Corrupt xp, can't get anywhere.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by CSE, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:41:15 -0700, Phstpok <>
    wrote:

    >Built a box for a friend a month ago. XP Pro, AMD, 512mb etc etc.
    >
    >Now it won't boot past the xp splash scrteen, except very occaissionaly
    >when using last known good configuration.
    >
    >Put disk in my box as slave, read it ok.
    >Put puppy linux on cd in new box, no change.
    >Switched memory sticks left right and all directions, no change.
    >Changed ide channel, no change.
    >Tried re-installing xp, hoping to get to recovery console and fixmbr,
    >wouldn't get that far.
    >Got an 98 boot disk and fdisk /mbr (fat32), no change.
    >Ran scandisk, no problems with bad sectors etc.
    >Ran Nortons, Sophos in safe mode command prompt, ad-aware, spybot-sd,
    >nothing.
    >
    >So, memory ok, motherboard ok, power supply ok, windows fscked.
    >
    >Any ideas before I just format and start from scratch? Means I'll have
    >to put the dd into my box again and copy all her docs, mail etc.
    >
    >Rob

    Do Repair Install.

    CSE, Apr 21, 2005

  2. CSE

    Tim Guest

    I'd start by going into the bios and checking voltages and CPU temp. Make
    sure the voltages are within 5% if not 3%.

    Download and run memtest86 from memtest86.org and make sure you get NO
    errors. 1 error will break an OS. Follow the instructions on the web site to
    make a boot floppy (or CD).

    Consider following the Clear CMOS procedure as detailed in the motherboard
    manual - make sure the system is not plugged into the mains at the time. Go
    back into the BIOS and check all settings. Change only what needs to change.

    Repeat the memtest86 process if needs be.

    If problems persist, and if you have more than 1 memory stick, remove all
    but 1 and ensure it is in the recommended slot - check the motherboard
    manual and check what it has to say about valid combinations of memory
    types, slots, and FSB settings. Often you will find that as more memory is
    added BIOS RAM timings have to be slowed down and sometimes FSB dropped as
    well.

    If you reinstall XP, make sure you are not connected to the internet while
    it is being installed and until SP2 is installed - unless you are behind a
    quality firewall.

    Running a repair install is a valid choice for getting XP back up and
    running. It will revert the system to the service pack state of the CD you
    use for the repair. You will need to reapply service packs, critical
    updates, and reinstall chipset drivers. You may need to re-activate XP. If
    you need to supply any RAID drivers during XP install, do not forget to do
    so during the Repair via F6. Remember, press F6 early and Often, keep the
    driver floppy in the drive until the system reboots - it is sometimes read
    twice.

    If you get the system back up, download and run Prime95 from mersenne.org
    and use it as a CPU soak test. CPU temps will go to maximum so run a CPU
    temp monitoring utility while you run this.

    If you are getting spontaneous reboots, the STOP codes will be in the event
    log (Administrative Tools / Event Log / System). You can turn off automatic
    restart in Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery - untick
    Auto Restart... this will enable you to see the BSOD screen if that is an
    issue.

    - Tim

    Tim, Apr 21, 2005

  3. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:51:13 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >I'd start by going into the bios and checking voltages and CPU temp. Make
    >sure the voltages are within 5% if not 3%.
    >
    >Download and run memtest86 from memtest86.org and make sure you get NO
    >errors. 1 error will break an OS. Follow the instructions on the web site to
    >make a boot floppy (or CD).
    >
    >Consider following the Clear CMOS procedure as detailed in the motherboard
    >manual - make sure the system is not plugged into the mains at the time. Go
    >back into the BIOS and check all settings. Change only what needs to change.
    >
    >Repeat the memtest86 process if needs be.
    >
    >If problems persist, and if you have more than 1 memory stick, remove all
    >but 1 and ensure it is in the recommended slot - check the motherboard
    >manual and check what it has to say about valid combinations of memory
    >types, slots, and FSB settings. Often you will find that as more memory is
    >added BIOS RAM timings have to be slowed down and sometimes FSB dropped as
    >well.
    >
    >If you reinstall XP, make sure you are not connected to the internet while
    >it is being installed and until SP2 is installed - unless you are behind a
    >quality firewall.
    >
    >Running a repair install is a valid choice for getting XP back up and
    >running. It will revert the system to the service pack state of the CD you
    >use for the repair. You will need to reapply service packs, critical
    >updates, and reinstall chipset drivers. You may need to re-activate XP. If
    >you need to supply any RAID drivers during XP install, do not forget to do
    >so during the Repair via F6. Remember, press F6 early and Often, keep the
    >driver floppy in the drive until the system reboots - it is sometimes read
    >twice.

    It seems to keep the Nvidia Drivers and all my Printer and Net settings, all
    it does is goes back to the DX? and all the Updates..

    CSE, Apr 22, 2005
  4. CSE

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:18:19 -0700, Phstpok <>
    wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:41:15 -0700, Phstpok <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Built a box for a friend a month ago. XP Pro, AMD, 512mb etc etc.
    >>>
    >>>Now it won't boot past the xp splash scrteen, except very occaissionaly
    >>>when using last known good configuration.
    >>>
    >>>Put disk in my box as slave, read it ok.
    >>>Put puppy linux on cd in new box, no change.
    >>>Switched memory sticks left right and all directions, no change.
    >>>Changed ide channel, no change.
    >>>Tried re-installing xp, hoping to get to recovery console and fixmbr,
    >>>wouldn't get that far.
    >>>Got an 98 boot disk and fdisk /mbr (fat32), no change.
    >>>Ran scandisk, no problems with bad sectors etc.
    >>>Ran Nortons, Sophos in safe mode command prompt, ad-aware, spybot-sd,
    >>>nothing.
    >>>
    >>>So, memory ok, motherboard ok, power supply ok, windows fscked.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas before I just format and start from scratch? Means I'll have
    >>>to put the dd into my box again and copy all her docs, mail etc.
    >>>
    >>>Rob

    >> Do Repair Install.
    >>

    >Can't even get that far. Just keeps rebooting.
    >
    >Burning all her data now, so format re-install happening.
    >
    >Rob

    The Repair has to be done from the bootable CD..

