    somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    this. Thanks for any input.
    Slim, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Slim

    beenthere Guest

    "Slim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running Windows
    > XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive (F:)
    > became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself does not
    > contain any vital information and I would not mind losing the data at
    > all. I don't necessarily need to back up the files.
    >
    > However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I
    > somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    > someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    > this. Thanks for any input.

    If XP can still see the drive.. Rt\click on it, Go to
    Properties\Tools\Check Now. Tick Automatically fix file sys. errors,
    and see what happens.
    You`ve got nothing to lose.
    beenthere, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Slim

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:04:10 +0100, Slim wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running Windows
    > XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive (F:)
    > became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself does not
    > contain any vital information and I would not mind losing the data at
    > all. I don't necessarily need to back up the files.
    >
    > However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I
    > somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    > someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    > this. Thanks for any input.

    Define 'corrupted'. If it's registering as 'RAW' , then it's just a FAT (File
    Allocation Table) issue (i.e. the FAT is corrupt and not reading/finding any
    files on the drive). If this is the case, and you really don't mind losing
    the data, simply right-clicking on the offending unit and selecting 'format'
    should restore it to PWO.

    If, however, the unit's making funny noises (grinding, grating, head
    thrashing) then it's probably gone TU and salvaging probably isn't possible.

    So, what is it - scenario 1 or scenario 2?
    Margolotta, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Slim

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 06:04:10 -0700, Slim wrote:

    > I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running Windows
    > XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive (F:) became
    > corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself does not contain any
    > vital information and I would not mind losing the data at all. I don't
    > necessarily need to back up the files.
    >
    > However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I somehow
    > just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can someone take
    > me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform this. Thanks for
    > any input.

    Unless the drive has physical defects, the corruption occurs on the
    software partition. If you can, delete and recreate the partition then
    format it.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2006
  5. Slim enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running
    > Windows
    > XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive (F:)
    > became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself does not
    > contain any vital information and I would not mind losing the data at
    > all. I don't necessarily need to back up the files.

    You may - as others already suggested - run a filesystem check on it
    first. Next, go to the manufacturors website and download the
    appropriate diagnosis floppy. Boot from it and check out.

    > However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I
    > somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    > someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    > this. Thanks for any input.

    I don't know which kind of "corruption" or which tool did tell you it
    is, or if you see funny filenames and inaccessible folders, or just
    nothing.
    Walter Mautner, Aug 19, 2006
  6. Slim

    Slim Guest

    When I try to access the F: drive from my computer, it would say that
    it is inaccessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    Under properties, file system is listed as RAW. There are zero GB in
    both the free and used space. I tried the error-checking tool but it
    doesn't seem to do anthing at all after I clicked start.

    After not getting any response with the error-checking, I tried to
    format the drive but that failed as well.

    Thank you for your help.

    Slim, Aug 19, 2006
  7. Slim

    ProfGene Guest

    Slim wrote:
    > I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running Windows
    > XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive (F:)
    > became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself does not
    > contain any vital information and I would not mind losing the data at
    > all. I don't necessarily need to back up the files.
    >
    > However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I
    > somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    > someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    > this. Thanks for any input.

    Before you reformat try letting the drive checker that XP has scan
    through the drive and see what it can fix, then try running scandisk and
    defrag. If non of that works then try reformatting but you will have to
    have the drivers for your video card, your USB ports, your sound, and
    any other hardware that you have attatched to your system. You will also
    need to install all of the program that you use after you reinstall
    Windows as well as setting up your Internet connection again. Have all
    of the necessary disks ready.
    ProfGene, Aug 20, 2006
  8. Slim

    Plato Guest

    Slim wrote:

    > XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive (F:)
    > became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself does not

    Well. All in all. One should have their most important data also burned
    to "burn once" cds as a backup.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 20, 2006
  9. Slim

    DanR Guest

    ProfGene wrote:
    > Slim wrote:
    >> I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running
    >> Windows XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage drive
    >> (F:) became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself
    >> does not contain any vital information and I would not mind losing
    >> the data at all. I don't necessarily need to back up the files.
    >>
    >> However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I
    >> somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    >> someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    >> this. Thanks for any input.
    >>

    > Before you reformat try letting the drive checker that XP has scan
    > through the drive and see what it can fix, then try running scandisk
    > and defrag. If non of that works then try reformatting but you will
    > have to have the drivers for your video card, your USB ports, your
    > sound, and any other hardware that you have attatched to your system.
    > You will also need to install all of the program that you use after
    > you reinstall Windows as well as setting up your Internet connection
    > again. Have all of the necessary disks ready.

