    Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
    receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
    pictures.
    Alan Lichtenstein, Jul 13, 2011

  2. Alan Lichtenstein

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jul 13, 11:53 am, Alan Lichtenstein <> wrote:
    > I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple point-and-shoot
    > camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation.  It was the only
    > camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and all we really
    > wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some background, which it
    > was adequate for.
    >
    > Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
    > which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
    > taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
    > message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
    > Nor could I download the shots to my computer.  I would have to download
    > them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
    > into my library.  Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
    > discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure.  Does
    > anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?
    >
    > Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
    > receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
    > pictures.

    If you have a card reader, rather than use teh camera can't you just
    drag and drop the folder (Mac OS)
    or use the PC to open the folder and copy all the files/folder.
    You might need to de-select any corrupt file/image first.
    Whisky-dave, Jul 13, 2011

  3. Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 11:53 am, Alan Lichtenstein <> wrote:
    >
    >>I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple point-and-shoot
    >>camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation. It was the only
    >>camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and all we really
    >>wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some background, which it
    >>was adequate for.
    >>
    >>Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
    >>which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
    >>taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
    >>message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
    >>Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to download
    >>them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
    >>into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
    >>discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. Does
    >>anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?
    >>
    >>Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
    >>receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
    >>pictures.

    > If you have a card reader, rather than use teh camera can't you just
    > drag and drop the folder (Mac OS)
    > or use the PC to open the folder and copy all the files/folder.
    > You might need to de-select any corrupt file/image first.

    Tried that already. It doesn't work. The card just freezes and will
    not either download images beyond the spot where the corruption is, or
    allow me to delete the corrupted image.
    Alan Lichtenstein, Jul 13, 2011
  4. otter wrote:

    > On Jul 13 2011 5:53 AM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    >

    >>Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
    >>which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
    >>taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
    >>message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
    >>Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to download
    >>them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
    >>into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
    >>discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. Does
    >>anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?

    > Can you give more details? How are you trying to down load the pictures?
    > Do you have a card reader? What software are you using to do the download?
    >
    > If you are connecting the camera to your computer with a usb cable, it may
    > be better to use a card reader. Apart from that, I'd just be speculating
    > as to what your problem is.
    >
    > There is file recovery software that may help. I have a copy of
    > "RescuePRO" that came with my Sandisk CF card. It worked pretty well to
    > recover some pictures from a hard drive that I thought I lost. Had to
    > sort through a lot of junk though. Maybe something like that could help
    > you with your download issue, but not sure.
    >
    > -------

    I've been using a card reader. The problem is that I can import images
    up to the spot where the apparent corruption is and no further. If I
    stop the import and remove the card( it will not allow itself to be
    ejected in any of the usual ways ), what is already downloaded will be
    dropped into a file on my hard drive. Pictures beyond the spot where
    the corruption is cannot be downloaded,

    I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
    either one at a time, or all.
    Alan Lichtenstein, Jul 13, 2011
  5. Alan Lichtenstein

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/13/2011 12:13 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > otter wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 13 2011 5:53 AM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    >>

    >>> Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
    >>> which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after
    >>> having taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a
    >>> 'picture error' message and was not able to delete the picture in the
    >>> corrupted spot. Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I
    >>> would have to download them one-by-one and put them in a folder which
    >>> I could them put them into my library. Although I only have 280
    >>> pictures( before editing and discarding ), this would be a somewhat
    >>> time consuming procedure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more
    >>> rapid way to transfer the images?

    >> Can you give more details? How are you trying to down load the
    >> pictures? Do you have a card reader? What software are you using to do
    >> the download?
    >>
    >> If you are connecting the camera to your computer with a usb cable, it
    >> may
    >> be better to use a card reader. Apart from that, I'd just be speculating
    >> as to what your problem is.
    >>
    >> There is file recovery software that may help. I have a copy of
    >> "RescuePRO" that came with my Sandisk CF card. It worked pretty well to
    >> recover some pictures from a hard drive that I thought I lost. Had to
    >> sort through a lot of junk though. Maybe something like that could help
    >> you with your download issue, but not sure.
    >>
    >> -------
    >>

    > I've been using a card reader. The problem is that I can import images
    > up to the spot where the apparent corruption is and no further. If I
    > stop the import and remove the card( it will not allow itself to be
    > ejected in any of the usual ways ), what is already downloaded will be
    > dropped into a file on my hard drive. Pictures beyond the spot where the
    > corruption is cannot be downloaded,
    >
    > I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
    > either one at a time, or all.

    Can you copy the whole directory?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 13, 2011
  6. Alan Lichtenstein

    ASCII Guest

    ASCII, Jul 13, 2011
  7. Alan Lichtenstein

    ASCII Guest

    Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > Pictures beyond the spot where
    >the corruption is cannot be downloaded,
    >
    >I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
    >either one at a time, or all.

