Corrupt laptop BIOS?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by adrianwb, May 8, 2007.

  1. adrianwb

    adrianwb Guest

    Hi all,
    I have a Tiny (rebranded Mitac 8375 from what I can figure out) laptop
    about 3 years old - Tiny having gone bust for the second time, but
    immaterial anyway as I'm living in Nepal so am about as qualified as
    anyone else here to fiddle with it! Had been
    having a few problems with powering it on if I had to hold the power
    button down to switch it off (in some circumstances) - it wouldn't
    power on again unless I would take out the main battery and put it in
    again. Didn't think much of it as it was an easy workaround and only
    happened occasionally.

    Main problem started after I had put in a new main battery (old one
    was only lasting 20-30 mins) - it charged up fine and I powered off
    for the night. Next day wouldn't boot - hanging during or even before
    POST - only way to power off was 5s on power button, main battery out,
    main battery in - made no difference whether I used old or new
    battery. I usually get just a blank screen with a flashing cursor and
    keyboard seems unresponsive - caps lock/num lock (most of the time)
    don't do anything, although if you put a cd in, the led comes on for a
    bit. I have taken the HD out and only one SODIMM (of the two that were
    in it), and have taken out the miniPCI wireless card to replace it
    with a handy card which displays the POST codes, and have been trying
    to get it to boot off CD.

    Sometimes I have managed to get it through POST and start to boot off
    CD but usually fails and displays garbage on the screen. The
    diagnostic card doesn't seem to display consistent codes and in any
    case I'm having trouble figuring out what they mean as they're not one
    of the main providers (Insyde MobilePro Bios 4.00.01 v1.07). Other
    thing is that if I try to go into the Bios setup by pressing F2, it
    tells me that it "can't open resource module. Press a key to continue"
    and when I do it hangs again with just the flashing cursor.

    Hence my feeling that the Bios is corrupt - I hope to be able to
    download a Bios file from the Mitac web site (mtc.mitacservice.com)
    and burn onto a bootable CD (don't have a floppy), but I'm not
    convinced that I'll be able to boot that far. A second opinion would
    be appreciated to help me decide whether it's worth trying to source a
    replacement mobo on ebay or just to give up on it and salvage (and
    hopefully sell) what I can from it.

    Thanks for any advice,
    Adrian

    Note: to email me, replace the first part of the email address (before
    the @) with my username (adrianwb).
    adrianwb, May 8, 2007

  2. adrianwb

    John Holmes Guest

    adrianwb "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi a

    <snip>

    > Note: to email me, replace the first part of the email address (before
    > the @) with my username (adrianwb).

    You should never ask people to answer your question by email in
    newsgroups. But you did, so:

    --
    Your mother was a hellish gypsy who used to laugh maniacally on a coca
    plantation near Bogota.
    John Holmes, May 8, 2007