    Taken for a reasonable price.

    From what I've read I know I'll be passing on the Flintstones, New Avengers,
    and probably Millennium. Not because I wouldn't like to have them, but
    because they will be priced beyond what I think their value really is.

    How many people would like to buy any of the above sets but haven't because
    of the price tag?
    ominousspiritous, Feb 15, 2004

  2. ominousspiritous

    Justin Guest

    ominousspiritous wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:53:40 GMT]:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc sets
    > so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    >
    > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but the
    > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    > Taken for a reasonable price.

    So, for say, 10 times or more in length that a TV series is not worth 4
    or 5 times the price of a movie?

    Especially sets like Battlestar Galactica that is a very small revenue
    stream these days anyway.
    Justin, Feb 15, 2004

  3. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > ominousspiritous wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:53:40 GMT]:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc

    sets
    > > so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    > >
    > > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but

    the
    > > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick

    up
    > > Taken for a reasonable price.

    > So, for say, 10 times or more in length that a TV series is not worth 4
    > or 5 times the price of a movie?
    >
    > Especially sets like Battlestar Galactica that is a very small revenue
    > stream these days anyway.

    $100 bucks is $100 bucks, and that's a lot harder to have as throw away cash
    on a DVD than $35-$50 in our house.
    If I can buy a Buffy, Angel, Roswell, Simpsons, Dark Angel, Alias,
    Smallville, 24, ect. set for $35 it really makes those other sets look like
    they aren't really economicly worth the price of admission. It kind of makes
    the consumer look like a sucker.
    Plus, as I stated, for most of these series I'd be willing to wager they'd
    sell a LOT more if the price was less.
    I know quite a few people who'd part with their hard earned cash for an
    X-files set if the weren't looking at a $900 dollar investment for the set.
    ominousspiritous, Feb 15, 2004
  4. ominousspiritous

    Justin Guest

    ominousspiritous wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:52:54 GMT]:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> ominousspiritous wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:53:40 GMT]:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc

    > sets
    >> > so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    >> >
    >> > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but

    > the
    >> > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick

    > up
    >> > Taken for a reasonable price.

    >> So, for say, 10 times or more in length that a TV series is not worth 4
    >> or 5 times the price of a movie?
    >>
    >> Especially sets like Battlestar Galactica that is a very small revenue
    >> stream these days anyway.

    > $100 bucks is $100 bucks, and that's a lot harder to have as throw away cash
    > on a DVD than $35-$50 in our house.
    > If I can buy a Buffy, Angel, Roswell, Simpsons, Dark Angel, Alias,
    > Smallville, 24, ect. set for $35 it really makes those other sets look like
    > they aren't really economicly worth the price of admission. It kind of makes
    > the consumer look like a sucker.
    > Plus, as I stated, for most of these series I'd be willing to wager they'd
    > sell a LOT more if the price was less.
    > I know quite a few people who'd part with their hard earned cash for an
    > X-files set if the weren't looking at a $900 dollar investment for the set.

    Huh. I haven't paid more than 75 for an X-Files, and I just picked up
    season 7, brand new, for 47.
    Justin, Feb 15, 2004
  5. ominousspiritous

    EvilN8 Guest

    Well, I can say personally.. I'd love to buy the Six Feet Under box set, but
    the oversized nature of the set (which means I can't fit it on my DVD rack)
    and the $100 price tag at the local best buy have swayed me in the other
    direction. Anyone wanna sell it for $35? :) - n8

    "ominousspiritous"
    <o123misssn456ous789spfdwweirit9887ofewfusYOURsaaafsewqfCLaffadfOTHES@at654t
    biYOURCLOTHEaaaaaaaaaSfds.c321om> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc

    sets
    > so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    >
    > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but the
    > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    > Taken for a reasonable price.
    >
    > From what I've read I know I'll be passing on the Flintstones, New

    Avengers,

    EvilN8, Feb 15, 2004
  6. ominousspiritous

    J Smith Guest

    Where did you get X -Files season 7 brand new for $47 from?

    J Smith, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Depends on the show and how much I like it.

    I would have bought Galactica if 1. it was cheaper, and 2. if the
    package wasn't so unusual. I have 1200+ DVDs and stroring them is an
    issue for me.

    X Files I passed on, same with Profiler.

    I bought the original Star Trek series, all 40 columes, 2 volumes at a
    time over a couple of years. I paid about $ 10 a disc, $ 20 every few
    months, till I got them all on their initial release. Pricey, sure -
    $ 400 for the 40 volumes, MSRP is around 2x that, I think. That's a
    mind-boggling out of pocket cost of $ 133 a season, with the MSRP of
    around $266 a season. But it's a classic, and I digested the cost
    over a few years so I didn't feel it. I passed entirely on the newer
    Trek series since I don't enjoy them as much.

