Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ss6nn1@googlemail.com, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Turn machine on,
    CPU fan spins,
    No beep,
    No signal to monitor,
    2 seconds later,
    Turns off itself,
    2 seconds of silence,
    Boots itself up again,
    2 seconds later,
    Turns off itself,
    Repeat,
    Repeat,
    etc.

    What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?

    NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
    into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

    , Aug 9, 2006

  2. Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:06:55 +0100, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Turn machine on,
    > CPU fan spins,
    > No beep,
    > No signal to monitor,
    > 2 seconds later,
    > Turns off itself,
    > 2 seconds of silence,
    > Boots itself up again,
    > 2 seconds later,
    > Turns off itself,
    > Repeat,
    > Repeat,
    > etc.
    >
    > What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
    >
    > NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
    > into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

    Well, I'd go with the obvious first and swap out the PSU. It could be either
    under-rated or faulty.

    I'd stake everything in my bank account that it's neither the motherboard or
    CPU. Sounds like a typical PSU issue to me...

    Margolotta, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:
    > Turn machine on,
    > CPU fan spins,
    > No beep,
    > No signal to monitor,
    > 2 seconds later,
    > Turns off itself,
    > 2 seconds of silence,
    > Boots itself up again,
    > 2 seconds later,
    > Turns off itself,
    > Repeat,
    > Repeat,
    > etc.
    >
    > What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
    >
    > NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
    > into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

    I forgot to mention, the machine doesn't shut down itself and boot up
    non-stop if I remove the CPU, could that be a faulty CPU or damage
    motherboad pins?

    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA 965P DQ6

    , Aug 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    Margolotta wrote:
    > Well, I'd go with the obvious first and swap out the PSU. It could be either
    > under-rated or faulty.
    >
    > I'd stake everything in my bank account that it's neither the motherboard or
    > CPU. Sounds like a typical PSU issue to me...

    The PSU is:
    Seasonic S12 Series 500W SLI Certified ATX2.0 PSU

    After booting the machine up without the CPU installed and the reboot
    cycle not occuring, I think it might be a damage CPU? Or could it be
    damage socket?

    , Aug 9, 2006
  5. John McGaw Guest

    Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds andbooting up nonstop

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Turn machine on,
    >> CPU fan spins,
    >> No beep,
    >> No signal to monitor,
    >> 2 seconds later,
    >> Turns off itself,
    >> 2 seconds of silence,
    >> Boots itself up again,
    >> 2 seconds later,
    >> Turns off itself,
    >> Repeat,
    >> Repeat,
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
    >>
    >> NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
    >> into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

    > I forgot to mention, the machine doesn't shut down itself and boot up
    > non-stop if I remove the CPU, could that be a faulty CPU or damage
    > motherboad pins?
    >
    > CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
    > Mobo: Gigabyte GA 965P DQ6

    If you remove the CPU the computer is not a computer -- it is just some
    semi-inert electronic parts. It can't try to boot so it cannot reboot.

    Are you able to get into the BIOS during the boot-reboot cycle you
    described in your original post? I would suggest that you clear your
    CMOS, the procedure should be described in your manual, and then try to
    get into the BIOS to load the default settings.

    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    John McGaw, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Cub Guest

    > I forgot to mention, the machine doesn't shut down itself and boot up
    > non-stop if I remove the CPU, could that be a faulty CPU or damage
    > motherboad pins?

    If I remove the CPU and incert a jelly baby would that cure it !

    FFS take it to someone that understands hardware before you F**K it up

    Did you even use a wrist strap to avoid static when you ripped the chip out
    ?

    FFS !

    Cub, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Guest

    John McGaw wrote:
    > Are you able to get into the BIOS during the boot-reboot cycle you
    > described in your original post?

    No, no BIOS screen, no memory check, no signal to monitor.

    > I would suggest that you clear your
    > CMOS, the procedure should be described in your manual, and then try to
    > get into the BIOS to load the default settings.

    Just cleared the CMOS, still the same.

    , Aug 9, 2006
  8. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Margolotta wrote:
    >> Well, I'd go with the obvious first and swap out the PSU. It could
    >> be either under-rated or faulty.
    >>
    >> I'd stake everything in my bank account that it's neither the
    >> motherboard or CPU. Sounds like a typical PSU issue to me...

    > The PSU is:
    > Seasonic S12 Series 500W SLI Certified ATX2.0 PSU
    >
    > After booting the machine up without the CPU installed and the reboot
    > cycle not occuring, I think it might be a damage CPU? Or could it be
    > damage socket?

    Not likely the CPU, since a dead/damaged CPU usually acts pretty much
    exactly as /no/ CPU.

    Have you taken EVERYTHING out of the system except motherboard, 1 stick of
    RAM, CPU and video card /then/ tried booting? (No drives, minimal RAM, etc.)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Not likely the CPU, since a dead/damaged CPU usually acts pretty much
    > exactly as /no/ CPU.
    >
    > Have you taken EVERYTHING out of the system except motherboard, 1 stick of
    > RAM, CPU and video card /then/ tried booting? (No drives, minimal RAM, etc.)

    Yes, I did.

    Anyway I just ordered a new CPU and motherboard, I'll replace and swap
    and see which is the faulty component and send it back for DOA to
    retailer. Then when I get the DOA replacement I'll build a second
    workstation.

    I'd love to get a Dell Precision workstation instead of building my own
    workstations (too many headaches), but I need a workstation that
    support four or more monitors for daytrading (hence dual PCI-E
    motherboard which Dell Precisions don't have).

