corrupted files

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I downloaded the 120 day trial version:

    WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso

    Having created a 30G partition, burnt a bootable image on a CD (using Ultra
    ISO 8) and proceeded to install, booting from the CD:

    attempt 1. During the installation wmsvbvm60.dll could not be copied,
    although it was on the cd in the \i386 folder.

    attempt 2. During bootup the following error (with a blue background) is
    displayed:

    STOP C0000221 Unknown Hard Error
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

    After another reboot an error message was prompted while the boot cd was

    Any ideas, please?

    Jon, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Did you verify the download as well as the burn? Have you cleaned the drive?
    Did you install to a dedicated partition?

    30Gig, should be just about enough, I think - but it certainly isn't a whole
    lot! Check the assigned boot-order in the BIOS, and check that you are not
    installing to a SATA drive while having an IDE HD attached!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Jon

    Zootal Guest

    I had almost identical problems, specifically the "Unknown Hard Error", and
    the ntldr is corrupt problem. I suspected a bad burn of the CD, as burning
    another CD seemed to fix the problem. I also had similar problems installing
    XP32 on another partition, so I could not blame any of this on XP64 itself.

    I have also noticed that if I boot with any usb flash drives (zip drives,
    thumb drives, etc) plugged, I sometimes get various boot errors, including
    corrupt ntldr, but interesting enough they are not consistent. Removing the
    usb drive or just unplugging my usb hubs always fixes it and lets XP boot.

    Zootal, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Corrupted burn or corrupted download. It's easier to re-burn, so start
    there.

    Reduce the burn speed to no more than 1/2 maximum speed. And turn on Verify.
    (if your burn product doesn't support a verify pass, I recommend getting one
    that does. )

    If that doesn't resolve it, time for a new download.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Perhaps the result of a pending write that didn't get done.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 9, 2008
  6. Have you checked if your driveletters move around when you insert external
    drives? And specifically, when there is trouble booting? Remember that in
    the early phase of booting, SATA is ATA but enumerated after the IDE
    sockets, inserting additional IDE drives should be expected to be enumerated
    before any bootable SATA drive - perhaps!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 9, 2008
  7. Jon

    John Barnes Guest

    or possibly the BIOS is set to boot from a removable device first.

    John Barnes, Jan 12, 2008
  8. Jon

    Zootal Guest

    No, I checked that. What it sometimes done is start to load XP64, and then
    stop before the desktop gets displayed. I get a black screen with a mouse
    pointer, and a locked up computer. Removing all the usb drives always fixes
    this. I boot, plug them back in, and we're good to go until next week when
    it does it again. I also get other intermittent hard locks immediatly after
    booting. I usually let it sit for 5 minutes before I do anything. If it runs
    that long, it never locks up. The first few minutes after boot - not very
    reliable. I thought of a heating issue, where something warms up, and as it
    expands breaks a connection somewhere causing failure. <shrug>.

    Zootal, Jan 12, 2008
  9. Have you looked at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600 on the chance
    that the rollup may address this issue?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 12, 2008
  10. Jon

    Zootal Guest

    That looks like Vista only, but I wonder how much of also applies to XP? I
    notice that one of the issues is a long time to resume from a suspend state.
    I wonder what they mean by "a long time"? I've long since given up trying to
    get my machines to reliably suspend/hibernate, and then resume. 20% do it
    fine, the reset never resume. Maybe I should try it again, but be sure to
    wait "a long time"?

    Zootal, Jan 13, 2008
  11. Yeah, I caught my mistake right after I posted and tried to cancel the
    message before it downloaded to anybody. Sorry about that.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 13, 2008