are supposed to do. The real question is, does the service
    > sold provide enough value for what the customer paid for it?

    In many cases, the warranties don't provide a whole lot.

    > There are some items for which an extended warranty is a given: Laptop
    > computers and high-end TVs. The chances of something going wrong are
    > fairly high, and the cost of repair/replacement makes the initial
    > warranty purchase a more practical alternative. Other items, such as
    > desktop PCs, mp3 players, and yes, DVD players, are less likely to be
    > serviced, and usually I'd advise getting the warranty only if the price
    > is exceptionally cheap.

    Even for these high-cost items, you should always be aware of what the MFG's
    warranty covers. In some cases, the so-called "extended" warranty adds
    nothing beyond what the MFG's warranty does.

    As for electronics, if the item manages to work for the first month you
    use it, chances are it's OK and not going to have any problems beyond
    normal wear&tear (which isn't covered.) Hopefully you did some research
    into the product's reliability and chose one that tended to have a low
    occurence of repairs. The extended warranties tend to only cover things
    like a manufacturing defect - which would most likely have become apparent
    during your initial uses of the product. Also, if it turned out to be a
    manfuacturing defect requiring a recall, the shipping parts and labor are
    paid for by the manufacturer anyways.

    > Extended warranties are neither good nor bad, it's just a matter of
    > what you get out of the deal.

    True, but in many cases, the extended warranty program offered by many
    stores isn't a good a deal.

    Now, I recently bought a large screen TV from a smaller store and did buy
    their extended warranty mainly because it includes one free bulb change -
    which would normally cost almost as much as the warranty plan in the first
    place. Their warranty plan also offers a number of consumer-friendly
    options - mainly because the store wants to keep you coming back
    repeatedly for all your AV needs.

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 2, 2007
  16. Doug Jacobs Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig <> wrote:

    > Which is why Rule #2 of Extended Warranties is "Always use them when
    > you have them." Lots of people buy them and then never cash them in,
    > which is of course a loss for the customer. And silly. Me, I keep the
    > paperwork on hand and am ready to call the 1-800 number as soon as
    > anything happens. As a result, I've never lost money on an extended
    > warranty.

    So...you've had something go wrong, with every major purchase you've made,
    that's either been outside the MFG's warranty or not covered by it?
    That's pretty improbable.

    Sure, if you DID buy the warranty, you'd be stupid NOT to use it if
    something actually did go wrong.

    However, the warranty is basically an insurance policy. It's a bet
    between you and the store. You're betting the store $X that nothing will
    go wrong with your item within the time covered by their warranty. If
    they win, they keep your money. If you win, you get the item replaced.

    Since the store's goal is to make money, you don't think they'd make a bet
    that was statistically designed for them to LOSE money on do you? Sure,
    statistically speaking, they'll have to pay out a few times. But you can
    be sure it's way fewer times than they end up "winning."

    > Which is why you don't buy them on everything, and I'd never suggest
    > that you should. You come out ahead when you pick-and-choose.

    It's going to depend on the terms of the warranty. Best Buy's warranties
    are actually pretty useless overall. They don't cover batteries, for
    instance. They don't cover dead pixels in LCD screens. Of course the
    clerks will tell you simply have to bring the thing back in, say "it don't
    work no more" and they'll give you a new one - but think about it, if it
    were really that easy and permissive, why wouldn't everyone use it to get
    a "free" upgrade?

    > > Perhaps your confusion is because you're looking at what *might* go
    > > wrong. But that's only half the picture: you must also consider the
    > > probability of that scenario. The less likely it is, the less
    > > valuable the warranty, which is really just a form of insurance.

    > Exactly. There are products which tend to have a high failure
    > rate, and for which repairs do tend to be very expensive. To
    > *not* buy an extended warranty on them is just being careless. Such
    > products are in the minority of purchases, but it's something the
    > customer should consider before making their decision. The OP, for
    > example, is considering buying a portable DVD player, and wants
    > to know how he/she can protect their purchase. Now, I personally
    > wouldn't buy an extended warranty on that item, but the OP is asking
    > exactly the right question: "What is the best (and cheapest) way I
    > can assure myself I won't be stuck with a dead unit?"