    I picked up Prisoner at about $ 30 a set as they came out -
    out-of-pocket of $ 150 over a year, not bad at all.

    I am now collecting all 52 episodes of Abbott & Costello show - by mid
    March 10 of the 13 volumes will be released, at about $ 15 a disc.
    One of my fave series of all time, and that comes out to $ 3.75 an
    episode, not bad at all for a show I love. Interestingly, I picked up
    the 8 A&C movie set for $ 20, working out to $ 2.50 a film!

    Basically, if it's a show I want I will budget for it. SCTV is coming
    out and they couldn't keep me away from that one! But if a show is
    borderline with me, price will be the dealbreaker.

    So when they announce Get Smart, The Munsters, Hogans Heroes, Batman,
    Get A Life, and others, I will be sure to budget and buy them - price
    is no object. The trend has been to keep tv show sets fairly
    affordable, with the most notable gouging with programs with very
    dedicated followings (like Trek).

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 15, 2004
  8. ominousspiritous

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:53:40 -0500, ominousspiritous wrote
    (in message <nqzXb.312652$xy6.1533764@attbi_s02>):

    > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc sets
    > so that they cost more than some DVD players.

    You're actually complaining about how affordable DVD players have become???
    Would you like to go back to the days when it cost at least $300 for a DVD
    player? Or back even further to when it was at least $700 or more for the
    equipment?

    > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but the
    > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    > Taken for a reasonable price.

    Sales of Star Trek VHS tapes did well at $20 per tape.

    Each tape was 45 minutes long. If the episode were a two-parter, they would
    *still* split it up among two tapes and make you pay $20 each. No break
    there.
    I *NEVER* thought we would see DVD box sets. Not until Paramount did the same
    old routine of releasing them on DVD (maybe this time two or three episodes
    per disc) and charging $30 per DVD.

    A season of Star Trek is $110 for 26 episodes. That's $4.25 per episode.

    It wasn't that long ago that if I saw a used VHS tape of a Star Trek episode
    that cheap, I'd buy it. Someone else would always snatch it up before it got
    that low. I only bought one tape like that in years of looking.

    You don't have to pay $110 per set. I bought my Star Trek box sets for about
    $75 each. That comes out to $2.88 per episode. That's $2.88 for 45 minutes of
    entertainment. I haven't even figured in the DVD extras.

    Would you pay $20 for a two hour movie? How about $15 for a 90 minute movie?
    That translates to $7.50 for 45 minutes. Nearly twice the cost of a Star Trek
    episode from the box set.

    I'm sorry, but when you look at it in terms of dollars per minute or dollars
    per episode, it's not unreasonable. This is especially so when you consider
    how much VHS versions were selling for not that long ago.

    We're lucky to be getting these at all. I'm very happy to retire my old,
    commercial-laden VHS tapes for beautiful DVDs.
    Cernovog, Feb 15, 2004
  9. ominousspiritous

    Justin Guest

    J Smith wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:49:09 +1300]:
    > Where did you get X -Files season 7 brand new for $47 from?

    half.com

    Justin, Feb 15, 2004
  10. ominousspiritous

    James Evans Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 05:49:16 GMT, Hitman of Las Vegas <>
    wrote:

    >Depends on the show and how much I like it.
    >
    >I would have bought Galactica if 1. it was cheaper, and 2. if the
    >package wasn't so unusual.

    It is being rereleased without the odd packaging. Don't know about
    the price being lowered, though. I sure am enjoying mine. . .
    James Evans, Feb 15, 2004
  11. ominousspiritous

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Feb 15, 2004
  12. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:46:33 GMT, James Evans
    <> wrote:

    >>Depends on the show and how much I like it.
    >>
    >>I would have bought Galactica if 1. it was cheaper, and 2. if the
    >>package wasn't so unusual.

    > It is being rereleased without the odd packaging. Don't know about
    >the price being lowered, though. I sure am enjoying mine. . .

    I thought the packaging was cool but I had no practical way to store
    it. I don't mind the occasional tin, or the wood 'Wicker Man' box,
    but the Galactica set package alienated me, so it contributed to my
    'passing' on it. Thanks for the info!
    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 15, 2004
  13. "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:53:40 -0500, ominousspiritous wrote
    > (in message <nqzXb.312652$xy6.1533764@attbi_s02>):
    >
    > > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc

    sets
    > > so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    > >

    > You're actually complaining about how affordable DVD players have

    become???
    > Would you like to go back to the days when it cost at least $300 for a DVD
    > player? Or back even further to when it was at least $700 or more for the
    > equipment?

    Did you read my first line with the rest of the post? I never said that DVD
    players were too expensive.

    > > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but

    the
    > > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick

    up
    > > Taken for a reasonable price.
    > >

    > Sales of Star Trek VHS tapes did well at $20 per tape.
    > Each tape was 45 minutes long. If the episode were a two-parter, they

    would *still* split it up among two tapes and make you pay $20 each. No
    break
    > there.

    I thought they were gouging for VHS too so I never bought them.

    > I *NEVER* thought we would see DVD box sets. Not until Paramount did the

    same
    > old routine of releasing them on DVD (maybe this time two or three

    episodes
    > per disc) and charging $30 per DVD.
    >
    > A season of Star Trek is $110 for 26 episodes. That's $4.25 per episode.
    > > Would you pay $20 for a two hour movie? How about $15 for a 90 minute

    movie?
    > That translates to $7.50 for 45 minutes. Nearly twice the cost of a Star

    Trek
    > episode from the box set.

    My issue isn't dollars per minute. Which by the way, there are plenty of
    other sets that have similair run times for significantly less money.
    My issue is the outlay of cash. I live within a budget for how much I will
    spend per month on DVDs.
    As others have noted in their replies cost is sometimes the dealbreaker on
    whether or not a set will be purchased.

    As Hitman of Las Vegas noted: it's much easier to buy large sets over time
    than to lay out a big chunk of change all up front.

    2cents for what it's worth
    ominousspiritous, Feb 15, 2004
  14. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > J Smith wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:49:09 +1300]:
    > > Where did you get X -Files season 7 brand new for $47 from?

    > half.com

    I'll have to look into that myself. Thanks Justin.
    ominousspiritous, Feb 15, 2004
  15. "ominousspiritous"
    <o123misssn456ous789spfdwweirit9887ofewfusYOURsaaafsewqfCLaffadfOTHES@at654t
    biYOURCLOTHEaaaaaaaaaSfds.c321om> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc

    sets
    > so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    >
    > I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but the
    > cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    > Taken for a reasonable price.
    >
    > From what I've read I know I'll be passing on the Flintstones, New

    Avengers,
    > and probably Millennium. Not because I wouldn't like to have them, but
    > because they will be priced beyond what I think their value really is.
    >
    > How many people would like to buy any of the above sets but haven't

    because
    > of the price tag?

    None of those sets are that bad. I picked up the 2 seasons of Dark Angel
    from Japan for nearly $300 a season before they were announced for release
    anywhere else. For the $600 I spent on the entire Dark Angel series, I could
    get entire sets of X-Files, ST:TNG, and many, many others.

    So I don't see the $75-$100 a season that the "expensive" US releases go for
    as too high.
    Brian Simmons, Feb 15, 2004
  16. ominousspiritous

    david ng Guest

    I have the Taken, a set of 8 DVDs in Region 3 official release
    that I am intend to sell for $40 included post
    and X-file , total 52 DVDs for $200 complete sets

    David
    "ominousspiritous"
    <o123misssn456ous789spfdwweirit9887ofewfusYOURsaaafsewqfCLaffadfOTHES@at654t
    biYOURCLOTHEaaaaaaaaaSfds.c321om> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:nqzXb.312652$xy6.1533764@attbi_s02 ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    david ng, Feb 15, 2004
  17. ominousspiritous

    Steve R. Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 0:55:01 -0500, Cernovog <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:53:40 -0500, ominousspiritous wrote
    >(in message <nqzXb.312652$xy6.1533764@attbi_s02>):
    >
    >> Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc sets
    >> so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    >>

    >You're actually complaining about how affordable DVD players have become???
    >Would you like to go back to the days when it cost at least $300 for a DVD
    >player? Or back even further to when it was at least $700 or more for the
    >equipment?
    >
    >> I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but the
    >> cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    >> Taken for a reasonable price.
    >>

    >Sales of Star Trek VHS tapes did well at $20 per tape.
    >
    >Each tape was 45 minutes long. If the episode were a two-parter, they would
    >*still* split it up among two tapes and make you pay $20 each. No break
    >there.
    >I *NEVER* thought we would see DVD box sets. Not until Paramount did the same
    >old routine of releasing them on DVD (maybe this time two or three episodes
    >per disc) and charging $30 per DVD.
    >
    >A season of Star Trek is $110 for 26 episodes. That's $4.25 per episode.
    >
    >It wasn't that long ago that if I saw a used VHS tape of a Star Trek episode
    >that cheap, I'd buy it. Someone else would always snatch it up before it got
    >that low. I only bought one tape like that in years of looking.
    >
    >You don't have to pay $110 per set. I bought my Star Trek box sets for about
    >$75 each. That comes out to $2.88 per episode. That's $2.88 for 45 minutes of
    >entertainment. I haven't even figured in the DVD extras.
    >
    >Would you pay $20 for a two hour movie? How about $15 for a 90 minute movie?
    >That translates to $7.50 for 45 minutes. Nearly twice the cost of a Star Trek
    >episode from the box set.
    >
    >I'm sorry, but when you look at it in terms of dollars per minute or dollars
    >per episode, it's not unreasonable. This is especially so when you consider
    >how much VHS versions were selling for not that long ago.

