    disk ( the floppy is ok) so there does seem to be something wrong there?
    If the bios is corrupt then if I try another hard drive on it , will this
    hard drive also become corrupt?

    ali, Oct 19, 2003

  2. ali

    JOE Guest

    can you get to Fdisk/Format with the Boot disk?what OS?
    "ali" <> wrote in message
    > My hard drive went down the other day . At first I thought it was just a
    > case of the drive reaching the end of its life( I tried the drive in

    another
    > PC and it could not be detected in this PC either) but now I`m not sure.
    > This page describes my situation perfectly:
    > If it has corrupted the drive then maybe that is why it cannot be

    detected

    GA-7IXE4(manual:http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_G

    JOE, Oct 19, 2003

  3. ali

    leftnutrzr Guest

    "ali" <> wrote in message
    > My hard drive went down the other day . At first I thought it was just a
    > case of the drive reaching the end of its life( I tried the drive in

    another
    > PC and it could not be detected in this PC either) but now I`m not sure.
    > This page describes my situation perfectly:
    > If it has corrupted the drive then maybe that is why it cannot be

    detected
    > in another PC?
    > The M/board is a gigabyte

    GA-7IXE4(manual:http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_G
    > A-7IXE4.htm)
    > I have re-set the cmos on the board but it still won`t boot from a boot
    > disk ( the floppy is ok) so there does seem to be something wrong there?
    > If the bios is corrupt then if I try another hard drive on it , will this
    > hard drive also become corrupt?

    well... you have yourself a nice hunt if you want to redo the bios chip ...
    cause they're hard to find an exact replacement for it

    and to go the cheap road.. look for a board that supports SDram not DDR

    leftnutrzr, Oct 19, 2003
  4. ali

    Jackie Guest

    "ali" <> wrote in message
    > My hard drive went down the other day . At first I thought it was just a
    > case of the drive reaching the end of its life( I tried the drive in

    another
    > PC and it could not be detected in this PC either) but now I`m not sure.
    > This page describes my situation perfectly:

    Your BIOS is damaged?

    Jackie, Oct 19, 2003
  5. ali

    ali Guest

    > can you get to Fdisk/Format with the Boot disk?what OS?

    Not on the problem PC(I can`t boot up from the floppy here). If I put the HD
    on another pc and use a win98 boot disk I can get to the C prompt but fdisk
    says no fixed disks present. Format says it is not supported on c

    ali, Oct 19, 2003
  6. ali

    SgtMinor Guest

    ali wrote:

    > My hard drive went down the other day .

    What was the exact error message when you were first unable to access
    your HD?

    > At first I thought it was just a
    > case of the drive reaching the end of its life( I tried the drive in another
    > PC and it could not be detected in this PC either) but now I`m not sure.
    > This page describes my situation perfectly:
    > If it has corrupted the drive then maybe that is why it cannot be detected
    > in another PC?
    > The M/board is a gigabyte
    > GA-7IXE4(manual:http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_G
    > A-7IXE4.htm)
    > I have re-set the cmos on the board but it still won`t boot from a boot
    > disk ( the floppy is ok)

    The floppy is OK but you can't boot from it? Can you boot from the
    CD-ROM?

    > so there does seem to be something wrong there?
    > If the bios is corrupt then if I try another hard drive on it , will this
    > hard drive also become corrupt?

    Naw. It's more likely that you have a problem with the hard drive than
    with your BIOS. If the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the HD gets
    corrupted (there are viruses specifically designed to do this) you may
    not be able to access the drive, on any computer.

    If I misunderstood, and you can boot off the floppy you might try to run
    fdisk on the hard drive, with the /mbr option. This is supposed to
    straighten out the master boot record. On the down side, this could
    make things worse. If you have data on the drive that you wish to
    recover, take a look to see what's possible with the free demo of
    active@, a partition recovery utility, from
    http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm If it finds your data,
    pay the $30 for the full program. It has worked for me, several times.

    Good luck

    SgtMinor, Oct 19, 2003
  7. ali

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:34:59 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "ali" <> wrote :

    > My hard drive went down the other day . At first I thought it was just a
    >case of the drive reaching the end of its life( I tried the drive in another
    >PC and it could not be detected in this PC either) but now I`m not sure.
    > This page describes my situation perfectly:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290665
    > If it has corrupted the drive then maybe that is why it cannot be detected
    >in another PC?
    >The M/board is a gigabyte
    >GA-7IXE4(manual:http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_G
    >A-7IXE4.htm)
    > I have re-set the cmos on the board but it still won`t boot from a boot
    >disk ( the floppy is ok) so there does seem to be something wrong there?
    > If the bios is corrupt then if I try another hard drive on it , will this
    >hard drive also become corrupt?

    Try removing the power from the system by pulling the cord out then
    clear the CMOS.You cannot fully clear the CMOS on ATX powered systems
    with power to the board.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,