    prevent it!

    Thanks,
    BR549
    BR549, Apr 12, 2006

  2. BR549

    beenthere Guest

    "BR549" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a 40G USB external HD (FAT32) I haven't accessed in awhile.
    > Today I hooked it up (WIN XP Home SP2) and it showed up in My Computer,
    > but the stated capacity was something like 7G and all the files/folder
    > names were weird characters. I couldn't open any of the files. I ran
    > scandisk but ended up with a bunch of chk files I didn't know what to
    > do with. So I reformatted the drive in NFTS. I'm wondering what could
    > have caused the file corruption and what I should do in the future to
    > prevent it!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > BR549

    Always disconnect your ext. USB devices, using the `safely remove`
    icon in the systray.
    It`s probable that you just unplugged, or switched off the drive
    without doing that.
    I always use`safely remove` before I shut down my system.
    And touch wood.....
    beenthere, Apr 12, 2006

  3. BR549

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:JEb%f.4054$,
    beenthere spewed forth:
    > "BR549" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a 40G USB external HD (FAT32) I haven't accessed in awhile.
    >> Today I hooked it up (WIN XP Home SP2) and it showed up in My
    >> Computer, but the stated capacity was something like 7G and all the
    >> files/folder names were weird characters. I couldn't open any of
    >> the files. I ran scandisk but ended up with a bunch of chk files I
    >> didn't know what to do with. So I reformatted the drive in NFTS. I'm
    >> wondering what could have caused the file corruption and what I
    >> should do in the future to prevent it!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> BR549
    >>

    > Always disconnect your ext. USB devices, using the `safely remove`
    > icon in the systray.
    > It`s probable that you just unplugged, or switched off the drive
    > without doing that.
    > I always use`safely remove` before I shut down my system.
    > And touch wood.....

    Especially FAT32 drives, IMO. Windows XP turns of write cachings
    automatically for external USB drives, so it shouldn't be a problem, but
    better safe than sorry...

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 12, 2006
  4. BR549

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:13:51 -0700, BR549 wrote:

    > Subject: corrupted files on external hard drive
    > From: "BR549" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 12 Apr 2006 10:13:51 -0700
    >
    > I have a 40G USB external HD (FAT32) I haven't accessed in awhile.
    > Today I hooked it up (WIN XP Home SP2) and it showed up in My Computer,
    > but the stated capacity was something like 7G and all the files/folder
    > names were weird characters. I couldn't open any of the files. I ran
    > scandisk but ended up with a bunch of chk files I didn't know what to
    > do with. So I reformatted the drive in NFTS. I'm wondering what could
    > have caused the file corruption and what I should do in the future to
    > prevent it!

    The hard drive Fairy sometimes does these things. Storing your external
    drives under your pillow can keep him away.

    Meat Plow, Apr 13, 2006