    CSE, Apr 22, 2005
  5. CSE

    Phstpok Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > The Repair has to be done from the bootable CD..

    Twas the motherboard, ide controller fscked.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Apr 22, 2005
  6. CSE

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Phstpok <> wrote in news:d48vkm$k43$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > Means I'll have
    > to put the dd into my box again and copy all her docs, mail etc.

    Just do it.

    Teach the end user how to "immunize"
    Javacools, etc.

    When the HDD was in your box did you scan it for crap? You could use
    Housecall and Pestpatrol's free scans. Ewido has a free scan too, once you
    register.
    My current favorite free AV is Antivir.
    just some ideas for you...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 22, 2005
  7. CSE

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:28:34 +1200, Phstpok wrote:

    > Twas the motherboard, ide controller fscked.

    Makes sense - not even win XP install program was happy with it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The world is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel." -- Horace Walpole

    Note: All my comments are copyright 22/04/2005 9:52:31 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 22, 2005
  8. On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:03:09 -0700, Phstpok
    <> wrote:

    >Cheers but already doing the deed. I had checked temps etc and well
    >below warning mark. Tried different combos of ram, including my own
    >which I know are good.
    >
    >Not really a big problem. I've got xp and sp2 slipstreamed into one boot
    >disk, so just using w98 boot disk to format and going from there. Tried
    >a straight new install with xp, but crashed after first reboot.

    So you run winnt.exe?
    this will eventually start the 32 bit setup after copying stuff to
    your HDD and rebooting
    I don't see how it is going to make any difference

    FreedomChooser, Apr 22, 2005
  9. On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:28:34 +1200, Phstpok
    <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >

    >> The Repair has to be done from the bootable CD..
    >>

    >Twas the motherboard, ide controller fscked.

    there are some stop codes that correspond to stuffed bootdisks or the
    equiv

    Not that you could start windows to find out what it had logged

    FreedomChooser, Apr 22, 2005
  10. CSE

    Phstpok Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Phstpok <> wrote in news:d48vkm$k43$1
    > @lust.ihug.co.nz:
    >

    >> Means I'll have
    >>to put the dd into my box again and copy all her docs, mail etc.
    >>

    > Just do it.
    >
    > Teach the end user how to "immunize"
    > Javacools, etc.
    >
    > When the HDD was in your box did you scan it for crap? You could use
    > Housecall and Pestpatrol's free scans. Ewido has a free scan too, once you
    > register.
    > My current favorite free AV is Antivir.
    > just some ideas for you...

    Ide controller on motherboard dead.

    Scanned it with everything bar an mri.

    I use antivir as well, better than grisoft.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Apr 22, 2005
  12. CSE

    Phstpok Guest

    Phstpok, Apr 22, 2005
  13. CSE

    Phstpok Guest

    Tim wrote:
> [...]
    > Auto Restart... this will enable you to see the BSOD screen if that is an
    > issue.
    >

    > - Tim
    >

    > "Phstpok" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>CSE wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:41:15 -0700, Phstpok
    >>><>

    >>>Do Repair Install.
    >>>

    >>Can't even get that far. Just keeps rebooting.
    >>
    >>Burning all her data now, so format re-install happening.
    >>
    >>Rob

    Cheers but already doing the deed. I had checked temps etc and well
    below warning mark. Tried different combos of ram, including my own
    which I know are good.

    Not really a big problem. I've got xp and sp2 slipstreamed into one boot
    disk, so just using w98 boot disk to format and going from there. Tried
    a straight new install with xp, but crashed after first reboot.

    Luckily it is only a month old, so not too much stuff to save,

    Rob

    Phstpok, Apr 22, 2005
  14. CSE

    David Preece Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > Now it won't boot past the xp splash scrteen, except very occaissionaly
    > when using last known good configuration.

    Is the drive above 137GB? There's a "known" but unbelievably lame bug in
    XP where if you install on a partition over 137GB it just, sort of,
    shits itself. My solution was to blow the machine away (which sucked)
    and re-install on the bottom 120GB. The l33t way is to obtain a
    slipstreamed XP SP2 install from somewhere.

    Dave

    David Preece, Apr 23, 2005
  15. CSE

    Phstpok Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Phstpok wrote:
    >
    >> Now it won't boot past the xp splash scrteen, except very
    >> occaissionaly when using last known good configuration.

    > Is the drive above 137GB? There's a "known" but unbelievably lame bug in
    > XP where if you install on a partition over 137GB it just, sort of,
    > shits itself. My solution was to blow the machine away (which sucked)
    > and re-install on the bottom 120GB. The l33t way is to obtain a
    > slipstreamed XP SP2 install from somewhere.
    >
    > Dave

    40gig (she wanted an el cheapo mainly for net and a bit of office)

    Winfast K7S board, used a couple previously with no problems. Happens
    sometimes. Trouble is, bought in Auckland, so gonna be at least a week
    for a replacement.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Apr 23, 2005