Corrupted keyboard/mouse files- How to transfer data?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wjskin@gmail.com, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I own a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP on it. It appears I have
    corrupted files for both my keyboard and mouse. When I start the PC,
    it tells me so...and I have no way to access the PC (at all). Windows
    boots up fine and I can see my desktop (as well as the message. I
    can't boot into safe mode because the keyboard is not available to do
    so.

    I have tried several shutdowns and bootups (with various mice and
    keyboards). Still, no go. The PC refuses to download the necessary
    software (automatically). I brought my PC to MicroCenter today. They
    told me they would need to reformat the entire hard drive (deleting all
    my files), however knowing how quickly these "PC experts" jump to the
    last resort, I decided otherwise.

    I have decided (after almost 4 years), it's time for a new PC.
    However, when the new PC arrives, I would like to transfer files from
    the old to the new (I have backups on much of this, but not enough).
    My question is: how do I backup data from a PC (which cannot be
    accessed via mouse or keyboard)? I have used software (i.e., laplink)
    in the past, however, it always involved creating the connection at
    both ends (new and old PC). Sort of a push-pull. However, my
    situation will be purely extracting data without the benefit of the
    "nudge".

    Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    , Feb 1, 2006

  2. Rich Wilson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I own a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP on it. It appears I have
    > corrupted files for both my keyboard and mouse. When I start the PC,
    > it tells me so...and I have no way to access the PC (at all). Windows
    > boots up fine and I can see my desktop (as well as the message. I
    > can't boot into safe mode because the keyboard is not available to do
    > so.
    >
    > I have tried several shutdowns and bootups (with various mice and
    > keyboards). Still, no go. The PC refuses to download the necessary
    > software (automatically). I brought my PC to MicroCenter today. They
    > told me they would need to reformat the entire hard drive (deleting all
    > my files), however knowing how quickly these "PC experts" jump to the
    > last resort, I decided otherwise.

    Good choice. Sounds like there's something broken on the motherboard but the
    hard disk itself is probably fine. It's perfectly easy to connect your disk
    to another computer and copy the files to that computer's hard disk.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=connect hard disk

    Rich Wilson, Feb 2, 2006

  3. Guest

    Rich,

    Thanks for the advice. I believe this is what I'll do.

    Bill

    , Feb 2, 2006
  4. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I own a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP on it. It appears I have
    > corrupted files for both my keyboard and mouse. When I start the PC,
    > it tells me so...and I have no way to access the PC (at all). Windows
    > boots up fine and I can see my desktop (as well as the message. I
    > can't boot into safe mode because the keyboard is not available to do
    > so.
    >
    > I have tried several shutdowns and bootups (with various mice and
    > keyboards). Still, no go. The PC refuses to download the necessary
    > software (automatically). I brought my PC to MicroCenter today. They
    > told me they would need to reformat the entire hard drive (deleting all
    > my files), however knowing how quickly these "PC experts" jump to the
    > last resort, I decided otherwise.
    >
    > I have decided (after almost 4 years), it's time for a new PC.
    > However, when the new PC arrives, I would like to transfer files from
    > the old to the new (I have backups on much of this, but not enough).
    > My question is: how do I backup data from a PC (which cannot be
    > accessed via mouse or keyboard)? I have used software (i.e., laplink)
    > in the past, however, it always involved creating the connection at
    > both ends (new and old PC). Sort of a push-pull. However, my
    > situation will be purely extracting data without the benefit of the
    > "nudge".
    >
    > Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Or if you don't feel like opening your new box, buy an external USB housing
    and mount your old drive in there.
    Then when plugged into a USB socket on your new PC it will come up as
    another disk drive and you can drag & drop as required.

    Once you've finished your data transfer the external drive can then be
    reformatted and used as a quick & easy backup solution.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Feb 2, 2006