Corrupt Q&A database, how do I fix?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all

    As mentioned in the subject I have a corrupt Q&A (Version 4) database that
    needs to be recovered.
    I've used the programs 'Recover' tool but that just bombs out and crashes
    the program itself.

    Regretfully there is no other uncorrupted copy that can be turned to less
    than 3 years old.

    (Yes there was a multi disk backup regime in place last time I visited some
    12 months ago.
    But of course an in house employee took over the maintenance in the meantime
    and decided floppy's were just too old fashioned.
    We'll just do a drag and drop to this second Hard drive overwriting the
    previous backup each day!!!!)

    So unless it can be fixed one poor young lass is up for days of data
    reentry.

    Any ideas please.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 12, 2005

  2. PC

    Impossible Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all
    >
    > As mentioned in the subject I have a corrupt Q&A (Version 4)
    > database that needs to be recovered.
    > I've used the programs 'Recover' tool but that just bombs out and
    > crashes the program itself.....

    Have a look here:

    http://www.quickanswer.com/corrupt.htm

    It seems to be a pretty through discussion of the problem and offers
    some recovery options you might not have considered.

    Good luck!

    Impossible, Oct 12, 2005

  3. PC

    PC Guest

    "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings all
    >>
    >> As mentioned in the subject I have a corrupt Q&A (Version 4) database
    >> that needs to be recovered.
    >> I've used the programs 'Recover' tool but that just bombs out and crashes
    >> the program itself.....

    > Have a look here:
    >
    > http://www.quickanswer.com/corrupt.htm
    >
    > It seems to be a pretty through discussion of the problem and offers some
    > recovery options you might not have considered.
    >
    > Good luck!

    Thank you so much for the lead. You sir/madam are a gem, a person of
    impecable lineage and knowledge.

    I followed your link and used the Qextract utility to pull the data out and
    restore to the 3 year old original design.

    Must admit I (politely) read the riot act to the office manager before I
    left about backup's.

    Again thank you for the lead it worked a treat.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 13, 2005