    I have cleaned the disc and the dvd-player - but nothing helps.

    Thank,
    Ulf
    wotens, Oct 13, 2008

  2. wotens

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 13/10/2008 in message <#> wotens
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Is possible that the installation disc can 'degenerate' and end up being
    >useless?

    A CD/DVD can certainly get dirty or scratched. You can test it by trying
    to copy the whole contents to a HD and see if you get any error messages.

    >I have a installation disc of Windows XP Pro 64 and everytime time I
    >install the OS it ends up with the same problem: can't read file
    >ChkAcc.log -> please run Chkdisc. And after that the OS crashes and is,
    >more or less useless to work with.
    >I have cleaned the disc and the dvd-player - but nothing helps.

    I have that file in C:\Windows\Debug\UserMode - although it is empty. Can
    you create a file of that name using Notepad?

    XP Pro x64 is about the best memory checker in existence so it may be
    worth running Memtest and/or Prime95 to see if you have memory problems.
    Do you have 64 bit drivers for all your hardware, including the mainboard?

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
    Jeff Gaines, Oct 13, 2008

  3. wotens

    Mark H Guest

    CD-R / CD-RW shelf life is between 5 and 10 years.
    Yes, they do "degenerate."

    http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa13.htm

    Mark H, Oct 13, 2008
  4. The file name suggests it is unlikely to have been copied from the
    installation disk, but was created during the install.

    Since you have repeated the install more than once but still have the
    identical error, it is probable that the system memory is faulty at one of
    the addresses used to communicate with the file.

    Running Memtest is most likely to reveal the faulty component.

    Less likely is a defective hard disk, which would be identified by
    downloading and running its manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 13, 2008
  5. wotens

    wotens Guest

    Hi,
    Thank you for answer. I will run memtest.

    Ulf

    wotens, Oct 14, 2008