Corrupted IE7

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John McCann, Dec 2, 2006.

  1. John McCann

    John McCann Guest

    Can anyone help?
    My friend has a recent problem on Explorer. If she uses a search engine for
    any site, and then selects the first in the line of the hits that come up,
    nomatter where the site is, she is taken to one of a number of other sites,
    many of which are porn.

    For example - enter PC World in Google, About 10 or so hits come up. If you
    select the first one which is the obvious correct one, you are taken to one
    of these "wrong" sites. Strangely, if you select a site perhaps 4th or 5th
    on the list, you go to the correct site. It seems the Number One suggestion
    is the bad one in every case.

    I have looked at the address which shows at the bottom of the screen, just
    above the Task Bar, when she hits the Go button to go to a site. When the
    bad one comes up, the address shown at the bottom of the screen always
    starts with "BNUX"

    All of the offending sites, have exactly the same graphic layout, even to
    the colours.

    At the same time, her OE packed up and she cannot send or receive.

    We have scanned with Norton and with Windows Defender, but cannot find
    anything.

    Any suggestions please? What is it?

    John
    John McCann, Dec 2, 2006

  2. John McCann

    ellis_jay Guest

    John McCann wrote:
    > Can anyone help?
    > My friend has a recent problem on Explorer. If she uses a search
    > engine for any site, and then selects the first in the line of the
    > hits that come up, nomatter where the site is, she is taken to one of
    > a number of other sites, many of which are porn.
    >
    > For example - enter PC World in Google, About 10 or so hits come up.
    > If you select the first one which is the obvious correct one, you are
    > taken to one of these "wrong" sites. Strangely, if you select a site
    > perhaps 4th or 5th on the list, you go to the correct site. It seems
    > the Number One suggestion is the bad one in every case.
    >
    > I have looked at the address which shows at the bottom of the screen,
    > just above the Task Bar, when she hits the Go button to go to a site.
    > When the bad one comes up, the address shown at the bottom of the
    > screen always starts with "BNUX"
    >
    > All of the offending sites, have exactly the same graphic layout,
    > even to the colours.
    >
    > At the same time, her OE packed up and she cannot send or receive.
    >
    > We have scanned with Norton and with Windows Defender, but cannot find
    > anything.
    >
    > Any suggestions please? What is it?
    >
    > John

    Run hjt from tom coyote and post results from the scan to a form of your
    choice for analysis. I don't think the first link on a Google search is
    bogus all that much. Once I did do a Google for CrapCleaner, i.e., Ccleaner
    program. The very first link on the first offering at Google was bogus.
    Instead of Ccleaner with two "C's" in the link, there wa a third "C"-like
    "Cccleaner".

    I failed to notice the extra alphabet letter and collected a nasty in the
    process. Ya got to be careful when roaming around in cyber space.

    Another time there was a phony Google link floating around. The word
    "Google" had the letter "K" inserted and if clicking on the www address you
    would get a nasty virus.

    Scan with Housecall and Kaspersky on line scanners both.

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Dec 2, 2006

  3. John McCann

    MrB Guest

    In Tools, turn on the Phishing filter. See if that helps.

    MrB, Dec 2, 2006
  4. John McCann

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Dec 2, 2006
  5. John McCann

    Alan Guest

    John McCann wrote:
    > Can anyone help?
    > My friend has a recent problem on Explorer. If she uses a search engine for
    > any site, and then selects the first in the line of the hits that come up,
    > nomatter where the site is, she is taken to one of a number of other sites,
    > many of which are porn.
    >
    > For example - enter PC World in Google, About 10 or so hits come up. If you
    > select the first one which is the obvious correct one, you are taken to one
    > of these "wrong" sites. Strangely, if you select a site perhaps 4th or 5th
    > on the list, you go to the correct site. It seems the Number One suggestion
    > is the bad one in every case.
    >
    > I have looked at the address which shows at the bottom of the screen, just
    > above the Task Bar, when she hits the Go button to go to a site. When the
    > bad one comes up, the address shown at the bottom of the screen always
    > starts with "BNUX"
    >
    > All of the offending sites, have exactly the same graphic layout, even to
    > the colours.
    >
    > At the same time, her OE packed up and she cannot send or receive.
    >
    > We have scanned with Norton and with Windows Defender, but cannot find
    > anything.
    >
    > Any suggestions please? What is it?
    >
    > John

    I doubt it has anything to do with IE period. Install & run Ad-Aware
    and Spybot S&D. $5 sez that you've been infected
    Alan, Dec 3, 2006