Corrupted keyboard/mouse files- How to transfer data?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by wjskin@gmail.com, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I own a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP on it. It appears I have
    corrupted files for both my keyboard and mouse. When I start the PC,
    it tells me so...and I have no way to access the PC (at all). Windows
    boots up fine and I can see my desktop (as well as the message. I
    can't boot into safe mode because the keyboard is not available to do
    so.

    I have tried several shutdowns and bootups (with various mice and
    keyboards). Still, no go. The PC refuses to download the necessary
    software (automatically). I brought my PC to MicroCenter today. They
    told me they would need to reformat the entire hard drive (deleting all
    my files), however knowing how quickly these "PC experts" jump to the
    last resort, I decided otherwise.

    I have decided (after almost 4 years), it's time for a new PC.
    However, when the new PC arrives, I would like to transfer files from
    the old to the new (I have backups on much of this, but not enough).
    My question is: how do I backup data from a PC (which cannot be
    accessed via mouse or keyboard)? I have used software (i.e., laplink)
    in the past, however, it always involved creating the connection at
    both ends (new and old PC). Sort of a push-pull. However, my
    situation will be purely extracting data without the benefit of the
    "nudge".

    Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    , Feb 2, 2006

  2. JANA Guest

    Remove the hard drive. After installing the operating system in the new
    machine, install the old hard drive as a second drive. You should be able to
    read it. Make sure you do not cross any operating system files from the old
    drive to the new one. Just make sure you transfer the user data only.

    After all done, you can re-format the old drive, and use it as a second
    drive in the computer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 2, 2006

  3. JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:01:58 -0800, wjskin wrote:

    > I own a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP on it. It appears I have
    > corrupted files for both my keyboard and mouse. When I start the PC,
    > it tells me so...and I have no way to access the PC (at all). Windows
    > boots up fine and I can see my desktop (as well as the message. I
    > can't boot into safe mode because the keyboard is not available to do
    > so.
    >
    > I have tried several shutdowns and bootups (with various mice and
    > keyboards). Still, no go. The PC refuses to download the necessary
    > software (automatically). I brought my PC to MicroCenter today. They
    > told me they would need to reformat the entire hard drive (deleting all
    > my files), however knowing how quickly these "PC experts" jump to the
    > last resort, I decided otherwise.
    >
    > I have decided (after almost 4 years), it's time for a new PC.
    > However, when the new PC arrives, I would like to transfer files from
    > the old to the new (I have backups on much of this, but not enough).
    > My question is: how do I backup data from a PC (which cannot be
    > accessed via mouse or keyboard)? I have used software (i.e., laplink)
    > in the past, however, it always involved creating the connection at
    > both ends (new and old PC). Sort of a push-pull. However, my
    > situation will be purely extracting data without the benefit of the
    > "nudge".
    >
    > Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    I'm confused. Your keyboard and mouse have no files. How can they be
    corrupted? This sounds like a classic case of a PS2 mouse and keyboard
    being plugged into the wrong and easily mistaken, identical looking
    PS2 ports on the back of the PC. Try swapping their positions.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 2, 2006