    , Aug 9, 2006
  10. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Not likely the CPU, since a dead/damaged CPU usually acts pretty much
    >> exactly as /no/ CPU.
    >>
    >> Have you taken EVERYTHING out of the system except motherboard, 1
    >> stick of RAM, CPU and video card /then/ tried booting? (No drives,
    >> minimal RAM, etc.)
    >>

    > Yes, I did.
    >
    > Anyway I just ordered a new CPU and motherboard, I'll replace and swap
    > and see which is the faulty component and send it back for DOA to
    > retailer. Then when I get the DOA replacement I'll build a second
    > workstation.

    Good luck - I'd be doing the same about now <g>

    > I'd love to get a Dell Precision workstation instead of building my
    > own workstations (too many headaches), but I need a workstation that
    > support four or more monitors for daytrading (hence dual PCI-E
    > motherboard which Dell Precisions don't have).

    Well, you can get a 4-head PCIe video card and put it in any PCIe slotted
    system...granted, it ain't cheap :)
    http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/product511.html

    Toolman Tim, Aug 9, 2006
  11. Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Well, you can get a 4-head PCIe video card and put it in any PCIe slotted
    > system...granted, it ain't cheap :)
    > http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/product511.html

    Actually I knew about that Matrox QID card, regret not getting it now,
    it probably runs much quieter than two GeForce 7600GT cards :(

    , Aug 9, 2006
  12. hdrdtd Guest

    Last time I had a PC exibit those same symptoms, it was a bad motherboard.

    hdrdtd, Aug 9, 2006
  13. Guest

    wrote:
    > What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?

    OK, I bought a new motherboard and CPU and still same problem.

    Turns out one of the 1GB memory chips in the 2GB kit is faulty. Thought
    I tested both yesterday, obviously not.

    Last time I'm building my own workstation or buying Crucial Ballistix
    memory.

    , Aug 10, 2006
  14. kony Guest

    On 10 Aug 2006 14:23:36 -0700, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?

    >OK, I bought a new motherboard and CPU and still same problem.
    >
    >Turns out one of the 1GB memory chips in the 2GB kit is faulty. Thought
    >I tested both yesterday, obviously not.
    >
    >Last time I'm building my own workstation or buying Crucial Ballistix
    >memory.

    Any brand will have a small percentage of bad parts, you
    could have bought another brand and still faced similar %
    risk.

    kony, Aug 11, 2006
  15. Guest

    kony wrote:
    > Any brand will have a small percentage of bad parts, you
    > could have bought another brand and still faced similar %
    > risk.

    True however since my last post, the new workstation keeps crashing
    even with only the other memory chip installed from the 2GB kit (2x 1GB
    modules). Firstly BF2 game crashes (it usually uses all available
    memory) and when I reach 50% of memory usage, random programs start to
    crash (Firefox, Explorer or background services or even BSOD). This is
    usually caused by faulty memory from past experience. I've contacted
    Crucial for an RMA.

    , Aug 11, 2006
  16. Guest

    first step in any build is to run memtest86+ from floppy for at least 6
    hours, overnight is better. ZERO errors is the only acceptable result, do
    not proceed until then.

    , Aug 11, 2006
  17. Have you RMA'd the memory?

    All memory comes with warranty for faults, usually a lifetime warranty is
    included now.

    Memory failures are probably the most commonlike failures in comp building,
    so no reason to really give-up
    on building comps, i've experienced a hell of alot of these, but simply RMA
    them back for a new set.

    Sean Hutchinson, Aug 11, 2006
  18. Guest

    wrote:
    > True however since my last post, the new workstation keeps crashing
    > even with only the other memory chip installed from the 2GB kit (2x 1GB
    > modules). Firstly BF2 game crashes (it usually uses all available
    > memory) and when I reach 50% of memory usage, random programs start to
    > crash (Firefox, Explorer or background services or even BSOD). This is
    > usually caused by faulty memory from past experience. I've contacted
    > Crucial for an RMA.

    OK an update on this situtation:

    Turns out the memory was faulty and causing all the problems,
    specifically the on/off looping, memtest86+ detected 22 errors after 2
    hours of testing.

    I've returned the Crucial Ballistix "high performance" memory and got a
    new 2GB kit of Crucial "Value" memory which works perfectly, memtest86+
    shows no errors after 12hours of testing, system is stable now.

    , Aug 16, 2006
  19. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> True however since my last post, the new workstation keeps crashing
    >> even with only the other memory chip installed from the 2GB kit (2x
    >> 1GB modules). Firstly BF2 game crashes (it usually uses all available
    >> memory) and when I reach 50% of memory usage, random programs start
    >> to crash (Firefox, Explorer or background services or even BSOD).
    >> This is usually caused by faulty memory from past experience. I've
    >> contacted Crucial for an RMA.

    > OK an update on this situtation:
    >
    > Turns out the memory was faulty and causing all the problems,
    > specifically the on/off looping, memtest86+ detected 22 errors
    > after 2 hours of testing.
    >
    > I've returned the Crucial Ballistix "high performance" memory and
    > got a new 2GB kit of Crucial "Value" memory which works perfectly,
    > memtest86+ shows no errors after 12hours of testing, system is
    > stable now.

    I suspect you still haven't learned that the only appropriate form
    of memory is ECC memory. Anything else is fundamentally
    untrustworthy, due to lack of cross-checking.

    --
    "I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"
    "Any baby snookums can be a Yankee fan, it takes real moral

    CBFalconer, Aug 16, 2006