Cost effective way to use Mobile Phone to access web?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
    phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
    regular PC to access the internet?

    The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
    waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
    surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
    around £22.

    I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
    knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
    high.

    Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
    even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
    Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?

    I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
    on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
    problem for all mobile networks though.

    Anyway thanks for any info on this one.

    John

    John, Oct 18, 2003

  2. John

    Sam Albrow Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
    > phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
    > regular PC to access the internet?
    >
    > The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
    > waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
    > surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
    > around £22.
    >
    > I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
    > knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
    > high.

    I think your confused - basically GPRS is indeed chared by KB and you have
    no control over who provides this, tmobile is the worst I belive but they
    are all too much.

    The other option, much slower but depending on what the number is it can be
    included, is dial up at a blistering 9.6k (i.e. very slow) - its still
    something though and ok if you have loads of inclusive mins in your tariff
    plan to use up.

    > Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
    > even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
    > Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?

    See above but remember that there is no freephone on mobile phones except
    orange; they will almost certainly bar any number such as this or more
    likley you won't be able to use it if your now on bt (Fricao 0808 numbers);
    even if they don't you would have to be on an orange contract not including
    ovp virgin

    > I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
    > on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
    > problem for all mobile networks though.

    It is, a fixed connection or lan connection is your best bet. Second best is
    wireless hotspot but even the comercial ones of these are very expensive to
    use.

    Sam

    > Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
    >
    > John

    ---
    Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

    Sam Albrow, Oct 18, 2003

  3. John

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:41:26 +0100, John <>
    wrote:

    >I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
    >on and the service.

    In that case, switch to something like freetime 750 and instead of
    using the expensive GPRS, use the a 9.6k dial up connection to connect
    to an ISP with a real geographic number (not 0808, 0845 or whatever).
    ClaraNet, for example.

    Then calls after 6pm will come out of inclusive minutes.
    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones

    , Oct 18, 2003
  4. John

    simplesimon Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
    > phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
    > regular PC to access the internet?
    >
    > The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
    > waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
    > surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
    > around £22.
    >
    > I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
    > knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
    > high.
    >
    > Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
    > even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
    > Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?
    >
    > I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
    > on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
    > problem for all mobile networks though.
    >
    > Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
    >
    > John

    I use my mobile as a dial-up modem. Speed is not great (9.6k) but it works
    out ok for checking/replying to email as it comes from my inclusive minutes.

    simon

    simplesimon, Oct 18, 2003
  5. John

    LarryLamb Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
    > phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
    > regular PC to access the Internet?
    >
    > The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
    > waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
    > surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
    > around £22.
    >
    > I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
    > knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
    > high.
    >
    > Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
    > even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
    > Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?
    >
    > I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
    > on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
    > problem for all mobile networks though.
    >
    > Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
    >
    > John

    Vodafone has two new GPRS data cards - under the banner of Vodafone Mobile
    Connect. They provide quick and easy Internet access for all types of users.

    Both Mobile Connect Cards are easily installed into a laptop PC and are
    pre-configured for use with the Vodafone GPRS network. The only other
    requirement is a GPRS-enabled SIM card.

    For light or medium usage - up to 15MB of data sent and received each month has
    a monthly cost of £5.00 excl. VAT, with data usage charged at £2.00 excl. VAT
    per MB. For heavier users, £45.00 for 150 MB with data usage charged at £1.00
    per MB.

    Also, Orange is upgrading its network to operate at up to 28,000 bps by
    stripping out a lot of the error correction using a technique known as High
    Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD).

    LarryLamb, Oct 18, 2003
  6. John

    Webmaster Guest

    LarryLamb reckoned that:
    > Also, Orange is upgrading its network to operate at up to 28,000 bps by
    > stripping out a lot of the error correction using a technique known as High
    > Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD).

    'Is upgrading'? This happened about 4 years ago!
    --
    www.unlockingshop.co.uk
    Motorola remote unlocking - £10 (includes A920 on '3')

    Webmaster, Oct 18, 2003
  7. John

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:08:07 GMT, "LarryLamb"
    <> wrote:

    >Also, Orange is upgrading its network to operate at up to 28,000 bps by
    >stripping out a lot of the error correction using a technique known as High
    >Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD).

    Your post seems to have taken several years to reach me. ;-)

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!