    After you recover whatever you can,
    maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
    http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
    works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
    be careful to select which drive before starting.
    ASCII, Jul 13, 2011
  8. Alan Lichtenstein

    Richard Guest

    Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple
    > point-and-shoot camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation.
    > It was the only camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and
    > all we really wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some
    > background, which it was adequate for.
    >
    > Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
    > which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
    > taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
    > message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.
    > Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to
    > download them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them
    > put them into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before
    > editing and discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming
    > procedure. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to
    > transfer the images?
    > Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find
    > the receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting
    > the pictures.

    This has worked for me in the past:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    Richard, Jul 13, 2011
  9. Alan Lichtenstein

    nospam Guest

    In article <4e1ed158.3667546@EDCBIC>, ASCII <> wrote:

    > After you recover whatever you can,
    > maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
    > http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
    > works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
    > be careful to select which drive before starting.

    there is no such thing as low level formatting a usb card or a hard
    drive for that matter.

    it probably just writes 0s to every block, which is a total waste of
    time. hard drives automatically remap bad blocks and flash has wear
    leveling.
    nospam, Jul 13, 2011
  10. Alan Lichtenstein

    ASCII Guest

    nospam wrote:
    >In article <4e1ed158.3667546@EDCBIC>, ASCII <> wrote:
    >
    >> After you recover whatever you can,
    >> maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
    >> http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
    >> works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
    >> be careful to select which drive before starting.

    >there is no such thing as low level formatting a usb card or a hard
    >drive for that matter.
    >
    >it probably just writes 0s to every block, which is a total waste of
    >time. hard drives automatically remap bad blocks and flash has wear
    >leveling.

    I wonder why the chose to call it as they did,
    if you're accurate in saying there's "no such thing"?
    ASCII, Jul 13, 2011
  11. Alan Lichtenstein

    nospam Guest

    In article <4e1ee1db.7895031@EDCBIC>, ASCII <> wrote:

    > >> After you recover whatever you can,
    > >> maybe you can restore the media with a low level format.
    > >> http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
    > >> works on USB card readers etc. as well as internal HDDs
    > >> be careful to select which drive before starting.

    > >there is no such thing as low level formatting a usb card or a hard
    > >drive for that matter.
    > >
    > >it probably just writes 0s to every block, which is a total waste of
    > >time. hard drives automatically remap bad blocks and flash has wear
    > >leveling.

    > I wonder why the chose to call it as they did,
    > if you're accurate in saying there's "no such thing"?

    because 'low level format' is a misused term. low level formatting for
    a hard drive is done at the factory. it *can't* be done by an end user.
    there's no command to do it in the ata protocol. it's not possible. for
    a usb card, it doesn't even make sense.

    for whatever reason, low level formatting has come to mean 'write 0s'
    and there's rarely even a need to do that.

    in any event, his card sounds defective. it needs to be replaced.
    nospam, Jul 13, 2011
  12. Alan Lichtenstein

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 13/07/2011 17:09, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > Whisky-dave wrote:
    >> On Jul 13, 11:53 am, Alan Lichtenstein <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I purchased a SanDisk 4GB HDSC card for use in a simple point-and-shoot
    >>> camera for my wife that we took on our last vacation. It was the only
    >>> camera that we took, as we were going on a cruise and all we really
    >>> wanted was a few pictures of ourselves with some background, which it
    >>> was adequate for.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently the card was defective and corrupted out of the package,
    >>> which I discovered when I attempted to delete a bad shot, after having
    >>> taken a number of other pictures afterwards, and got a 'picture error'
    >>> message and was not able to delete the picture in the corrupted spot.

    Most faults like the one you describe are caused by bad handling of the
    media by end users - ejecting it whilst a write is still in progress.

    >>> Nor could I download the shots to my computer. I would have to download
    >>> them one-by-one and put them in a folder which I could them put them
    >>> into my library. Although I only have 280 pictures( before editing and
    >>> discarding ), this would be a somewhat time consuming procedure. Does
    >>> anyone have any suggestions for a more rapid way to transfer the images?

    If you have a means that works then use it even if it is a bit tedious.

    >>> Of course, I intend to return the card to SanDisk( I hope I can find the
    >>> receipt somewhere ), but that's secondary at this time to getting the
    >>> pictures.

    >> If you have a card reader, rather than use teh camera can't you just
    >> drag and drop the folder (Mac OS)
    >> or use the PC to open the folder and copy all the files/folder.
    >> You might need to de-select any corrupt file/image first.

    > Tried that already. It doesn't work. The card just freezes and will not
    > either download images beyond the spot where the corruption is, or allow
    > me to delete the corrupted image.

    One free piece of advice do not do anything at all that will attempt to
    modify or write to the damaged media.

