    Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have any
    suggestion or experience with this??

    Thanks.

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006

  2. stevo

    Bob Williams Guest

    stevo wrote:
    > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt. I
    > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >
    > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have any
    > suggestion or experience with this??
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do the pictures display properly in the camera?
    If yes, it is not the card or the camera.

    *Don't format the card in the computer. Just format it in the camera.
    *If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a different card reader.
    They often get finicky after a while.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 4, 2006

  3. stevo

    Martin Brown Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > stevo wrote:
    > > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt. I

    How long had it worked for before that? Do any other of your CF cards
    fail?
    In what way and when does it come up corrupt?

    > > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    > > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    > > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    > > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    > >
    > > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have any
    > > suggestion or experience with this??

    It could be any of these, even a combination or it could be user error.
    Mishandling CF cards by ejecting them when a the card is being accessed
    is one common cause of corruption.

    If the camera comes with a USB cable then mounting it as a drive to
    read the images directly will take the card reader out of the loop
    (some do misbehave with GB or larger cards).

    > Do the pictures display properly in the camera?
    > If yes, it is not the card or the camera.

    Not true. Most cameras only display the toy preview image from the JPEG
    header on their LCD and that can be OK even when the main JPEG image
    data is fubar.

    > *Don't format the card in the computer. Just format it in the camera.
    > *If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a different card reader.
    > They often get finicky after a while.

    Certainly formatting the card in the camera will eliminate the PC
    drivers and card reader.

    Trying the CF card in another PC and card reader might shed some light
    too.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Oct 4, 2006
  4. stevo

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "stevo" <> wrote in message
    > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt.
    > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >
    > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have
    > any
    > suggestion or experience with this??
    >
    > Thanks.

    If the card is defective, Lexar has a lifetime warranty on some of their
    cards.
    http://lexar.com/support/warranty.html

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 4, 2006
  5. stevo

    POHB Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:
    > > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have
    > > any suggestion or experience with this??
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > If the card is defective, Lexar has a lifetime warranty on some of their
    > cards.

    Do you have another card? If not then buy or borrow one.
    Does the other card have the same problem? If not then chuck the flaky
    one away.
    You can get 1GB CF cards for 10 quid now, it isn't worth the effort or
    risk of losing pictures to persevere with a dodgy one.

    POHB, Oct 4, 2006
  6. stevo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >stevo wrote:
    >
    > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt. I
    > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >
    > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have any
    > suggestion or experience with this??

    -
    Last year there was a problem with Lexar 80x cards and two Canon dSLRs
    losing images in the buffer under certain conditions -- shooting
    RAW+jpeg and pushing 'display' while the buffer contained images not
    yet written to the card, causing the images to not get written ... it
    took a while to track down exactly what the problem was but eventually
    they figured it out and Canon released new firmware to fix it. So it
    could be some subtle combination of camera firmware, specific card and
    mode that's screwing you up as well.

    As Bill C already mentioned Lexar has a lifetime replacement warranty
    on many of their cards so I'd contact them and see if they will replace
    it.

    Here's a link to the problem I mentioned last year with the Lexar 80x
    and two Canon cameras, one of which I own ... which is why the last
    half dozen or so cards I've purchased have been SanDisks ...
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexaralert.asp

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 4, 2006
  7. stevo

    Marcin Guest

    Preview the photos using camera display.
    If you can see all the photos then check:
    1. hard discs (errors)
    2. the voltages of the mainboard your computer (eg. using "speedfan").

    Marcin Gorgolewski
    www.mybestphotos.batcave.net

    U¿ytkownik "stevo" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

    Marcin, Oct 4, 2006
  8. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> stevo wrote:
    >> > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up
    >> > curropt. I

    > How long had it worked for before that? Do any other of your CF cards
    > fail?

    It's the only card I have, but it worked for 4 months before it started
    acting up.
    > In what way and when does it come up corrupt?

    Simply says, "can not read, card corrupt."

    >> > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    >> > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel
    >> > XT).
    >> > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times.
    >> > It's
    >> > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >> >
    >> > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone
    >> > have any
    >> > suggestion or experience with this??

    > It could be any of these, even a combination or it could be user error.
    > Mishandling CF cards by ejecting them when a the card is being accessed
    > is one common cause of corruption.

    I am careful about this. But I had originally considered it.

    > If the camera comes with a USB cable then mounting it as a drive to
    > read the images directly will take the card reader out of the loop
    > (some do misbehave with GB or larger cards).
    >>
    >> Do the pictures display properly in the camera?

    Yes, but once it comes up corrupt in the card reader, it no longer works in
    the camera. So I have to reformat it :(

    >> If yes, it is not the card or the camera.

    > Not true. Most cameras only display the toy preview image from the JPEG
    > header on their LCD and that can be OK even when the main JPEG image
    > data is fubar.
    >>
    >> *Don't format the card in the computer. Just format it in the camera.
    >> *If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a different card reader.

