    computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
    printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
    at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.
    atasaka, Aug 9, 2003

  2. In article <Pine.GSO.4.33.0308081414010.1064-100000@uhunix2>, atasaka
    <> wrote:

    > Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
    > bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
    > taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
    > All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
    > tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
    > head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
    > the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
    > 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines.

    I had similar results from a CVS location with a Kodak machine. (Is
    that what Costco uses?) It wasn't the standalone inkjet machine
    that's very common and costs $5-7 a sheet -- it was the one that
    interfaced with their regular wet photo printer, similar to the Fuji
    system. But it produced output worse than any inkjet I've ever used.
    The prints looked exactly as you describe above, and I was so
    dissatisfied I'm not inclined to try the Kodak system again. (They
    almost looked like a dot-matrix printer with a color ribbon, honestly.
    BAD.) If someone's had better results, I'd love to hear it.

    I've tried the Fuji Frontier/Aladdin Kiosk machine at 3 different
    locations (a Walgreens, a Wal-Mart, and a Sam's Club), and have been
    pleased with all three. The Walgreens used a glossy finish and seemed
    to have the best print quality, while Wal-mart and Sams locations used
    a semi-matte-finish paper, if that's a concern. Prices per print were
    $0.35, $0.27, and $0.20 per print, respectively, here in northern
    Connecticut.

    Definitely try the Fuji machine before you give up on the wet digital
    prints. I think you'll be much happier.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=
    Garner Miller, Aug 9, 2003

  3. atasaka

    Ray Guest

    I am actually considering taking my pics to Costco due to the 19cent price.
    So far I have been using Wal-Mart online exclusively at 26cents per 4x6. I
    am happy with Wal-Mart (Fuji regular chemistry on Fuji paper), but at times
    I do notice a blue tint on some pics.

    The local Costco here (Kirkland, WA) has Fuji regular chemistry system using
    Fuji paper, seems to be the same as Wal-Mart. But I am not sure how good
    yet, will try and find out.

    Ray

    Ray, Aug 9, 2003
  4. atasaka

    Mark M Guest

    "atasaka" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
    > bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
    > taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
    > All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
    > tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
    > head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
    > the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
    > 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines. Even viewed on my
    > computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
    > printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
    > at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.

    The Costco near me uses your basic Canon inkjet printer (!), so I have not
    bothered trying it. I'm happily printing my own stuff on my Epson 1270
    (never a single clog in 3+ years, BTW).

    Unless processors offer a superior means of producing prints, I see no
    reason to give up image control to anyone.
    Mark M, Aug 9, 2003
  5. The Costco in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is using the same Fuij machine and
    Fuji Crystal Archive paper as at Black's photos.

    I have had 4x6, 5x7, and 8x12's done with excellent results.

    I took the Black's photo challenge and printed the same photo at Costco and
    Black's. Neither the manager nor I could tell any difference.
    Marc Pawlowsky, Aug 9, 2003
  6. atasaka

    Ray R Guest

    I have used wal-Mart in the past. Pictures always looked muddy.
    In Photoshop I created a picture of pure red, green, blue, cyan, magenta,
    and yellow squares. The colors all looked poor in comparison to the
    picture printed on my Canon i850. I scanned the Wal-Mart and i850.
    None of the squares came out pure colors are in the original. By
    looking at the cyan, magenta, yellow separations in Photoshop
    the wal-Mart showed a lot of color in squares where there should be
    none. Now I print all my pictures at home. My Wal-Mart pictures
    were chemical photo process as shown by microscopic inspection.

    Cost of print on my i850 for glossy 8.5x11 is about $.40. If you
    print 4 4.25" x 5.5" per page it is about $.10 per print. 4.25 x 5.5
    allows for less cropping than 4 x 6 with the format of most digital
    cameras. I refill the cartridges in the printer for less than $1 each.
    I got Office Depot paper on sale for $25 per 100 sheets. For give
    aways I bought IBM glossy paper 4 x 6 for $.03 per sheet. While
    not as good as Office Depot the pictures are still far superior to
    the Wal-Mart pictures and cost about $.05. When I print I also
    get consistent results.

    Ray R, Aug 9, 2003
  7. atasaka

    Patrick L. Guest

    atasaka <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
    > bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
    > taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
    > All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
    > tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
    > head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
    > the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
    > 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines. Even viewed on my
    > computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
    > printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
    > at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.

    They will redo them for free, just take them back. I use Costco Fuji
    equipment with very good results.

    However, if I want black and white, I go to a pro lab, Costco personnel
    don't know how to give you black and white without a color cast, that has
    been my experience.

    Patrick L.
    Patrick L., Aug 10, 2003
  8. atasaka

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:30:44 -0700, "Ray R" <> wrote:

    >Cost of print on my i850 for glossy 8.5x11 is about $.40. If you
    >print 4 4.25" x 5.5" per page it is about $.10 per print. 4.25 x 5.5
    >allows for less cropping than 4 x 6 with the format of most digital
    >cameras.

    I've been using Thumbsplus to catalog and crop my photos, and I can't
    find a way to tell it to print multiple photos per page in this
    fashion. If there *is* a way to do this with TP, I'd love to know!
    If I can't do this with TP, what are the software programs that do it?

    jc
    JC Dill, Aug 10, 2003
  9. atasaka

    SND Guest

    JC Dill <> wrote in

    > I've been using Thumbsplus to catalog and crop my photos, and I can't
    > find a way to tell it to print multiple photos per page in this
    > fashion. If there *is* a way to do this with TP, I'd love to know!
    > If I can't do this with TP, what are the software programs that do it?

    I don't have experience with Thumbsplus but Qimage is made for just this
    type of thing. http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    --
    SND
    SND, Aug 10, 2003
  10. atasaka

    Ray R Guest

    "JC Dill" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:30:44 -0700, "Ray R" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Cost of print on my i850 for glossy 8.5x11 is about $.40. If you
    > >print 4 4.25" x 5.5" per page it is about $.10 per print. 4.25 x 5.5
    > >allows for less cropping than 4 x 6 with the format of most digital
    > >cameras.

    > I've been using Thumbsplus to catalog and crop my photos, and I can't
    > find a way to tell it to print multiple photos per page in this
    > fashion. If there *is* a way to do this with TP, I'd love to know!
    > If I can't do this with TP, what are the software programs that do it?
    >
    > jc

    I use Photoshop, but any photo editing softwasre should allow you
    to do it easily.
    Ray R, Aug 10, 2003
  11. atasaka

    Guest

    Don <> wrote:

    > I get mine done at Costco, and have been very pleased. I think the machines
    > used vbary from one location to another, my local one is a Fuji Frontier.
    > I'm sure that *none* of them use an inkjet! I would take them back to
    > Costco with a copy of one that you made from the same CDROM.

    A slightly unrelated question...

    How does costco (or walmart, etc) do cropping on your 4:3 digital
    image to print it at 4x6 paper? Do you crop it manually before you
    burn it on a CD?

    Raymond
    , Aug 11, 2003
  12. In article <bh946t$26v2$>,
    <> wrote:

    > How does costco (or walmart, etc) do cropping on your 4:3 digital
    > image to print it at 4x6 paper? Do you crop it manually before you
    > burn it on a CD?

    You could, but I don't unless I have a bunch of them to print. I do it
    on an individual basis right at the kiosk -- it will let you crop the
    pictures right there while you're placing your print order.

    I'm not 100% sure what it'll do if you DON'T crop them at all and just
    order them -- I have a hunch it'll just crop the sides evenly, but I'm
    not positive on that.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=