Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ship, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. ship

    ship Guest

    Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

    Hi

    I have a brand new Corsair Flash Voyager Memory Drive (2GB).

    It seems to be ASTONNISHINGLY extravagant at storing data.
    Apparently I have filled up the ENTIRE flash drive (2GB ) with just
    0.98 GB (1,053,551,746 bytes) of data.
    [ It is taking up 1.90 GB (2,050,129,920 bytes) on the Flash drive...]

    Have I formatted the drive in the wrong way or something?!

    There are only 41,292 files located in 862 folders.

    Whereas on my Hard disk
    1.08 GB (1,170,048,529 bytes) of fits into
    1.18 GB (1,269,673,984 bytes) on the disk
    which is 42,336 files in 991 folders.

    Thus I make it that a mere 8.5% of hard disk space is wasted
    on my Hard disk, whereas my Corsair Flash drive appears to be wasting
    about 49% !!!

    - Is this normal?

    - Am I doing anything wrong?

    - Is there anything I can do (apart from Zipping everything which will
    take hours & hours!)

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    P.S. I am using Windows2000
    ship, Nov 16, 2005

  2. ship

    craigm Guest

    ship wrote:
    > Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!
    >

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a brand new Corsair Flash Voyager Memory Drive (2GB).
    >
    > It seems to be ASTONNISHINGLY extravagant at storing data.
    > Apparently I have filled up the ENTIRE flash drive (2GB ) with just
    > 0.98 GB (1,053,551,746 bytes) of data.
    > [ It is taking up 1.90 GB (2,050,129,920 bytes) on the Flash drive...]
    >
    > Have I formatted the drive in the wrong way or something?!
    >
    > There are only 41,292 files located in 862 folders.
    >
    > Whereas on my Hard disk
    > 1.08 GB (1,170,048,529 bytes) of fits into
    > 1.18 GB (1,269,673,984 bytes) on the disk
    > which is 42,336 files in 991 folders.
    >
    > Thus I make it that a mere 8.5% of hard disk space is wasted
    > on my Hard disk, whereas my Corsair Flash drive appears to be wasting
    > about 49% !!!
    >
    > - Is this normal?
    >
    > - Am I doing anything wrong?
    >
    > - Is there anything I can do (apart from Zipping everything which will
    > take hours & hours!)
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe
    >
    > P.S. I am using Windows2000

    Is your Flash memory formatted as FAT (or FAT32)? Is your hard disk
    formatted as NTFS?

    Your average file size is 25 kbytes.

    On my 1 GB flash drive, the minumum allocation of storage is 16 kbytes.
    A 700 byte file will use 16 kbytes of disk space.

    A 25 kbyte file will use 32 kbytes of space (two allocation units) and 7
    of that will be wasted. The 700 byte file will use 1 allocation unit and
    waste 15 kbytes.

    On a hard drive with NTFS (the one in my system), the allocation is 4
    kbytes at a time. This is much more efficient. The same 25 kbyte file
    will use 28 kbyte, only wasting 3. The 700 byte file will only waste 3
    kbytes.

    Look at a small file on you Flash drive and see how much space is used.
    You will see what your minimum allocation size is.

    FAT on large volumes is inefficient. You might be able to format the
    Flash drive differently, but then it may no longer work on some systems.
    {I'm not sure Windows will let you format the Flash drive as NTFS.)

    To be more efficient, your file size should be several times your
    allocation size. Zipping the files is one way to get that effect. You
    don't have to may one big zip file. Zipping 40-50 files at a time will
    result in archives that are about 1 MB. This will reduce the 'waste' to
    a small percentage. Also, your files may compress well, resulting in
    more efficient storage.

    What you are seeing is normal when using many small files on a FAT
    formatted volume.

    Hope this helps.

    craigm
    craigm, Nov 17, 2005

  3. ship

    Ray Fischer Guest

    ship <> wrote:
    >Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

    Which has nothing at all to do with the memory card and everything to
    do with the file system.

