    0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    google or talk to local part houses?

    Another, Feb 28, 2008

  2. Another

    Rôgêr Guest

    Another wrote:
    > I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    > 0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    > correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    > google or talk to local part houses?

    Tell the parts house what make and model of cooktop you have and that
    you want a knob for it. No need to bring them blueprints of the knob.

    Rôgêr, Feb 28, 2008

  3. Another

    Another Guest

    > Tell the parts house what make and model of cooktop you have and that
    > you want a knob for it. No need to bring them blueprints of the knob.

    The part is no longer available from the manufacturer. I am attempting
    to find a compatible replacement.

    Another, Feb 28, 2008
  4. Another

    Mike Easter Guest

    Another wrote:
    > I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits
    > on a
    > 0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    > correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    > google or talk to local part houses?

    No matter how I search, knob, or 'knob flat side shaft' or whatever, the
    same types of knobs always turn up; the 1/4" diam D-shaped shaft for a
    push-on knob.

    There are zillions of them, it is so standard. You don't need to get
    the specific knob for your exhaust fan. Some knobs for that shaft are
    going to have a little set screw and some of them are going to have a
    spring-metal inside to hold them on.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 28, 2008
  5. Another

    ellis_jay Guest

    Another wrote:
    > I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits
    > on a
    > 0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    > correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    > google or talk to local part houses?

    That should be a standard size, I would think. Just find a knob at the
    appliance repair store (preferably a mom and pop store-or shade tree
    mechanic type of place) and go from there. If appearance is a problem then
    switch all the knobs over to the new type. A flea market may be a good
    place to start.

    --
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
    government. ___Edward Abbey

    ellis_jay, Feb 28, 2008
  6. Another

    Another Guest

    > No matter how I search, knob, or 'knob flat side shaft' or whatever, the
    > same types of knobs always turn up; the 1/4" diam D-shaped shaft for a
    > push-on knob.

    That is what I needed: "D-shaped shaft". Thanks

    Another, Feb 28, 2008
  7. Another

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:24:56 -0600, Another <.> wrote:

    >I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    >0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    >correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    >google or talk to local part houses?

    Just take the whole knob with shaft to the parts house and let them
    match it.
    That style of knob is only to common and should not have any
    difficulties finding one.

    richard, Feb 28, 2008
  8. Another

    olfart Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:24:56 -0600, Another <.> wrote:
    >
    >>I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    >>0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    >>correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    >>google or talk to local part houses?

    > Just take the whole knob with shaft to the parts house and let them
    > match it.
    > That style of knob is only to common and should not have any
    > difficulties finding one.

    how do you take the knob "with the shaft" unless you drag the whole cooktop
    with you????

    olfart, Feb 28, 2008
  9. Another

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-28, olfart <> wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:24:56 -0600, Another <.> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    >>>0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    >>>correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    >>>google or talk to local part houses?

    >> Just take the whole knob with shaft to the parts house and let them
    >> match it.
    >> That style of knob is only to common and should not have any
    >> difficulties finding one.

    > how do you take the knob "with the shaft" unless you drag the whole cooktop
    > with you????

    Use a hack-saw, of course!

    Or ... take a photo.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 28, 2008
  10. Another

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:24:56 -0600, Another <.> wrote:

    >I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    >0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    >correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    >google or talk to local part houses?

    huh-huh, he said knob.

    Evan Platt, Feb 28, 2008
  11. wrote:

    > I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    > 0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    > correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    > google or talk to local part houses?

    I think the shaft is called a "D-shaft" (based on the cross section), so
    you might try looking for the knob with that language.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2008
  12. olfart wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:24:56 -0600, Another <.> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to replace an exhaust fan knob on my cooktop. The knob fits on a
    >>>0.25 inch diameter split shaft that has one flat side. What is the
    >>>correct terminology used to refer to this type of shaft when trying to
    >>>google or talk to local part houses?

    >> Just take the whole knob with shaft to the parts house and let them
    >> match it.
    >> That style of knob is only to common and should not have any
    >> difficulties finding one.

    > how do you take the knob "with the shaft" unless you drag the whole cooktop
    > with you????

    You disconnect the switch and remove it from what it's mounted to.

    But that's not needed; if he has the knob with him, that's adequate.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2008
  13. Another

    Another Guest

    > huh-huh, he said knob.

    I am "The Great Cornholio"!

    Another, Feb 28, 2008
  14. Another

    Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote:

    >> how do you take the knob "with the shaft" unless you drag the whole cooktop
    >> with you????

    >Use a hack-saw, of course!
    >
    >Or ... take a photo.

    A cell phone is great for this, if I need say a gas valve, I'll take a
    picture of it and show it at the parts counter - saves a lot of
    explaining, and has worked very well so far.
    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , Feb 29, 2008