    There are file and image specific recovery programmes that will make a
    pretty good attempt to get images back from defective media. But the
    golden rule is to backup the original damaged media bit for bit and then
    work on a copy - you cannot trust any recovery programs to work reliably
    under all circumstances and if you trash the original it makes it much
    much harder for any better techniques that are applied later.

    Photorescue is a fairly reasonable representative of the genre.

    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

    ISTR the demo version will show you what it has found before you have to
    pay for it. All the good ones offer to make a binary bitwise copy before
    attempting to do anything else.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jul 13, 2011
  13. Alan Lichtenstein

    ASCII Guest

    nospam wrote:

    >for whatever reason, low level formatting has come to mean 'write 0s'
    >and there's rarely even a need to do that.

    I only do it to media before using it to transfer pics to another person,
    and don't know what other data might be lingering.

    >in any event, his card sounds defective. it needs to be replaced.

    I'd try to LLF (zero out) the formatting and reformat it first,
    to see if it was only corrupted and could be salvaged,
    then if no joy, just toss it.
    ASCII, Jul 13, 2011
  14. PeterN wrote:
    > On 7/13/2011 12:13 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    >
    >> otter wrote:

    >>> Can you give more details? How are you trying to down load the
    >>> pictures? Do you have a card reader? What software are you using to do
    >>> the download?
    >>>
    >>> If you are connecting the camera to your computer with a usb cable, it
    >>> may
    >>> be better to use a card reader. Apart from that, I'd just be speculating
    >>> as to what your problem is.
    >>>
    >>> There is file recovery software that may help. I have a copy of
    >>> "RescuePRO" that came with my Sandisk CF card. It worked pretty well to
    >>> recover some pictures from a hard drive that I thought I lost. Had to
    >>> sort through a lot of junk though. Maybe something like that could help
    >>> you with your download issue, but not sure.
    >>>
    >>> -------
    >>>

    >> I've been using a card reader. The problem is that I can import images
    >> up to the spot where the apparent corruption is and no further. If I
    >> stop the import and remove the card( it will not allow itself to be
    >> ejected in any of the usual ways ), what is already downloaded will be
    >> dropped into a file on my hard drive. Pictures beyond the spot where the
    >> corruption is cannot be downloaded,
    >>
    >> I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
    >> either one at a time, or all.

    > Can you copy the whole directory?

    No.
    Alan Lichtenstein, Jul 14, 2011
  15. Alan Lichtenstein

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/13/2011 7:21 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> I've been using a card reader. The problem is that I can import images
    >>> up to the spot where the apparent corruption is and no further. If I
    >>> stop the import and remove the card( it will not allow itself to be
    >>> ejected in any of the usual ways ), what is already downloaded will be
    >>> dropped into a file on my hard drive. Pictures beyond the spot where the
    >>> corruption is cannot be downloaded,
    >>>
    >>> I cannot deselect any pictures on the card prior to downloading. It's
    >>> either one at a time, or all.

    >> Can you copy the whole directory?
    >>

    > No.

    I thought someone had made a suggestion a using the Sandisk recovery
    tool to copy the directory to your HD.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 14, 2011
  16. PeterN wrote:

    > On 7/13/2011 7:21 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    >
    >> PeterN wrote:

    >>> Can you copy the whole directory?
    >>>

    >> No.

    > I thought someone had made a suggestion a using the Sandisk recovery
    > tool to copy the directory to your HD.

    I Haven't used the SanDisk Recovery program yet. I will have to get it
    to try.
    Alan Lichtenstein, Jul 16, 2011
  17. Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> No.

    >> I thought someone had made a suggestion a using the Sandisk recovery
    >> tool to copy the directory to your HD.
    >>

    > I Haven't used the SanDisk Recovery program yet. I will have to get it
    > to try.

    The SanDisk recovery program did recover the pictures, which I was able
    to put into another folder and copy on to a flash drive to make prints,
    which was all I wanted to do. Had a lot of confusion working with the
    program, as the help function was very unsatisfactory with no
    explanations of any of the buttons in the program.

    Regardless, I want to thank everyone who offered suggestions, as they
    were greatly appreciated.
    Alan Lichtenstein, Jul 19, 2011
  18. Alan Lichtenstein

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/18/2011 8:19 PM, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    > Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
    >> PeterN wrote:

    >>> I thought someone had made a suggestion a using the Sandisk recovery
    >>> tool to copy the directory to your HD.
    >>>

    >> I Haven't used the SanDisk Recovery program yet. I will have to get it
    >> to try.

    > The SanDisk recovery program did recover the pictures, which I was able
    > to put into another folder and copy on to a flash drive to make prints,
    > which was all I wanted to do. Had a lot of confusion working with the
    > program, as the help function was very unsatisfactory with no
    > explanations of any of the buttons in the program.
    >
    > Regardless, I want to thank everyone who offered suggestions, as they
    > were greatly appreciated.

    Glad it worked out for you :)

    --
    Peter