    >I have a brand new Corsair Flash Voyager Memory Drive (2GB).
    >
    >It seems to be ASTONNISHINGLY extravagant at storing data.
    >Apparently I have filled up the ENTIRE flash drive (2GB ) with just
    >0.98 GB (1,053,551,746 bytes) of data.
    >[ It is taking up 1.90 GB (2,050,129,920 bytes) on the Flash drive...]

    You have too much free time.

    >Have I formatted the drive in the wrong way or something?!
    >
    >There are only 41,292 files located in 862 folders.

    "Only" 41 thousand files?!?

    >Whereas on my Hard disk
    >1.08 GB (1,170,048,529 bytes) of fits into
    >1.18 GB (1,269,673,984 bytes) on the disk
    >which is 42,336 files in 991 folders.
    >
    >Thus I make it that a mere 8.5% of hard disk space is wasted
    >on my Hard disk, whereas my Corsair Flash drive appears to be wasting
    >about 49% !!!
    >
    >- Is this normal?

    Yes.

    >- Am I doing anything wrong?

    No.

    >- Is there anything I can do (apart from Zipping everything which will
    >take hours & hours!)

    Stop worrying about it. In the tradeoff between speed and storage
    efficiency, lots of small files cost you storage efficiency.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 19, 2005
  4. "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    > ship <> wrote:
    >>Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

    > Which has nothing at all to do with the memory card and everything to
    > do with the file system.
    >
    >>I have a brand new Corsair Flash Voyager Memory Drive (2GB).
    >>
    >>It seems to be ASTONNISHINGLY extravagant at storing data.
    >>Apparently I have filled up the ENTIRE flash drive (2GB ) with just
    >>0.98 GB (1,053,551,746 bytes) of data.
    >>[ It is taking up 1.90 GB (2,050,129,920 bytes) on the Flash drive...]

    > You have too much free time.
    >
    >>Have I formatted the drive in the wrong way or something?!
    >>
    >>There are only 41,292 files located in 862 folders.

    > "Only" 41 thousand files?!?
    >
    >>Whereas on my Hard disk
    >>1.08 GB (1,170,048,529 bytes) of fits into
    >>1.18 GB (1,269,673,984 bytes) on the disk
    >>which is 42,336 files in 991 folders.
    >>
    >>Thus I make it that a mere 8.5% of hard disk space is wasted
    >>on my Hard disk, whereas my Corsair Flash drive appears to be wasting
    >>about 49% !!!
    >>
    >>- Is this normal?

    > Yes.
    >
    >>- Am I doing anything wrong?

    > No.
    >
    >>- Is there anything I can do (apart from Zipping everything which will
    >>take hours & hours!)

    > Stop worrying about it. In the tradeoff between speed and storage
    > efficiency, lots of small files cost you storage efficiency.

    I am an old timer. I used to be using DOS, Windows 4.1 and Windows 95. When
    you format the 2 Gig flash memory into FAT16, each cluster size is 32K
    bytes. That means if you store a simple text file of 1K or 2K, it will still
    use up 32K bytes of storage space.

    FAT16 means is File Allocation Table using 16 bits address to access the
    memory. 16 bit address can access 2^16 = 65,536. So that in order to access
    everything in 2Gig, each cluster has to be 32K(or 32,768), so that 65,536 x
    32,768 = 2,147,483,648 = 2Gig.

    If you computer's hard drive is using NTFS, the cluster size is 4K bytes. If
    you store a 1K or 2K file, it will still use up 4K bytes of storage.

    Your camera probably formatted your Corsair Flash Memory to FAT 16. There is
    no choice because that is probably the only acceptable format for your
    camera. You should have no problem if you really use the flash memory for
    digital photo because the photo files are usually extremely big compared to
    the 32K cluster size so that there will hardly be any waste.

    I think this well explains what you saw.

    Wannabe
    =======
    WannabeSomeone, Nov 19, 2005