Cost of Calls to Mobiles - 5p/min

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ras, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. ras

    ras Guest

    ras, Mar 27, 2006

  2. ras

    Wavey Davey Guest

    Wavey Davey, Mar 27, 2006

  3. ras

    Sparks Guest

    "ras" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > www.call18185.co.uk
    >
    > -- ras

    Is there any way to use this service with VoIP?

    I have tried a few combinations with settings from 1899 18866 etc. but cat
    seem to get it going yet!

    Sparks...
    Sparks, Mar 27, 2006
  4. ras

    John Geddes Guest

    ras wrote:
    > www.call18185.co.uk
    >
    > -- ras

    But beware - the access code 18185 is dangerous for anyone intending to
    dial the prefix themselves (rather than set it up on a LCR box)

    Make an error by dialling an extra 1 at the beginning (ie 118185) and
    you may find yourself paying for a fixed-fee Directory Enquiry call.

    From bitter experience, I can tell you that dialling 118866 (instead of
    the indirect operator 18866) costs you GBP1.50 each time, even if you
    cut off after a couple of seconds. Not sure current rate to 118185, but
    there does appear to be an operator registered for this code.

    And you don't even need to hit the "1" by mistake. Accidentally hit the
    Recall button (handily next to the 1 on my BT phone) and that will
    achieve the same.

    Ofcom, who set up this crazy situation by allocating "118" prefixes to
    DQ and "18" access codes to indirect operators, sees no problem. But
    they are curiously unwilling to publish the proportion of calls to these
    fixed-fee DQ numbers which last long enough to make it clear that they
    were deliberate (rather than accidental) calls!

    John Geddes
    John Geddes, Mar 28, 2006
  5. ras

    Paul Cupis Guest

    John Geddes wrote:
    > Not sure current rate to 118185

    70ppm from BT landlines.

    > Ofcom, who set up this crazy situation by allocating "118" prefixes to
    > DQ and "18" access codes to indirect operators, sees no problem. But
    > they are curiously unwilling to publish the proportion of calls to these
    > fixed-fee DQ numbers which last long enough to make it clear that they
    > were deliberate (rather than accidental) calls!

    AFAIK they have not asked DQ operators (or terminating telcos) to
    provide this information, so perhaps they don't have it to publish?
    Paul Cupis, Mar 28, 2006