    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Daniel
    Daniel, Nov 2, 2004

  2. In article <cm6v5u$llb$>, Daniel <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >A work colleague has just won a PC (no monitor), and is wondering how much one
    >would expect to pay for shipping from the US.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    $50 US ish ? A guess ... but it'll be more than $20 US no matter ho you send
    it and recent packages have been around the 40-50 mark :)

    HTH

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:34:58 +1300, Daniel <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A work colleague has just won a PC (no monitor), and is wondering how much one
    >would expect to pay for shipping from the US.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Daniel

    Well lets say $500us

    about $35 per pound..
    Geronimo, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A work colleague has just won a PC (no monitor), and is wondering how
    > much one
    > would expect to pay for shipping from the US.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

    $100's
    Ripping Silk, Nov 2, 2004
  5. Daniel

    # Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:34:58 +1300, Daniel wrote:

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

    Depends on weight, and how soon delivery is required.

    If about 20 pounds, entry level USPS is just over US$41.

    Check out http://ircalc.usps.gov/weight.asp?Contents=1 for pricing on
    various delivery options.
    #, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A work colleague has just won a PC (no monitor), and is wondering how
    > much one
    > would expect to pay for shipping from the US.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
    Daniel, Nov 3, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:37:17 +1300, Geronimo
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:34:58 +1300, Daniel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>A work colleague has just won a PC (no monitor), and is wondering how much one
    >>would expect to pay for shipping from the US.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Daniel

    Ummm, pc's in the States often come with a notice that the purchaser
    is required to sign that the unit will not be exported.

    Cath
    , Nov 3, 2004
  8. Daniel

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:38:44 -0600,
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:37:17 +1300, Geronimo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:34:58 +1300, Daniel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>A work colleague has just won a PC (no monitor), and is wondering how much one
    >>>would expect to pay for shipping from the US.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Daniel

    > Ummm, pc's in the States often come with a notice that the purchaser
    > is required to sign that the unit will not be exported.
    >
    > Cath

    Why?
    -[Myth]-, Nov 3, 2004
  9. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:41:23 +1300, -[Myth]-
    <> says...
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:38:44 -0600,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:37:17 +1300, Geronimo
    > > <> wrote:

    > > Ummm, pc's in the States often come with a notice that the purchaser
    > > is required to sign that the unit will not be exported.
    > >
    > > Cath

    > Why?

    Probably export restrictions on certain software to certain countries.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 3, 2004
  10. Daniel

    Guest

    On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:51:14 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:41:23 +1300, -[Myth]-
    ><> says...
    >> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:38:44 -0600,
    >> wrote:

    >> > Ummm, pc's in the States often come with a notice that the purchaser
    >> > is required to sign that the unit will not be exported.
    >> >
    >> > Cath

    >> Why?

    >Probably export restrictions on certain software to certain countries.

    Yep.
    When I ordered my Dell online about 18 months ago, before the order
    would go through, I had to check a box stating would not be exported.

    The Epson printer I bought last week had a similar check box.

    The US has embargos on items going to certain countries i.e. Cuba,
    North Korea etc.

    Cath
    , Nov 3, 2004
  11. wrote:
    >>>Why?

    >>Probably export restrictions on certain software to certain countries.

    > Yep.
    > When I ordered my Dell online about 18 months ago, before the order
    > would go through, I had to check a box stating would not be exported.

    when we order Dells here at work, we have to tick a box saying that we
    wont use them for "Terrorist activities".

    Personally I think that this is a rather limiting condition... who are
    they to say what I can and can't use my PC for?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 3, 2004
  12. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > when we order Dells here at work, we have to tick a box saying that we
    > wont use them for "Terrorist activities".
    >
    > Personally I think that this is a rather limiting condition... who are
    > they to say what I can and can't use my PC for?

    Hi Dave,

    Do you order Dell's from the US? (or was that a reference to the AP site)
    Daniel, Nov 4, 2004
  13. Daniel wrote:
    >> when we order Dells here at work, we have to tick a box saying that we
    >> wont use them for "Terrorist activities".

