    Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    Sandy, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Sandy

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    news:94C56CAB55B7574C1H4@130.133.1.4...
    > I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
    > details are.
    >
    > First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
    > and mpegs?
    >
    > Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    > multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    > comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    Often difficult to compare.

    I use Verbatim 4x dvd-r media (as it will write at 8x in my burner) at 89p
    per disc, and the 48x Verbatim cd-r discs are about 50p each.

    Having said that, I have a stock of about 200 blank cd-rs, and have not
    bought any for over a year, and use them very rarely.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    Doug Ramage, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Sandy

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
    > details are.
    >
    > First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
    > and mpegs?
    >
    > Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    > multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    > comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    in your costing, you also need to consider that a dvd will hold 4 times more
    than a cd - so 1 x 2.5 /4 = cheaper than cd :eek:)

    JethroUK©, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Sandy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
    > details are.
    >
    > First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
    > and mpegs?

    You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as the write-once
    formats are more reliable.

    > Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    > multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    > comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    It varies. Check your Sunday newspaper ads for good deals at office supply
    or electronics stores. I get my DVD-R discs (various brands, depending on
    sales) for about $1 each.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Sandy

    TommyDale Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message news:<ZV9dc.32$qe5.4@newsfe1-win>...
    > "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > > I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
    > > details are.
    > >
    > > First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
    > > and mpegs?
    > >
    > > Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    > > multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    > > comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    > in your costing, you also need to consider that a dvd will hold 4 times more
    > than a cd - so 1 x 2.5 /4 = cheaper than cd :eek:)

    A DVD holds 6.7 Times the data of a CD, assuming the CD is 700MB

    TommyDale, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Sandy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > > I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
    > > details are.
    > >
    > > First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
    > > and mpegs?

    > You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as the

    write-once
    > formats are more reliable.
    >
    > > Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    > > multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    > > comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    > It varies. Check your Sunday newspaper ads for good deals at office

    supply
    > or electronics stores. I get my DVD-R discs (various brands, depending on
    > sales) for about $1 each.

    In fact, here's a spindle of 100 Memorex discs for $99 at Amazon.com:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000ET7U6/

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >> I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about
    >> what the details are.
    >>
    >> First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of
    >> jpegs and mpegs?

    > You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as
    > the write-once formats are more reliable.

    if I had a choice of either one of those two to use then what
    differences are there between the two?

    Sandy, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Sandy

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about
    > >> what the details are.
    > >>
    > >> First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of
    > >> jpegs and mpegs?

    > > You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as
    > > the write-once formats are more reliable.

    > if I had a choice of either one of those two to use then what
    > differences are there between the two?

    Usually down to price and compatibility - my burner does both formats at (up
    to) 8x. But since it can burn the 4x speed Verbatim dvd-r at 8x, this is
    what I use. My standalone dvd player only burns dvd-r.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    Doug Ramage, Apr 8, 2004
  9. Sandy

    Yad Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:40:57 +0100, Sandy <> wrote:

    >I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about what the
    >details are.
    >
    >First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of jpegs
    >and mpegs?
    >
    >Secondly, am I right in thinking that I can us an approximate
    >multiplier of 2 to 2.5 when estimating the cost of a balnk DVD
    >comnpared to a blank CD of roughly the same quality?

    Cost per megabyeis far cheaper on a dvd than a cd.
    CD media is still cheaper but look atthe cost per megabyte to get a
    better idea.

    Only use dvd-rw/+rw for test burns or if you plan to over write
    movies, else use dvd-r/+r media.

    Yad, Apr 8, 2004
  10. Sandy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I don't yet have a DVD recorder so I am a bit vague about
    > >> what the details are.
    > >>
    > >> First if all, would I use DVD-RW or DVD+RW to make backups of
    > >> jpegs and mpegs?

    > > You'd want to use DVD-R or DVD+R (most drives write both), as
    > > the write-once formats are more reliable.

    > if I had a choice of either one of those two to use then what
    > differences are there between the two?

    Nothing significant. DVD-R is slightly more compatible with set-top DVD
    players than DVD+R, and that's about it. That would only be a concern to
    you if you planned to play DVDs on other peoples' players (in which case I'd
    go with DVD-R), but it sounds like you're just doing backups. As long as
    one or the other (or both) work on the player(s) you need them to, you're
    set to go.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Sandy

    actorguy2001 Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<c53mh0$uvv$>...

    > In fact, here's a spindle of 100 Memorex discs for $99 at Amazon.com:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000ET7U6/
    >
    > Mike

    I've just finished my first spindle of these and am very pleased...

    Ven Hawkins

    actorguy2001, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Sandy

    BF Guest

    Actually it is about 6.2 times because you can only burn about 4.4
    gigs on a DVD not 4.7, but who is really counting. It is a lot more
    than a cd and I just bought a 50 pack for $43.

    BF, Apr 15, 2004
  13. Sandy

    JethroUK© Guest

    "BF" <> wrote in message

    > Actually it is about 6.2 times because you can only burn about 4.4
    > gigs on a DVD not 4.7, but who is really counting. It is a lot more
    > than a cd and I just bought a 50 pack for $43.

    i just bought 50 dvd+r for only £18 - just when i thought everythin was
    cheaper in states :eek:)

    JethroUK©, Apr 15, 2004
  14. Sandy

    BF Guest

    > > Actually it is about 6.2 times because you can only burn about 4.4
    > > gigs on a DVD not 4.7, but who is really counting. It is a lot

    more
    > > than a cd and I just bought a 50 pack for $43.
    > >

    > i just bought 50 dvd+r for only £18 - just when i thought everythin

    was
    > cheaper in states :eek:)

    What speed are these disks and how much is that in U.S. dollars? I
    just saw the 50- 4X -r disks for $39. I paid $49 three weeks ago.

    BF, Apr 17, 2004
  15. Sandy

    JethroUK© Guest

    "BF" <> wrote in message

    > > > Actually it is about 6.2 times because you can only burn about 4.4
    > > > gigs on a DVD not 4.7, but who is really counting. It is a lot

    > more
    > > > than a cd and I just bought a 50 pack for $43.
    > > >

    > > i just bought 50 dvd+r for only £18 - just when i thought everythin

    > was
    > > cheaper in states :eek:)
    > >

    > What speed are these disks

    x4

    > and how much is that in U.S. dollars?

    dont really know - around $28 - $30 i guess

    JethroUK©, Apr 17, 2004