    Is there any utility out there that can automatically fix such corrupted
    images?

    Kevin

    Kevin S, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Kevin S

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Kevin S" <> wrote in message
    news:417c161e$0$33618$...
    > Hi, I've been asked by some friends to try and recover digital photos from
    > their honeymoon. Sadly they've all somehow become corrupt, and although

    you
    > can see the image thumbnails, the pictures themselves won't open, or are
    > only partially displayed.
    >
    > Is there any utility out there that can automatically fix such corrupted
    > images?
    >
    > Kevin

    I recently erred big time when I "accidentally" deleted files and formatted
    my CF card before I fully transferred files to my hard drive. I looked at
    about twenty programs and finally found one called PC Inspector Smart
    Recovery. Not only did this program do everything I wanted, it was also
    free! There were plenty of websites looking for money ranging from $40 to
    $600 to provide you services that may or may not work. PCISR actually
    provided a bunch of file extensions that I could select to help it along.
    Now get this - it had .CR2 (Canon 20D Raw) extension! I selected it and
    presto, it started putting them in the specified directory in my hard drive!

    Go to http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm and hit
    download.

    Good luck and let us know if this works for you. I honestly can't
    understand why they provide this service for free.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Kevin S

    Linda_N Guest

    "Kevin S" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've been asked by some friends to try and recover digital photos from
    > their honeymoon. Sadly they've all somehow become corrupt, and although
    > you can see the image thumbnails, the pictures themselves won't open, or
    > are only partially displayed.
    >
    > Is there any utility out there that can automatically fix such corrupted
    > images?
    >
    > Kevin

    The Deluxe version of Corel Paint Shop Photo Album (awesome program for
    digital photography) includes the 'PhotoRecovery' software program. The
    whole package is $45 usd for download or $49 for the boxed version. I'd go
    with the boxed version because you get the Avery package, plus you can fill
    out the Avery card and they will send you a free CD Stomper and starter kit.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Kevin S

    Linda_N Guest

    here's the link:
    http://www.jasc.com/products/photoalbum/bonus.asp

    Corel Corporation owns it now, but the original company (Jasc Software
    Inc.,) web site is still used.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Kevin S

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <417c161e$0$33618$>, Kevin
    S <> writes
    >Hi, I've been asked by some friends to try and recover digital photos from
    >their honeymoon. Sadly they've all somehow become corrupt, and although you
    >can see the image thumbnails, the pictures themselves won't open, or are
    >only partially displayed.
    >
    >Is there any utility out there that can automatically fix such corrupted
    >images?

    If they are only slightly damaged then yes there are several utilities
    that can get back digicam JPEG images from corrupted media.

    One important golden rule though is never do anything that changes or
    modifies the original corrupted media. Always work on a copy - otherwise
    crucial evidence and information that would allow a better method to
    make a full recovery will be trashed by earlier naive attempts at
    "repair".

    (One well known brand of generic file recovery software does a
    particularly bad job on JPEG files)

    PhotoRescue is worth a try. It will show you first what it can recover
    and then when you register it will retrieve the files.

    If the images are irreplaceable and/or of commercial value then there
    are ways to recover something from even quite badly damaged JPEG files,
    but it gets progressively more expensive. Probably not cost effective
    for holiday snaps, but more useful for press photography.

    Please drop me a line privately if you run out of other options and
    still want to see if anything could be recovered.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Oct 25, 2004