    could not be fixed. It said I should check windir\logs\cbs.log. I
    couldn't find it. Where would it be? Is there some place where these sort
    of logs are found?

    DZN, Apr 11, 2008

  2. DZN

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:36:16 GMT, DZN wrote:

    >I ran sfc /scannow after not being able to download Vista SP1. I got a

    You need SP1 that much?

    There are / were several issues around pre-requsites for SP1, means many
    disabled updates or so it appears can't get it to work if installed.

    >message that some files were corrupt and of those some were fixed and others
    >could not be fixed. It said I should check windir\logs\cbs.log. I

    Is that %windir% , you mean?

    >couldn't find it. Where would it be? Is there some place where these sort

    Couldn't find it how -
    a) in the given path
    b) tried a search for cbs.log

    >of logs are found?

    The given path.

    Try the MS Vista communities, the MS Vists blogs, searching
    www.google.com will find these for you.

    Using www.google.com will also help with cbs.log,

    Results 1 - 10 of about 10,700 for
    cbs.log
    .. (0.15 seconds)

    How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows ...
    The SFC.exe program writes the details of each verification operation
    and of each repair operation to the CBS.log file. Each SFC.exe program
    entry in this ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228 - Similar pages

    The above article confirms the path, %windir% is a variable that is the
    name of the folder Windows is installed in. This typically is 'windows'
    so the path becomes,

    windows\logs\cbs.log

    Open a command prompt and type

    set (press enter)

    Another 1 from www.google.com search for vista command prompt help ,
    takes one to the MS Vista info site

    <http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/81242f3c-c9bf-442c-a49d-e18b02f72e691033.mspx>

    Shorten that URL a bit, to
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/
    for other info.

    Click on the SP 1 link
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/windowsvistasp1.mspx

    You can check but aren't MS offering SP1 free help since it's been so
    messed up. You can't have missed all the news / gripes and comments ?

    www.google.com for vista sp1 support

    Help and Support
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages). Unlimited installation and
    compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18, 2009.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921>
    - Similar pages

    Information about Windows Vista Service Pack 1
    Microsoft provides free Setup and Compatibility support for customers
    who install Windows Vista SP1 on their existing Windows Vista computers.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330 - Similar pages
    More results from support.microsoft.com »

    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Support
    If you need technical support to resolve an issue that stemmed from
    installing Windows Vista Service Pack 1, you can contact Microsoft
    Support via Phone ...
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/cc295800.aspx - 5k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Apr 11, 2008

  3. DZN wrote:

    > I ran sfc /scannow after not being able to download Vista SP1. I got
    > a message that some files were corrupt and of those some were fixed
    > and others could not be fixed. It said I should check
    > windir\logs\cbs.log. I couldn't find it. Where would it be? Is
    > there some place where these sort of logs are found?

    I'll wager it really said: %windir%\logs\cbs.log

    where %windir% is most likely: C:\WINDOWS\

    Have you set your Explorer to show/display hidden files? Changed it so
    extensions are shown? Search your drive for files named: cbs.log

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 11, 2008
  4. DZN

    DZN Guest

    Thanks.

    FYI: Had to buy a new desktop computer (the one I wrote about was a
    laptop). I ordered it with Windows XP. It wasn't perfect but I've had
    nothing but problems with Vista.

    DZN, Apr 11, 2008
  5. DZN

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:09:40 GMT, DZN wrote:

    >Thanks.
    >
    >FYI: Had to buy a new desktop computer (the one I wrote about was a
    >laptop). I ordered it with Windows XP. It wasn't perfect but I've had
    >nothing but problems with Vista.

    Top posting this case okay, not using snip and reposting the other 95
    lines not so smart :)

    >> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:36:16 GMT, DZN wrote:
    >>
    >>>I ran sfc /scannow after not being able to download Vista SP1. I got a

    >> You need SP1 that much?
    >>
    >> There are / were several issues around pre-requsites for SP1, means many
    >> disabled updates or so it appears can't get it to work if installed.
    >>
    >>>message that some files were corrupt and of those some were fixed and
    >>>others
    >>>could not be fixed. It said I should check windir\logs\cbs.log. I

    >> Is that %windir% , you mean?

    <snip>
    >> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Support
    >> If you need technical support to resolve an issue that stemmed from
    >> installing Windows Vista Service Pack 1, you can contact Microsoft
    >> Support via Phone ...
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/cc295800.aspx - 5k -
    >> Cached - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Apr 13, 2008
  6. DZN

    dusk

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    FIGURED OUT CBS.LOG PROBLEM and its ADOBE

    So I have been dealing with the same problems with sfc /scannow and getting the cbs.log error message. Microsoft fixed it so I could download SP1 but it still gave me error messages with certain programs. My frustration was with Quickbooks which never opened up and then I figured out the problem. I wasnt able to open up adobe pdfs without an error messages that I needed to open another adobe application which was strange and never happened before.
    So what I did was delete some of the latest downloads from Adobe within the last few weeks and PRESTO quickbooks opened. I didnt have to roll back anything in Vista since it wasnt the problem it was an ADOBE DOWNLOAD. As I recalled quickbooks uses some sort of adobe flash in the beginning of the program and I would assume that other problems would be fixed by this .

    dusk, May 12, 2008