    It's drive F:/
    DanR, Aug 20, 2006
  10. Slim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    DanR wrote:
    > ProfGene wrote:
    >> Slim wrote:
    >>> I apologize for being computer illiterate. I have a PC running
    >>> Windows XP. I'm not sure what happened recently but my storage
    >>> drive (F:) became corrupted and unreadable. The hard drive itself
    >>> does not contain any vital information and I would not mind losing
    >>> the data at all. I don't necessarily need to back up the files.
    >>>
    >>> However, does a corrupted HD means it is completely lost or can I
    >>> somehow just reformat the HD and use it again. If salvageable, can
    >>> someone take me thru a quick step-by-step instruction on how perform
    >>> this. Thanks for any input.
    >>>

    >> Before you reformat try letting the drive checker that XP has scan
    >> through the drive and see what it can fix, then try running scandisk
    >> and defrag. If non of that works then try reformatting but you will
    >> have to have the drivers for your video card, your USB ports, your
    >> sound, and any other hardware that you have attatched to your system.
    >> You will also need to install all of the program that you use after
    >> you reinstall Windows as well as setting up your Internet connection
    >> again. Have all of the necessary disks ready.

    > It's drive F:/

    Ignore the fake professor - he's inept, dense, and totally useless.

    What tools have you tried? The HD manufacturer probably makes a utility
    program that will test the hardware. You find out what brand drive you have,
    then go to their website and download the diagnostics. If you tell us what
    brand drive, we can possibly help further with this option.

    Windows has chkdsk that can check the file system. You said in another post
    that you tried the "error checking" from Windows - I'm guessing you
    right-clicked the drive and found that on the "Tools" tab. I ususally do
    this from a command prompt instead. Click Start, Run, type in CMD and press
    enter. When you get the cmd window, after the cursor, type CHKDSK F: /F and
    press enter.

    If the drive is okay, then you can reformat and keep using the drive. And
    even if CHKDSK returns errors, you can still format the drive if the
    physical hardware test is okay.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 20, 2006
  11. Slim

    Slim Guest

    Sorry for the delay and thanks for all the response. I did try the
    chkdsk command and this is the message I get:

    The type of file system is NTFS.
    Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

    Can somebody tell me what this means. Thanks and I appreciate all the
    input.

    Slim, Aug 24, 2006
  12. Slim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Slim wrote:
    > Sorry for the delay and thanks for all the response. I did try the
    > chkdsk command and this is the message I get:
    >
    > The type of file system is NTFS.
    > Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.
    >
    > Can somebody tell me what this means. Thanks and I appreciate all the
    > input.

    If you want your data back, that's not good. The reading I've done provides
    a lot of suggestions, but few cures.

    Here's one guy (Gizmo) who said he had success:

    "After some hard days of work looking for a software that could solve it I
    tried: "GetDataBackForNTFS" (Yes, that is the softwares name!).
    After trying sevral softwares the above mentioned software was the only one
    that could restore the drive. I can say that I lost NOTHING restoring the
    drive.."

    And I found the same comment in another post as well. All other data
    recovery software those guys tried failed to work.

    This is only important if you want to recover files. Here's a link:
    http://www.runtime.org/

    If you still don't care about the data, then the drive can be set up from
    scratch and should be fine, but EITHER WAY, it is VERY important to get the
    drive manufacturer's diagnostics and run them before you start putting the
    drive back into use.

    Did you determine what brand the drive is? Answer that question first, then
    someone should be able to assist you with the correct web link for the
    diagnostics you need.

    After that, a "step-by-step" for erasing, partitioning and formating the
    drive can be provided.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 24, 2006