corrupt directory errors

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Vector Newman, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. I have my mp3's on my H drive ( I have 4 drives ).

    I have now been getting errors when I try to add another file to either
    Winamp/iTunes/QCD player etc; I get the following pop up error message:

    H:\ is not accessible

    The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

    Now, I see I have an H:\(L:)L drive and an H:/(H:) drive. Both having what
    appears to be the same files/folders in them. So, upon getting the error
    message for H I will then select the H:\(L:) drive and select that file
    which works. Weird. Now however, I am getting the error for BOTH of these
    drives. I also see the yellow triangle appear in the taskbar in the lower
    right corner and give me the pop-up error "Run chdsk utility...corrupt file"
    or something along those lines.

    I have chkdsk run at startup each time. Is there a way to fix this
    permanently? Without a complete reinstall of XP Pro? I mean, the files are
    there....usually but, I am concerned about this. I don't want to lose my
    enties collection ( despite the backups ). Any free utility that can repair
    this? I have never had errors like this before and am a bit lost
    here.....could use any help.

    Much appreciated.

    --
    Vector Newman

    **It may be great to be king, but you're never safe on the throne.
    Just ask Elvis.

    Vector Newman, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Vector Newman

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Vector Newman" <> wrote in

    > there....usually but, I am concerned about this. I don't want to lose
    > my enties collection ( despite the backups ). Any free utility that
    > can repair this? I have never had errors like this before and am a bit
    > lost here.....could use any help.

    Are you running chkdsk on the drive that has errors? You shouldn't need to
    reboot for this, open a command prompt and type:
    chkdsk /x h:

    Also, it is /really/ not normal to have H:\(L:) and H:\, did you assign
    this drive two drive letters somehow with disk manager? Either way, that's
    pretty messed up and definitely not advisable, and may be the cause of the
    errors to start with.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)