    What causes this and how can I fix it so I can access my images from the
    card to work on them?
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Bob Williams

    Martin Brown Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > I have about 150 images on a Lexar 512MB memory card at present.
    > When I download them with my SIIG 6-in-1 card reader, the first 120 or
    > so, display properly as thumbnails on my computer monitor.
    > but the last 30 or so do not show up as thumbnails.
    > When I double click the no-shows, to open them in Photoshop, PS gives me
    > the following message.
    > " Photoshop cannot open this image because an incorrect or invalid .jpeg
    > marker type is present"
    > What causes this and how can I fix it so I can access my images from the
    > card to work on them?

    The first thing to try is running one of the generic image recovery
    programs against a copy of the original corrupted media. eg PhotoRescue.
    If that doesn't work then you have to ask how important are those images.

    One minor point - PhotoShop is a very bad choice of application for
    looking at damaged JPEG's. It gives up far too easily. Most web browsers
    or anything based on the IJG codec will at least show you part of an
    image if there is anything remotely like a valid JPEG stream in the
    file. Some applications may crash when faced with bad JPEG files...

    If the damaged images have commercial value there are possibilities to
    repair some types of corruption but it isn't routine or quick.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >
    >> I have about 150 images on a Lexar 512MB memory card at present.
    >> When I download them with my SIIG 6-in-1 card reader, the first 120
    >> or so, display properly as thumbnails on my computer monitor.
    >> but the last 30 or so do not show up as thumbnails.
    >> When I double click the no-shows, to open them in Photoshop, PS gives
    >> me the following message.
    >> " Photoshop cannot open this image because an incorrect or invalid
    >> .jpeg marker type is present"
    >> What causes this and how can I fix it so I can access my images from
    >> the card to work on them?

    > The first thing to try is running one of the generic image recovery
    > programs against a copy of the original corrupted media. eg PhotoRescue.
    > If that doesn't work then you have to ask how important are those images.
    >
    > One minor point - PhotoShop is a very bad choice of application for
    > looking at damaged JPEG's. It gives up far too easily. Most web browsers
    > or anything based on the IJG codec will at least show you part of an
    > image if there is anything remotely like a valid JPEG stream in the
    > file. Some applications may crash when faced with bad JPEG files...
    >
    > If the damaged images have commercial value there are possibilities to
    > repair some types of corruption but it isn't routine or quick.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    Thanks, Martin
    I forgot to mention that all the images show up just fine on the
    camera's LCD screen, so the images themselves may not be corrupted but
    only a jpeg marker, (whatever the hell that is), is invalid.
    Could the reader be suspect? Could I be short of RAM?
    150 images would take up about 300+ MB of memory. I have 256 MB of RAM.
    Does that have anything to do with it?
    Bob
    Bob Williams, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Bob Williams

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > Martin Brown wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have about 150 images on a Lexar 512MB memory card at present.
    >>> When I download them with my SIIG 6-in-1 card reader, the first 120
    >>> or so, display properly as thumbnails on my computer monitor.
    >>> but the last 30 or so do not show up as thumbnails.
    >>> When I double click the no-shows, to open them in Photoshop, PS gives
    >>> me the following message.
    >>> " Photoshop cannot open this image because an incorrect or invalid
    >>> .jpeg marker type is present"
    >>> What causes this and how can I fix it so I can access my images from
    >>> the card to work on them?

    >> The first thing to try is running one of the generic image recovery
    >> programs against a copy of the original corrupted media. eg
    >> PhotoRescue. If that doesn't work then you have to ask how important
    >> are those images.
    >>
    >> One minor point - PhotoShop is a very bad choice of application for
    >> looking at damaged JPEG's. It gives up far too easily. Most web
    >> browsers or anything based on the IJG codec will at least show you
    >> part of an image if there is anything remotely like a valid JPEG
    >> stream in the file. Some applications may crash when faced with bad
    >> JPEG files...
    >>
    >> If the damaged images have commercial value there are possibilities to
    >> repair some types of corruption but it isn't routine or quick.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin Brown

    > Thanks, Martin
    > I forgot to mention that all the images show up just fine on the
    > camera's LCD screen, so the images themselves may not be corrupted but
    > only a jpeg marker, (whatever the hell that is), is invalid.
    > Could the reader be suspect? Could I be short of RAM?
    > 150 images would take up about 300+ MB of memory. I have 256 MB of RAM.
    > Does that have anything to do with it?
    > Bob

    Probably using something less picky about JPEG than Photoshop would be
    good. Start with Irfanview. It manages to display some pretty messed
    up files, at least partially.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Bob Williams

    Jorl Shefner Guest

    I had a somewhat similar problem with a new higher speed (SanDisk
    Extreme SD) card. They previewed fine in the camera, but my 6-in-1
    reader garbled them. The reader works fine for CF and my old SD cards
    incidentally. I thought it was the card, and even got a replacement
    but the problem remained. My temporary solution was just to dump the
    images directly from the camera via USB, which works fine. Have you
    tried this?
    I'd prefer to use a reader, but this won't be an option for me at
    present. My reader is pretty old, so I may get a newer USB 2.0 version
    (I wanted to do so anyway) and see if that helps.

