    What is the correct way to restore the natural balance in Photoshop?

    Thank you for any advice.

    Mark Harris
    Mark Harris, Jun 19, 2005

  2. On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:54:13 +0930, Mark Harris
    <> wrote:

    >I made the wrong white balance setting on my Olympus C-5050.
    >
    >The photos all came out dark and with a blue tint.
    >
    >What is the correct way to restore the natural balance in Photoshop?

    If you were shooting RAW it's trivial. Just open the RAW file in ACR
    and set the WB to what you want.

    If you didn't shot RAW, you'll have to work with the curves. Now you
    know why you should only shot raw or at least have a raw file.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Mark Harris

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Mark Harris writes ...
    >
    >I made the wrong white balance setting on my Olympus C-5050.
    >The photos all came out dark and with a blue tint.
    >What is the correct way to restore the natural balance in Photoshop?

    If you have something that you know is neutral toned in the image you
    can use the eye droppers in Levels or Curves. For example, if you have
    something that you know *should* be neutral gray then add a Levels
    adjustment layer and in the bottom right-corner there are three eye
    droppers for black point, mid point and white point, just pick the
    middle one and click on the gray point to restore color balance (or
    white point if you have a known white).

    If there are no known neutrals in the image then it's a lot harder but
    usually there are neutrals.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Mark Harris

    Stacey Guest

    Mark Harris wrote:

    > I made the wrong white balance setting on my Olympus C-5050.
    >
    > The photos all came out dark and with a blue tint.
    >
    > What is the correct way to restore the natural balance in Photoshop?

    Do a search but one easy way is to use "levels" and find something white,
    grey or black in the image and use the eyedropper tool. Might take a few
    tries, the alt key turns one of the buttons into a "reset" so you can try
    again if it looks weird. Once you get the color right, the curves (or
    levels sliders) will finish the process. Like someone else said, this is
    why I shoot RAW but I don't think that OM has a file buffer so it makes for
    LONG write times!
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Mark Harris

    Fish Guest

    Hello,

    You can try Color Pilot Plug-in (http://www.colorpilot.com/plugin.html)
    - the plugin for Photoshop for color and brightness correction.
    The examples of white balance correction are shown here:
    http://www.colorpilot.com/cp_ex07.html
    http://www.colorpilot.com/cp_ex11.html

    Color Pilot Plug-in allows you to save the results of the preceding
    correction. If you have many photos with a similar color balance, it is
    enough to correct one photo and then to click the Repeat button on the
    main toolbar.
    After downloading the program you can see the demonstration how to
    correct several photos. For that you should open Example 14 on the menu
    Examples.

    Best regards,

    Olga
    Two Pilots
    http://www.colorpilot.com
    Fish, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Mark Harris

    Ryan Guest

    > If you have something that you know is neutral toned in the image you
    > can use the eye droppers in Levels or Curves. For example, if you have

    What color qualifies as neutral? Is it simply a hue with an even
    distribution of Red, Green, and Blue (gray tones), or something else?
    Ryan, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Mark Harris

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> If you have something that you know is neutral toned in the image
    >> you can use the eye droppers in Levels or Curves.

    >Ryan writes ...
    >
    >What color qualifies as neutral?

    Black, white, shades of gray in between these two extremes ... take a
    test image with color patches in it and click on some of the patches to
    see the effect. These eye droppers are typically used when there's a
    color cast, usually from the wrong white balance setting.
    Bill Hilton, Jun 22, 2005