Corporate Wireless Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by TheScullster, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. TheScullster

    TheScullster Guest

    Hi all

    We currently have a "standard" MS network comprising:

    Win2003 Server DHCP (file/print)
    Win2003 + Exchange 2003 Server
    Approx 30 XP clients

    Internet/email comms is via ISA server and Nokia router/Checkpoint firewall.
    Existing lan is all hard wired.

    We have irregular visits from associate company employees who could do with
    wireless internet access.

    AIUI, it is possible to plug a wireless access point into the router, but
    assign an ip address to the access point outside our internal lan ranger.
    Then set rules on the firewall to allow internet access out from this
    device.

    So my questions are:

    Having no knowledge whatever of these devices - what access point would the
    group recommend and why?
    How compatible would the recommended device be with the different wireless
    capable laptops - will older laptops work with new access point?
    What security measures should be in place for this device?

    Thanks to anyone who can help clear the muddy waters for me

    Phil

    [Apologies for xpost from general networking group]

    TheScullster, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Hi
    For mid level hardware look at the Proxim line,
    http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/
    For Top of the line the Cisco,
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...category_buyers_guide.html?linkpos=1#number_1
    If your assessment of the need, and budgetary consideration call for Entry
    Level Hardware, this might help, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 26, 2006

  3. TheScullster

    Frankster Guest

    Because you want to be able to control these "visitors" differently than the
    rest of your users, personally, rather than a simple Access Point (which
    otherwise would have been my choice), I would install at least a
    wired/wireless router and put them on a separate network. Preferably a
    "Router" that has decent firewall capabilities. Or, better yet, a real
    firewall. Just IMHO.

    As for your questions...

    - No particular model of WAP is superior in my opinion. If you need lots of
    distance go with one of the newer "MIMO" devices (more power - I *think* I
    spelled that right) LOL.

    - Since your visitors are unknown, you will probably have to install a fully
    backward compatible model. All the new models I believe support the older
    wireless cards. You will have to configure to allow that.

    - Because you will have to configure your wireless security in the WAP to
    the lowest common denominator of authentication (for your unknown
    connections - you don't know what their cards are capable of), your WAP
    security will have to be set at the least effective. Another reason this
    should/could be controlled with an actual firewall.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jun 26, 2006
  4. TheScullster

    Frankster Guest

    > AIUI, it is possible to plug a wireless access point into the router, but
    > assign an ip address to the access point outside our internal lan ranger.
    > Then set rules on the firewall to allow internet access out from this
    > device.

    Forgot to mention... a true Wireless Access Point does not require an IP to
    operate (although they often can be configured/accessed initially using
    one - or USB, etc). The point is that WAP functionality does not really
    allow assigning IPs to itself or to clients (DHCP). In order to do that you
    would need a Router (with wireless capability), not a WAP. Many (most? all?)
    of today's wireless Routers can be configured either as a Router or as a
    simple WAP. Although, personally, if only a WAP is required, I prefer to buy
    a WAP. Think of a WAP as nothing but a receiver/transmitter that
    receives/sends everything, both ways. That's it. Just like a switch, but
    wireless.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jun 26, 2006