    superviser. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

    Thanks,
    John
    John Briggs, Jun 9, 2004

  2. John Briggs

    wayne Guest

    I had a similar problem at Wal-mart I brought in 35mm film and had it put on
    a CD the files are all from 1 to 1.9 MB in size wolf Camera on the other
    had files in the 4 MB range which were much better! While I might go to
    Wal Mart for film developing I will not go back to get CDs made

    Wayne

    "John Briggs" <> wrote in message
    > I took a 256MB SD card to Costco (UK) and had them produce a CD for me.
    >
    > All my original images were 4MP (2304 x 1728) JPEGs on the SD card but the
    > CD images are all 1.5MP (1536 x 1024) JPEGs and the files have been

    renamed
    > (and are, not surprisingly, about 3/8 of the original size).
    >
    > I can't make Costco understand that this is a problem (i.e. they've

    reduced

    wayne, Jun 9, 2004

  3. John Briggs

    John Briggs Guest

    Hi Wayne,

    Thanks for the info.

    The difference in file size may be due to the amount of JPEG compression
    they used. It may also be due to the resolution of their scanners. Do you
    know what your image sizes are in pixels?

    In my case the images were already digital but appear to have been downsized
    and recompressed by Costco (even though the originals should easily have
    fitted on the CD). File sizes vary enormously from 36KB to 1218KB but are
    typically 350KB to 1000KB. Seems like varying levels of compression have
    been applied as well as the downsizing. Also the aspect ratio has changed
    from 4:3 to 3:2. Anyone else seen this? Can anyone recommend anywhere else
    for burning CDs from digital media (in Scotland).

    Cheers,
    John

    John Briggs, Jun 9, 2004
  4. John Briggs wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > The difference in file size may be due to the amount of JPEG compression
    > they used. It may also be due to the resolution of their scanners. Do you
    > know what your image sizes are in pixels?
    >
    > In my case the images were already digital but appear to have been downsized
    > and recompressed by Costco (even though the originals should easily have
    > fitted on the CD). File sizes vary enormously from 36KB to 1218KB but are
    > typically 350KB to 1000KB. Seems like varying levels of compression have
    > been applied as well as the downsizing. Also the aspect ratio has changed
    > from 4:3 to 3:2. Anyone else seen this? Can anyone recommend anywhere else
    > for burning CDs from digital media (in Scotland).

    Well, I'll do it.. just send 'em to Kelso with the appropriate cash.

    So will my local photo dealer Hector Innes, just stick the card in his
    Agfa d-Lab2 and he can write a CD.

    So will Photo-Optix on the Royal Mile and probably most other branches.

    So will any dealer with a current Konica minilab installation.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 9, 2004
  5. John Briggs

    John Briggs Guest

    "David Kilpatrick" <> wrote in message

    > John Briggs wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Wayne,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info.
    > >
    > > The difference in file size may be due to the amount of JPEG compression
    > > they used. It may also be due to the resolution of their scanners. Do

    you
    > > know what your image sizes are in pixels?
    > >
    > > In my case the images were already digital but appear to have been

    downsized
    > > and recompressed by Costco (even though the originals should easily have
    > > fitted on the CD). File sizes vary enormously from 36KB to 1218KB but

    are
    > > typically 350KB to 1000KB. Seems like varying levels of compression have
    > > been applied as well as the downsizing. Also the aspect ratio has

    changed
    > > from 4:3 to 3:2. Anyone else seen this? Can anyone recommend anywhere

    else
    > > for burning CDs from digital media (in Scotland).
    > >

    > Well, I'll do it.. just send 'em to Kelso with the appropriate cash.
    >
    > So will my local photo dealer Hector Innes, just stick the card in his
    > Agfa d-Lab2 and he can write a CD.
    >
    > So will Photo-Optix on the Royal Mile and probably most other branches.
    >
    > So will any dealer with a current Konica minilab installation.
    >
    > David

    David,

    Thanks for your suggestions and your generous offer - I'll try one of them
    if I can't get any joy from Costco. It's a shame because their prints seem
    good and are very reasonably priced (6 x 4 for about 12p, 8 x 6 for 24p).

    I take it you haven't seen anything like the "downsizing" problem I had with
    Costco?

    John
    John Briggs, Jun 9, 2004
  6. John Briggs wrote:

    > I take it you haven't seen anything like the "downsizing" problem I had with
    > Costco?

    The Costco thing is simple - the Frontier or similar machine they use
    took your digital files, auto cropped them for 6 x 4, resampled them for
    printing - and THAT is what they wrote to Cd for you. They did not copy
    your files directly at all.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 9, 2004
  7. John Briggs

    wayne Guest

    My pictures were all from film same 35MM camera it seems like in my case it
    was the film scanner settings

    wayne, Jun 10, 2004
  8. John Briggs

    Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:28:35 +0100, "John Briggs" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your suggestions and your generous offer - I'll try one of them
    >if I can't get any joy from Costco. It's a shame because their prints seem
    >good and are very reasonably priced (6 x 4 for about 12p, 8 x 6 for 24p).
    >
    >I take it you haven't seen anything like the "downsizing" problem I had with
    >Costco?
    >
    >John

    Try Tesco if you have one nearby with the in-house facility. They'll
    take them straight off the card - you use the machine yourself. 50
    6x4 prints for £5. Collect one hour later (and your prints will jump
    the standard film processing and printing queue). Good quality. Boots
    are also doing the same price.