    >> Personally I think that this is a rather limiting condition... who are
    >> they to say what I can and can't use my PC for?

    > Do you order Dell's from the US? (or was that a reference to the AP site)

    **** knows, I dont do it, and we dont get Dells any more, so can't even
    check.
    We deal with the US helpdesk as opposed to India, so I guess we get them
    from the US rather than AP.

    We have HP's now.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >>> when we order Dells here at work, we have to tick a box saying that
    >>> we wont use them for "Terrorist activities".

    >>> Personally I think that this is a rather limiting condition... who
    >>> are they to say what I can and can't use my PC for?

    >> Do you order Dell's from the US? (or was that a reference to the AP site)

    > **** knows, I dont do it, and we dont get Dells any more, so can't even
    > check.
    > We deal with the US helpdesk as opposed to India, so I guess we get them
    > from the US rather than AP.
    >
    > We have HP's now.

    Okay, thanks.
    Daniel, Nov 4, 2004
  15. Daniel

    Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:17:32 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Daniel wrote:
    >>> when we order Dells here at work, we have to tick a box saying that we
    >>> wont use them for "Terrorist activities".

    LOL.

    When I looked at the tag on my new Epson, it shows "Made in
    Indonesia"....go figure!

    >>> Personally I think that this is a rather limiting condition... who are
    >>> they to say what I can and can't use my PC for?

    >> Do you order Dell's from the US? (or was that a reference to the AP site)

    >**** knows, I dont do it, and we dont get Dells any more, so can't even
    >check.
    >We deal with the US helpdesk as opposed to India, so I guess we get them
    >from the US rather than AP.
    >
    >We have HP's now.

    Dell was receiving way too many corporate complaints re the India help
    desk so reverted that biz back to the US. Dell realised if it
    didn't, it would loose a big part of their business.

    In the meantime, we home consumers have to put up with the India help
    desk.

    Cath
    , Nov 4, 2004
  16. wrote:

    > LOL.

    If you dont tick it, they ring you and ask.
    I would assume they cancel the order if you say that yes you are infact
    part of a terrorist group and going to use it for terrorist activities.

    >>We deal with the US helpdesk as opposed to India, so I guess we get them
    >>from the US rather than AP.

    > Dell was receiving way too many corporate complaints re the India help
    > desk so reverted that biz back to the US. Dell realised if it
    > didn't, it would loose a big part of their business.

    > In the meantime, we home consumers have to put up with the India help
    > desk.

    as nelson muntz says "haha"

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  17. Daniel

    JohnO Guest

    > > LOL.

    > If you dont tick it, they ring you and ask.
    > I would assume they cancel the order if you say that yes you are infact
    > part of a terrorist group and going to use it for terrorist activities.
    >
    > >>We deal with the US helpdesk as opposed to India, so I guess we get them
    > >>from the US rather than AP.

    > > Dell was receiving way too many corporate complaints re the India help
    > > desk so reverted that biz back to the US. Dell realised if it
    > > didn't, it would loose a big part of their business.

    > > In the meantime, we home consumers have to put up with the India help
    > > desk.

    > as nelson muntz says "haha"

    Does the helpdesk operator terminate the call with "<Apu accent> Thank you,
    come again soon </Apu accent>"?
    JohnO, Nov 4, 2004
  18. JohnO wrote:
    > Does the helpdesk operator terminate the call with "<Apu accent> Thank you,
    > come again soon </Apu accent>"?

    nope, but they have names like "Gavin" or "Andrew"

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  19. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>>Does the helpdesk operator terminate the call with "<Apu accent> Thank you,
    >>>come again soon </Apu accent>"?

    >>nope, but they have names like "Gavin" or "Andrew"

    > Didn't you see the interesting documentary on the training in the indian
    > call centers ? Their accents, speech and mannerisms are trained to be US,
    > NZ, europe ... whatever country. Names are easy :)

    yep, saw it, was absolutly amased.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz