    router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
    my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
    wired network adapter will the priority access?

    smlunatick, Jun 4, 2008

  2. smlunatick <> wrote in news:471a711b-9dcb-444f-8929-
    :

    > I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
    > router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
    > my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
    > wired network adapter will the priority access?

    Open a command prompt window and enter the command:
    route print
    Each route will probably be listed twice -- once for the wired
    connection and once for the wireless connection. The "Metric" column
    determines which one is used. The lower number in the Metric column is
    preferred. Windows usually defaults to a "1" in this column for
    hardwired connections and something like "25" for wireless connections.
    If this is not the case for you, you can change this using the:
    route change
    command. Type "route -?" for the syntax.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jun 4, 2008

  3. smlunatick

    John Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540

    But why connect twice to the same router??

    John, Jun 4, 2008
  4. smlunatick

    Sean Cleary Guest

    On Jun 4, 9:30 am, "John" <a> wrote:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540
    >
    > But why connect twice to the same router??
    >
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > >I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
    > > router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
    > > my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
    > > wired network adapter will the priority access?

    Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
    enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
    smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
    higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
    deny this as I am interested.

    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Jun 5, 2008
  5. smlunatick

    DeeJay Guest

    "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 4, 9:30 am, "John" <a> wrote:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540
    >>
    >> But why connect twice to the same router??
    >>
    >> "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    >> >I have both a wired Ethernet and a wireless access onto the same
    >> > router. It seems that my XP Pro defaults to the wireless adapter for
    >> > my network access. How could I set up the network metrics so that my
    >> > wired network adapter will the priority access?

    > Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
    > enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
    > smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
    > higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
    > deny this as I am interested.
    >
    > Sean

    You can achieve those (higher bandwidth and/or failover) with NICs that
    support adapter teaming. Won't help you speed up your internet speed though.

    DeeJay, Jun 5, 2008
  6. smlunatick

    Sean Cleary Guest

    > > Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
    > > enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
    > > smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
    > > higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
    > > deny this as I am interested.

    > > Sean

    > You can achieve those (higher bandwidth and/or failover) with NICs that
    > support adapter teaming. Won't help you speed up your internet speed though.

    Thank you for your kind reply.
    Ok, but if you effectively have two NICs, one striaght and one
    wireless, is there a solution?
    And why would increased bandwidth not speed up the internet
    connection?

    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Jun 5, 2008
  7. smlunatick

    John Guest

    >> > Well, for flexibility, or because one hopes that the system is smart
    >> > enough to use the extra bandwidth. I suspect that the system is not so
    >> > smart, that frex adding extra cables, each worth 100Mbs, would allow a
    >> > higher theoretical bandwidth, but not a actual one. Please confirm or
    >> > deny this as I am interested.

    >> > Sean

    >> You can achieve those (higher bandwidth and/or failover) with NICs that
    >> support adapter teaming. Won't help you speed up your internet speed
    >> though.

    > Thank you for your kind reply.
    > Ok, but if you effectively have two NICs, one striaght and one
    > wireless, is there a solution?

    Don't think so.

    > And why would increased bandwidth not speed up the internet
    > connection?

    Unless you have a very fast internet connection (eg: 100Mbps or faster), I
    don't see how you can speed it up increasing your local network speed. In
    other words, your internet bandwidth is the bottleneck.

    John, Jun 5, 2008