    Again, if something were to go wrong with an item, it's going to occur
    fairly early on most of the time. This would fall within the MFG's
    warranty - if not return policy of the store itself! So what exactly does
    the extended warranty do for you? Usually, not much. ESPECIALLY on
    mobile/portable products.

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 2, 2007
  17. Doug Jacobs Guest

    GMAN <> wrote:

    > The majority of money we pay on health insurance is lost money but goddamn you
    > are very greatful when you have that heart attack and need to have bypass
    > surgery!!!!

    True - but then I didn't come with a warranty from my manufacturer, either
    ;)

    Doug Jacobs, Feb 2, 2007
  18. Doug Jacobs <> wrote in

    >> There are some items for which an extended warranty is a given:
    >> Laptop computers and high-end TVs. The chances of something going
    >> wrong are fairly high, and the cost of repair/replacement makes the
    >> initial warranty purchase a more practical alternative. Other items,
    >> such as desktop PCs, mp3 players, and yes, DVD players, are less
    >> likely to be serviced, and usually I'd advise getting the warranty
    >> only if the price is exceptionally cheap.

    > Even for these high-cost items, you should always be aware of what the
    > MFG's warranty covers.

    Absolutely.

    > In some cases, the so-called "extended"
    > warranty adds nothing beyond what the MFG's warranty does.

    Very true. Always read the fine print. Also, if you are going to
    buy an extended warranty, shop around. You can get them from
    manufacturers, dealers, and third parties. Some offer better deals than
    others.

    > As for electronics, if the item manages to work for the first month
    > you use it, chances are it's OK and not going to have any problems
    > beyond normal wear&tear (which isn't covered.)

    That has not been my experience.

    > Now, I recently bought a large screen TV from a smaller store and did
    > buy their extended warranty mainly because it includes one free bulb
    > change - which would normally cost almost as much as the warranty plan
    > in the first place. Their warranty plan also offers a number of
    > consumer-friendly options - mainly because the store wants to keep you
    > coming back repeatedly for all your AV needs.

    The two things I always advise warranties on are big screen TVs (for the
    reason you just mentioned) and laptop computers. The warranty on my
    computer includes replacement batteries, and since I do tend to want
    new batteries every year, that'll pay for those. Plus, mine covers
    accidental damage (great for a guy who takes his laptop all over the
    world). Also, I'm really picky about dead pixels and stuff like that,
    which is also covered. In this particular case, the fine print is my
    friend.

    Of course, I'd not be as confident in getting it on other types of
    products.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 3, 2007
  19. Doug Jacobs <> wrote in

    >> Which is why Rule #2 of Extended Warranties is "Always use them when
    >> you have them." Lots of people buy them and then never cash them in,
    >> which is of course a loss for the customer. And silly. Me, I keep
    >> the paperwork on hand and am ready to call the 1-800 number as soon
    >> as anything happens. As a result, I've never lost money on an
    >> extended warranty.

    > So...you've had something go wrong, with every major purchase you've
    > made, that's either been outside the MFG's warranty or not covered by
    > it? That's pretty improbable.

    No, I didn't say that. I'm saying I've had something go wrong with
    every major purchase for which I've had an extended warranty. Between
    battery replacements and laptop issues, it's worked out.

    > Since the store's goal is to make money, you don't think they'd make a
    > bet that was statistically designed for them to LOSE money on do you?
    > Sure, statistically speaking, they'll have to pay out a few times.
    > But you can be sure it's way fewer times than they end up "winning."

    Hey, that's why I cash them in. I'm not worried about the people that
    don't file a claim.

    > Again, if something were to go wrong with an item, it's going to occur
    > fairly early on most of the time. This would fall within the MFG's
    > warranty - if not return policy of the store itself!

    I don't agree with that.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 3, 2007
  20. MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:22:30 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> Gave us:

    >MassiveProng <> wrote:
    >
    >> Again, I have never done it, but AFAIK they will allow you to return
    >> anything, even years later.

    >I've heard a few folks do this - even with very large items like TVs.
    >
    >We've returned stuff months later with no problem.
    >
    >It seems that so long as they're still selling the item, and you have a
    >receipt, they'll take it back.

    Even when they are NOT still selling it. Years later, I was told.

    MassiveProng, Feb 3, 2007