Correction: Canon A75 CF card memory size

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Engineer, May 23, 2004.

  1. Engineer

    Engineer Guest

    Correction:
    A short while ago I replied to a post on, IIRC, Canon CF card size and
    stated (incorrectly) that the Canon A75 was sold in Canada with a "16
    MB" CF card. This is NOT so - I should have checked my own new A75
    first, but it was in the basement (my office is upstairs, two
    flights.) Of course, it is sold here with the same 32 MB CF card
    (called "high speed") as it is everywhere else (I presume.)

    Apologies for misleading anyone, and to Canon Canada, I must have had
    "16 MB" on the mind from another topic!

    Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards at
    12X speed, or better.

    I still like the A75!

    Cheers,

    Roger
    Engineer, May 23, 2004

  2. "Engineer" <> writes:

    >Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards at
    >12X speed, or better.

    Are you sure you need fast CF cards? The camera has an internal buffer
    that will absorb at least several frames as you shoot rapidly, then
    write them to the card at its rate. A faster card will drain the buffer
    faster, but unless you shoot bursts in continuous mode or movies, you
    may never fill the buffer. In that case, card speed really doesn't
    matter much.

    By the way, Costco was selling 256 MB Sandisk CF cards for $64 as of a
    few weeks ago.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, May 24, 2004

  3. Engineer

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:

    > "Engineer" <> writes:
    >

    >>Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards at
    >>12X speed, or better.

    > Are you sure you need fast CF cards? The camera has an internal buffer
    > that will absorb at least several frames as you shoot rapidly, then
    > write them to the card at its rate. A faster card will drain the buffer
    > faster, but unless you shoot bursts in continuous mode or movies, you
    > may never fill the buffer. In that case, card speed really doesn't
    > matter much.
    >
    > By the way, Costco was selling 256 MB Sandisk CF cards for $64 as of a
    > few weeks ago.
    >
    > Dave

    And it doesn't matter to you how long it takes to load the card into the
    computer? What about review time? A faster card can make camera use
    more pleasant, IF the camera is able to take advantage of it.
    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2004
  4. Engineer

    nixjunk Guest

    >> By the way, Costco was selling 256 MB Sandisk CF cards for $64 as of a
    >> few weeks ago.
    >>
    >> Dave

    That doesn't sound right. They have been selling them for around $45 for more
    months. Did you mean C$? Best Buy recently had cards for I think US$35.
    nixjunk, May 24, 2004
  5. Ron Hunter <> writes:

    >And it doesn't matter to you how long it takes to load the card into the
    >computer? What about review time? A faster card can make camera use
    >more pleasant, IF the camera is able to take advantage of it.

    First, unless you're using a USB 2 high speed card reader plugged into a
    USB 2 port on the computer, the card probably isn't limiting the read
    speed anyway.

    As it happens, I am using a USB 2 high speed reader, so the card speed
    *does* affect the read time, and I still don't really care. I normally
    unload cards at the end of the day when I'm not particularly in a rush.

    Nor do I usually review images in the camera. I delete obvious failures
    during the review period right after the image was shot, and leave the
    rest for review on the computer. About the only time I use the review
    function is when I'm showing what I've shot to someone else before
    the images have been transferred.

    And I've never used the high-speed shooting modes that take images
    continuously, so I don't worry about filling up the buffer.

    For me, I'd rather spend the same money on more bytes of CF card rather
    than fewer bytes of the premium-price faster cards.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, May 24, 2004
  6. ixjunk (nixjunk) writes:

    >That doesn't sound right. They have been selling them for around $45 for more
    >months. Did you mean C$? Best Buy recently had cards for I think US$35.

    Yes, that's Canadian dollars. Both the person who started the thread
    and I are in Canada, and that represents a good price for here. There
    is no Best Buy. Low-overhead computer parts places sell 256 MB for $70,
    and retail stores are at about $80. That's for garden-variety Sandisk
    cards; the Sandisk Ultra or Lexar fast cards are considerably more
    money.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, May 24, 2004
  7. Engineer

    Engineer Guest

    "Engineer" <> wrote in message

    (snip)

    > Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards

    at
    > 12X speed, or better.
    >
    > I still like the A75!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Roger

    Many thanks for all the very useful information in this thread - much
    appreciated!

    Cheers,

    Roger
    Engineer, May 28, 2004