    system info says I have XP version 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600. Can someone
    explain to me what part of this I have wrong? How can 32 bit windows run on a
    64 bit processor?

    Kato, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Both the AMD64 and Core 2 processors are 64-bit with backwards compatibility
    with the x86 instruction set. That means both 32-bit and 64-bit software
    runs natively on these processors. Therefore 32-bit operating systems run
    on them just as well as on the older x86 processors and just as well as
    64-bit operating systems. That is why the 64-bit specific instructions are
    called "extensions."

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 26, 2007

  3. Kato

    Kato Guest