    MJ
    , Jun 10, 2004
  9. John Briggs

    John Briggs Guest

    > I took a 256MB SD card to Costco (UK) and had them produce a CD for me.
    >
    > All my original images were 4MP (2304 x 1728) JPEGs on the SD card but the
    > CD images are all 1.5MP (1536 x 1024) JPEGs and the files have been

    renamed
    > (and are, not surprisingly, about 3/8 of the original size).
    >
    > I can't make Costco understand that this is a problem (i.e. they've

    reduced
    > the quality) though I am going to go back sometime to speak to the
    > superviser. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    I spoke to the supervisor last night. She was a very pleasant and friendly
    person but she admitted not knowing much about the technical side. She
    showed me that the settings on her software were indeed 1536 x 1024 but she
    didn't think this could be changed. I got a full refund. I still think
    Costco are good value for printing but I'll be having my CDs burned
    elsewhere.

    While I'm on the subject of writeable CDs does anybody know if any of them
    have a guaranteed lifetime or claims to "long life"? If so, do any of the
    places that burn CDs for you use them (in the UK e.g. Tesco, Boots,
    Jessops)?

    John
    John Briggs, Jun 10, 2004
  10. John Briggs

    nixjunk Guest

    >>I take it you haven't seen anything like the "downsizing" problem I had with
    >>Costco?
    >>
    >>John

    What "downsizing" problem?
    nixjunk, Jun 10, 2004
  11. John Briggs

    John Briggs Guest

    "nixjunk" <> wrote in message
    > >>I take it you haven't seen anything like the "downsizing" problem I had

    with
    > >>Costco?
    > >>
    > >>John
    > >>

    > What "downsizing" problem?

    See the beginning of this thread. Basically Costco reduced the number of
    pixels in the images on my memory card from 4MP (2304 x 1728) to 1.5MP
    (1536 x 1024) when transferring them to CD.

    John
    John Briggs, Jun 10, 2004
  12. John Briggs

    nixjunk Guest

    >> What "downsizing" problem?
    >>

    >See the beginning of this thread. Basically Costco reduced the number of
    >pixels in the images on my memory card from 4MP (2304 x 1728) to 1.5MP
    >(1536 x 1024) when transferring them to CD.
    >
    >John

    Ah, ok. I never use that service of theirs. I just get digital prints made with
    them and the results are excellent.
    nixjunk, Jun 10, 2004
  13. John Briggs

    leo Guest

    > "John Briggs" <> wrote in message
    > > I took a 256MB SD card to Costco (UK) and had them produce a CD for me.
    > >
    > > All my original images were 4MP (2304 x 1728) JPEGs on the SD card but

    the
    > > CD images are all 1.5MP (1536 x 1024) JPEGs and the files have been

    > renamed
    > > (and are, not surprisingly, about 3/8 of the original size).
    > >
    > > I can't make Costco understand that this is a problem (i.e. they've

    > reduced
    > > the quality) though I am going to go back sometime to speak to the
    > > superviser. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > John
    > >

    > I spoke to the supervisor last night. She was a very pleasant and friendly
    > person but she admitted not knowing much about the technical side. She
    > showed me that the settings on her software were indeed 1536 x 1024 but

    she
    > didn't think this could be changed. I got a full refund. I still think
    > Costco are good value for printing but I'll be having my CDs burned
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > While I'm on the subject of writeable CDs does anybody know if any of them
    > have a guaranteed lifetime or claims to "long life"? If so, do any of the
    > places that burn CDs for you use them (in the UK e.g. Tesco, Boots,
    > Jessops)?
    >
    > John

    From digital pictures to CD? I thought these services are meant for someone
    without means or knowhow to use computers. I don't think it's cheap. Why
    don't you do it yearself? A CD burner, even DVD, is cheap. I'd use that
    service only if I need to transfer from film.
    leo, Jun 10, 2004
  14. John Briggs

    John Briggs Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message
    > From digital pictures to CD? I thought these services are meant for

    someone
    > without means or knowhow to use computers. I don't think it's cheap. Why
    > don't you do it yearself? A CD burner, even DVD, is cheap. I'd use that
    > service only if I need to transfer from film.

    It's actually very cheap (£1.86), and it's convenient to dump your memory
    card when travelling, but I wouldn't use Costco again because they reduce
    the number of pixels in the transfer to CD.

    John
    John Briggs, Jun 10, 2004