    J.S.
    Jorl Shefner, Apr 29, 2005
  6. On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:51:46 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:

    >I have about 150 images on a Lexar 512MB memory card at present.
    >When I download them with my SIIG 6-in-1 card reader, the first 120 or
    >so, display properly as thumbnails on my computer monitor.
    >but the last 30 or so do not show up as thumbnails.
    >When I double click the no-shows, to open them in Photoshop, PS gives me
    >the following message.
    >" Photoshop cannot open this image because an incorrect or invalid .jpeg
    >marker type is present"
    >What causes this and how can I fix it so I can access my images from the
    >card to work on them?
    >Bob Williams

    Been there and done that. You will find that if you remove USB2 items from your
    computer, uninstall all the connections in Device manager the computer will
    start installing drivers for whatever is connected. Plug in the reader first.
    Driver installs and you can start downloading all the pictures.
    My trouble started when I got the OLY E300 8Mpx. I thought it might be memory
    but I have 1 GB and everything else works.

    It now works fine and the ultimate test is to make sure you have every picture
    on the computer. Delete pictures with the card in the camera and then put the
    card in the reader and write the pictures back to the card again. I think you
    will find it working again.

    Borge, Perth
    Pentium P4 2.4Ghz, 1 Gb memory, 600 GB space
    Olympus 2100UZ, E300, Pentax Optio S, Canon S1.
    nesredep egrob, Apr 30, 2005
  7. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Hi Borge,
    Thanks for the heads up on that problem.
    Must I uninstall ALL USB devices or just the Card Reader?
    How do I uninstall USB connections in Device Manager?
    Bob

    Bob Williams, Apr 30, 2005
  8. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:16:02 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:

    >Hi Borge,
    >Thanks for the heads up on that problem.
    >Must I uninstall ALL USB devices or just the Card Reader?
    >How do I uninstall USB connections in Device Manager?
    >Bob
    >
    >nesredep egrob wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:51:46 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:

    You right click on the usb connections. that will give you the chance to disable
    or uninstall. Go ahead and uninstall them all. As you re-connect the various
    items you have (I have about 8) watch out for the one that may kill your effort.

    It is my opinion that copying 10-15 mb of files from card to computer and back
    again will tell you - it is time-consuming but so is the sorry state of USB
    drivers.
    I diagnosed a faulty (intermittent) USB2 hub that way. My Wacom LED switched off
    and the pen did not work at times.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
    nesredep egrob, May 1, 2005
  9. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    nesredep egrob wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:16:02 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Borge,
    >>Thanks for the heads up on that problem.
    >>Must I uninstall ALL USB devices or just the Card Reader?
    >>How do I uninstall USB connections in Device Manager?
    >>Bob
    >>
    >>nesredep egrob wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:51:46 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >>>

    > You right click on the usb connections. that will give you the chance to disable
    > or uninstall. Go ahead and uninstall them all. As you re-connect the various
    > items you have (I have about 8) watch out for the one that may kill your effort.
    >
    > It is my opinion that copying 10-15 mb of files from card to computer and back
    > again will tell you - it is time-consuming but so is the sorry state of USB
    > drivers.
    > I diagnosed a faulty (intermittent) USB2 hub that way. My Wacom LED switched off
    > and the pen did not work at times.
    >
    > B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    > If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    I'm on Win 98 SE.
    Will I have to reinstall the drivers that came with the devices if I
    disable/uninstall them in the Device Manager?
    I may be pressed to round up all the device drivers that I installed
    originally.
    Bob
    Bob Williams, May 1, 2005
  10. On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:32:02 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:

    >nesredep egrob wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:16:02 -0700, Bob Williams <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Borge,
    >>>Thanks for the heads up on that problem.
    >>>Must I uninstall ALL USB devices or just the Card Reader?
    >>>How do I uninstall USB connections in Device Manager?
    >>>Bob

    >> You right click on the usb connections. that will give you the chance to disable
    >> or uninstall. Go ahead and uninstall them all. As you re-connect the various
    >> items you have (I have about 8) watch out for the one that may kill your effort.
    >>
    >> It is my opinion that copying 10-15 mb of files from card to computer and back
    >> again will tell you - it is time-consuming but so is the sorry state of USB
    >> drivers.
    >> I diagnosed a faulty (intermittent) USB2 hub that way. My Wacom LED switched off
    >> and the pen did not work at times.
    >>
    >> B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    >> If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
    >>

    >I'm on Win 98 SE.
    >Will I have to reinstall the drivers that came with the devices if I
    >disable/uninstall them in the Device Manager?
    >I may be pressed to round up all the device drivers that I installed
    >originally.
    >Bob

    I find that as you connect, the computer finds its way around installing the
    correct driver. Been there and done that - too long ago for 98SE.

    nesredep egrob, May 1, 2005