    the data.
    Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
    this data. Thanks

    Zinzan, Aug 22, 2004

  2. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:17:32 +0000 (UTC), "Zinzan"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP. It
    >does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its unformatted and wants
    >to format it. I can however, using demo versions of disk recovery tools, see
    >all the data on the drive. The demo versions will not allow me to recover
    >the data.
    >Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
    >this data. Thanks

    Have a look at Knoppix if you have a CD burner. This site gives
    details on how to recover data with it;

    http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

    Shane Matthews, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Zinzan

    DC Guest

    Zinzan wrote:
    > I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP. It
    > does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its unformatted and wants
    > to format it. I can however, using demo versions of disk recovery tools, see
    > all the data on the drive. The demo versions will not allow me to recover
    > the data.
    > Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
    > this data. Thanks

    Yes -- Knoppix! If you have a seperate burner, you can burn directly from
    Knoppix.

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    Rescue Info:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqRescue
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

    More Info:
    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixForNewbies
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/

    There is this, also, but I've not tried it:
    http://www.sysresccd.org/index.en.php

    HTH

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 22, 2004
  4. On that special day, Zinzan, () said...

    > Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to recover
    > this data. Thanks

    Testdisk might be the thing you need

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

    When I posted this four days ago in a German newsgroup, a poster
    complained that he should have known earlier of that program, so that he
    would have had less hassle, when he had to recover something with cat
    and dd.

    Gabriele Neukam

    --
    Ah, Information. A good, too valuable these days, to give it away, just
    so, at no cost.

    Gabriele Neukam, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Zinzan

    dadiOH Guest

    Zinzan wrote:
    > I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows
    > XP. It does show as a disk drive but Windows XP tells me its
    > unformatted and wants to format it. I can however, using demo
    > versions of disk recovery tools, see all the data on the drive. The
    > demo versions will not allow me to recover the data.
    > Is there any free disk utilities available that will allow me to
    > recover this data. Thanks

    Check out Drive Rescue
    http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/driverescue19d.html

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Aug 22, 2004
  6. Zinzan

    Ben A Gozar Guest

    "Zinzan" <> wrote in

    > I have a corrupted hard drive that is inaccessible within Windows XP.
    > It does show as a disk drive but Windows XP...

    If you have another hd you can install linux and recover most of your data
    files, or as first reply saidd, Knoppix from a cd.

    Virus program won't help?

    Ben A Gozar, Aug 23, 2004
  7. try going to www.iolo.com and downloading system mechanic proffessional if
    you can get to another computer then burn it to a CD and use the
    drivescrubber utility this should ressolve it for you

    David Hemingsley, Sep 16, 2004