    I think I will buy a new card reader... this may be the most inexpensive
    approach for what will most likely be a process of elimination.

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006
  9. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "POHB" <> wrote in message
    > Bill Crocker wrote:
    >> > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone
    >> > have
    >> > any suggestion or experience with this??
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

    >> If the card is defective, Lexar has a lifetime warranty on some of their
    >> cards.

    > Do you have another card? If not then buy or borrow one.
    > Does the other card have the same problem? If not then chuck the flaky
    > one away.
    > You can get 1GB CF cards for 10 quid now, it isn't worth the effort or
    > risk of losing pictures to persevere with a dodgy one.

    Great suggestion. I will try a new card and see if the problem persist. I
    currently only have one card (I know hard to believe).

    If it is a card reader or camera problem, I hope it doesn't kill the cards
    too. (?)

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006
  10. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >stevo wrote:
    >>
    >> So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up
    >> curropt. I
    >> quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    >> reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel
    >> XT).
    >> But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    >> f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >>
    >> Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have
    >> any
    >> suggestion or experience with this??

    > -
    > Last year there was a problem with Lexar 80x cards and two Canon dSLRs
    > losing images in the buffer under certain conditions -- shooting
    > RAW+jpeg and pushing 'display' while the buffer contained images not
    > yet written to the card, causing the images to not get written ... it
    > took a while to track down exactly what the problem was but eventually
    > they figured it out and Canon released new firmware to fix it. So it
    > could be some subtle combination of camera firmware, specific card and
    > mode that's screwing you up as well.
    >
    > As Bill C already mentioned Lexar has a lifetime replacement warranty
    > on many of their cards so I'd contact them and see if they will replace
    > it.
    >
    > Here's a link to the problem I mentioned last year with the Lexar 80x
    > and two Canon cameras, one of which I own ... which is why the last
    > half dozen or so cards I've purchased have been SanDisks ...
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexaralert.asp
    >
    > Bill

    I have a 40x Lexar and I think the latest firmware. But thanks for the link.
    I think my next card will be a SanDisks too.

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006
  11. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "stevo" <> wrote in message
    > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt.
    > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >
    > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have
    > any
    > suggestion or experience with this??
    >
    > Thanks.

    Holy ****, I just lost a days worth a spot news photo's. Shit, I can't
    believe this. All gone. Even the card recovery program can't get them. Holy
    ****. This is hell.

    I have got to find out what is wrong, I can't risk this any more.

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006
  12. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "Marcin" <> wrote in message
    > Preview the photos using camera display.
    > If you can see all the photos then check:
    > 1. hard discs (errors)
    > 2. the voltages of the mainboard your computer (eg. using "speedfan").

    > Marcin Gorgolewski
    > www.mybestphotos.batcave.net
    >

    > U¿ytkownik "stevo" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    >> So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up
    >> curropt. I
    >> quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    >> reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel
    >> XT).
    >> But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    >> f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >>
    >> Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have
    >> any
    >> suggestion or experience with this??
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Huh? - volage? Speedfan? What am I checking for?

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006
  13. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "stevo" <> wrote in message
    > So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt.
    > quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    > reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    > But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    > f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >
    > Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have
    > any
    > suggestion or experience with this??
    >
    > Thanks.

    So, I took the corrupt disk to see if it would work back in my camera... and
    of course it didn.t. But when I put it back in the card reader even more
    pics were totally unrecoverable.

    This is mess.

    stevo, Oct 4, 2006
  14. stevo

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <TRIUg.720$UJ2.706@fed1read07>,
    Bob Williams <> wrote:

    >stevo wrote:
    >> So about a month ago my 1gb Lexar compact flash started coming up curropt. I
    >> quickly bought a recovery program which seems to work fine. I always
    >> reformat the card on the computer and then again in the camera (Rebel XT).
    >> But the darn thing now seems to come up corrupt about 1 in 4 times. It's
    >> f$ckin' driving me nuts, not too mention extremely time consuming.
    >>
    >> Is it the computer, the camera, the card reader or the card? Anyone have any
    >> suggestion or experience with this??
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Do the pictures display properly in the camera?
    >If yes, it is not the card or the camera.
    >
    >*Don't format the card in the computer. Just format it in the camera.
    >*If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a different card reader.
    > They often get finicky after a while.
    >Bob Williams

    Agreed. Format only in the camera.

    You might try finding some free XP utility that writes zeroes on every
    block on the CF card then formatting in the camera. It's a long shot
    but it might fix something.

    There is XP software that does write/readback tests on disks. I'd run
    a few passes on the CF card in my PC to see how it does. If it passes
    that test them maybe it's your camera.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com

    Al Dykes, Oct 4, 2006
  15. stevo

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:50:06 -0800, "stevo" <>
    wrote:

    >>> Do the pictures display properly in the camera?

    >Yes, but once it comes up corrupt in the card reader, it no longer works in
    >the camera. So I have to reformat it :(

    That could be a "BINGO!" moment.
    I'd get another reader.
    --