    , Oct 18, 2003
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:03:13 +0100, "simplesimon"
    <> wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I just wondered if there is a cost effective way to use your mobile
    >> phone to connect a handheld computer, palmtop, notebook, laptop, even
    >> regular PC to access the internet?
    >>
    >> The reason I ask is I recently tried using my mobile phone when I was
    >> waiting to get a new phone line. I used it for about half an hour to
    >> surf the web using my home PC. When I got the bill I was stung for
    >> around £22.
    >>
    >> I know that the way it works is it charges based on KBs downloaded. I
    >> knew it might be a tad expensive but didn't expect it to be quite as
    >> high.
    >>
    >> Can you not just set it to phone a different "freephone" number, or
    >> even local rate number? Or will it always charge you by KB for Data
    >> Calls whether you use your mobile company or not?
    >>
    >> I'm with T-Mobile here in the UK and am very happy with the plan I'm
    >> on and the service. I feel that the high cost of data calls may be a
    >> problem for all mobile networks though.
    >>
    >> Anyway thanks for any info on this one.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >I use my mobile as a dial-up modem. Speed is not great (9.6k) but it works
    >out ok for checking/replying to email as it comes from my inclusive minutes.
    >
    >simon

    Hello.

    How do you use the 9.6K modem part? When I use it on a regular
    computer it just seems to come up and surf with GPRS.

    I'm not on one of those evenings and weekend contracts where you get
    lots of minutes. I just went for an everyone plan with less free
    minutes but lower costs during the daytime, because I make quite a few
    calls in the day. I wouldn't be using the 9.6K part that much,
    probably just for occasional email downloads now and again as well.

    I would never use Vodafone or switch to them, heck, I don't even call
    anyone who uses them. They are Man U sponsors as well as Ferrari. :D

    John

    John, Oct 19, 2003
  9. John

    Dan Guest

    Does anyone know what tariff's on T-Mobile include fax/data calls in
    the free inclusive minutes, even the old one2one tariff's?

    Thanks,

    Danny.

    Dan, Oct 19, 2003
  10. John

    Dan Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Does anyone know what tariff's on T-Mobile include fax/data calls in
    > the free inclusive minutes, even the old one2one tariff's?

    Freetime 750 has data calls to T-Mobile and geographical included.

    Dan, Oct 20, 2003
  11. John

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Dan wrote:
    > > Does anyone know what tariff's on T-Mobile include fax/data calls in
    > > the free inclusive minutes, even the old one2one tariff's?

    > Freetime 750 has data calls to T-Mobile and geographical included.

    Data calls to 01xx / 02xx geo numbers

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 21, 2003
  12. John

    Dan Guest

    > > Freetime 750 has data calls to T-Mobile and geographical included.
    > >

    > Data calls to 01xx / 02xx geo numbers
    >
    > Steve Terry

    I contacted T-mobile, they said FT 750 and many other newer tariff's
    only now cover T-mobile and 01 & 02 fixed lines but they say it's
    voice only.

    Excluding some older one2one tariffs which did include data.

    Steve could you drop me an email on the above address thanks.

    Danny.

    Dan, Oct 21, 2003
  13. John

    Dan Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > I contacted T-mobile, they said FT 750 and many other newer tariff's
    > only now cover T-mobile and 01 & 02 fixed lines but they say it's
    > voice only.
    >
    > Excluding some older one2one tariffs which did include data.

    Their 'what it costs' PDF leaflets go into a lot of detail. I've just
    checked the FT750 one and it spells out that fax and data calls are
    included on the first bullet point. It would certainly be grounds for
    councelling if it didn't do what it said on the tin.

    Dan, Oct 21, 2003
  14. John

    Dan Guest

    Steve Terry wrote:
    > Data calls to 01xx / 02xx geo numbers

    No distinction is made on the type of call that inclusive minutes get
    used on, so T-Mobile to T-Mobile data and fax calls are inclusive too.

    Dan, Oct 21, 2003
  15. John

    Guest

    On 21 Oct 2003 01:56:12 -0700, (Dan) wrote:

    >I contacted T-mobile, they said FT 750 and many other newer tariff's
    >only now cover T-mobile and 01 & 02 fixed lines but they say it's
    >voice only.

    They lied to you.

    Data calls to geographical numbers are inclusive on t-mobile FT750.

    --

    Iain
    the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
    Browse now while stocks last!

    , Oct 21, 2003
  16. John

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Terry wrote:
    > > Data calls to 01xx / 02xx geo numbers

    > No distinction is made on the type of call that inclusive minutes get
    > used on, so T-Mobile to T-Mobile data and fax calls are inclusive too.

    That's the size of it, so only the usual 0845 ISP dialups are excluded.
    Clara.nets 0207 dialup works fine.

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 22, 2003
  17. John

    Dan Guest

    Your right, So it does ;)

    Got given the wrong info by T-Mobile again!

    Looking at the pdf's as dan says on their website, data is inclusive
    on FT750 and also FT1500.

    If you want an FT1500 be quick offer finishes on 1st Nov.

    Danny.

    Dan, Oct 22, 2003