    Comparing minute to minute is rather silly. A movie per minute is
    much more expensive to produce "far more than double" than a
    television show. I prefer to watch a good movie over good television
    any day.
    Steve R., Feb 15, 2004
  18. ominousspiritous

    Bill Guest

    > From what I've read I know I'll be passing on the Flintstones, New
    Avengers,
    > and probably Millennium. Not because I wouldn't like to have them, but
    > because they will be priced beyond what I think their value really is.
    >
    > How many people would like to buy any of the above sets but haven't

    because
    > of the price tag?

    I'm in that camp, having been admittedly spoiled in recent months. Full
    seasons of shows like "M*A*S*H" or "All in the Family" for $29.95 in most
    stores. Thanks to these prices, I now find myself balking at boxed sets
    priced much higher, even though those prices are still admittedly bargains
    when you consider that Columbia House Video typically would charge $19.95
    and above for three or four episodes of a half-hour series on VHS.

    That aside, the studios that are pricing these compilations at "sell
    through" prices have changed my attitude considerably. I would love to have
    "The Flintstones" on DVD, but will pass unless the studio lowers the retail
    to a more reasonable $39.95 per season.
    Bill, Feb 15, 2004
  19. ominousspiritous

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:53:40 GMT, "ominousspiritous"
    <321om>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc sets
    >so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    >
    >I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but the
    >cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    >Taken for a reasonable price.
    >
    >From what I've read I know I'll be passing on the Flintstones, New Avengers,
    >and probably Millennium. Not because I wouldn't like to have them, but
    >because they will be priced beyond what I think their value really is.
    >
    >How many people would like to buy any of the above sets but haven't because
    >of the price tag?

    My DVD player cost me over $900.00. Hell, I got the entire Series of
    ST-DS-9 for less than that. I really don't see how you think that a
    DVD set of an entire TV season with over 24 hours of actual "show",
    should only cost about $50.00. The average price of a 2-hour film on
    DVD, is about $20.00. If you multiplied that out, that would end up
    being about $240.00 for a season of ST-TNG. Moreover, think back
    when everything was still on VHS. I own the entire series (3 Seasons)
    of Lost in Space on VHS which cost a total of about $1092.00 after
    buying the entire set through Colombia House! When you put it in
    perspective, $99.00, which is about the average price for a season box
    set of a Star Trek series, isn't a bad deal at all. Frankly, I love
    that many old TV shows are coming out in Season, and Complete Series
    box sets. So far I've gotten:

    Star Trek-TNG - The Complete Series
    Star Trek-DS-9 - The Complete Series
    24 - Season 1,2
    Firefly - Complete Series
    Battlestar Galactica - Complete Series (Yeah, the one with the Big
    Cylon head)
    Xena - Seasons 1,2,3
    Futurama - 1 and 2
    Babylon 5 - Season 1
    Lost in Space - Season 1
    Sopranos - Seasons 1,2,3,4
    Sex and the City - Seasons 1,2,3,4,5
    Barney Miller - Season 1
    The Simpsons - Season 1,2,3

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 15, 2004
  20. "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:53:40 GMT, "ominousspiritous"

    <o123misssn456ous789spfdwweirit9887ofewfusYOURsaaafsewqfCLaffadfOTHES@at654t
    biYOURCLOTHEaaaaaaaaaSfds.c321om>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Just a minor rant against studios that jack up the prices of multi-disc

    sets
    > >so that they cost more than some DVD players.
    > >
    > >I would buy Battlestar Galactica, X-files, Profiler, and Star Trek but

    the
    > >cost of a set over $50 is just unreasonable to me. Hell, I'd even pick up
    > >Taken for a reasonable price.
    > >
    > >From what I've read I know I'll be passing on the Flintstones, New

    Avengers,
    > >and probably Millennium. Not because I wouldn't like to have them, but
    > >because they will be priced beyond what I think their value really is.
    > >
    > >How many people would like to buy any of the above sets but haven't

    because
    > >of the price tag?
    > >

    > My DVD player cost me over $900.00. Hell, I got the entire Series of
    > ST-DS-9 for less than that. I really don't see how you think that a
    > DVD set of an entire TV season with over 24 hours of actual "show",
    > should only cost about $50.00.

    There are so many that do cost less than $50.
    ominousspiritous, Feb 15, 2004