    things in this pile that I just can't identify their purpose, and I can't
    quite explain. Anywhere good I can look?

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, Jun 5, 2009

  2. James D. Andrews

    jinxy Guest

    On Jun 5, 3:01 pm, "James D. Andrews" <> wrote:
    > Sorry to be so bothersome again, but more questions.
    >
    > Does anyone know a link for identifying various types of cords?
    > My search didn't find one with enough information beyond the bare basics.
    >
    > My wife and I went garage saleing as we often do, and I stumbled upon a
    > gazillion assorted cords.  "You can have them all for a dollar."  Excuse me,
    > this is in rural Texas, it was more like, "You can have 'em all fer a
    > dollar."
    >
    > An incredibly great buy considering the assortment and number of cords and
    > related stuff.
    >
    > Now, I know the power cords, USB, Ethernet, USB printer, video, cords for
    > multiple monitors, adapters, extension cords, and such - but there are some
    > things in this pile that I just can't identify their purpose, and I can't
    > quite explain.  Anywhere good I can look?
    >
    > Woof

    Try here, http://www.cablestogo.com/index.asp? or other cable
    supplier sites. Good luck.
    -J
    jinxy, Jun 5, 2009

  3. James D. Andrews

    Paul Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > Sorry to be so bothersome again, but more questions.
    >
    > Does anyone know a link for identifying various types of cords?
    > My search didn't find one with enough information beyond the bare basics.
    >
    > My wife and I went garage saleing as we often do, and I stumbled upon a
    > gazillion assorted cords. "You can have them all for a dollar." Excuse me,
    > this is in rural Texas, it was more like, "You can have 'em all fer a
    > dollar."
    >
    > An incredibly great buy considering the assortment and number of cords and
    > related stuff.
    >
    > Now, I know the power cords, USB, Ethernet, USB printer, video, cords for
    > multiple monitors, adapters, extension cords, and such - but there are some
    > things in this pile that I just can't identify their purpose, and I can't
    > quite explain. Anywhere good I can look?
    >
    > Woof

    You could take a picture of the ends of the unidentified cords,
    and upload the picture to Imageshack or one of the other photo
    hosting sites here.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_sharing

    Post a link to the picture, then we can take a guess at it.

    When you take the picture, you want a perspective view, showing
    the end and the body. Enough of the end should show, that it is
    possible to count pins. For example, I can count 34 pins here,
    so this is probably 68 pin SCSI. This picture is at too steep an
    angle, to see all 68 pins.

    http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7140/sm-scsi-edge.jpg

    For SCSI, Wikipedia points me to some pictures here. SCSI cables
    are expensive, and if you even got one of them, you've "made a fortune".

    http://www.scsi4me.com/scsi-connectors.htm

    The condition of the connectors is the other issue. If the
    cables have been left in the open somewhere, the contacts
    could be degraded. If they were kept dry, they might still
    be good.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 5, 2009
  4. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > James D. Andrews wrote:
    >> Does anyone know a link for identifying various types of cords?
    >> My search didn't find one with enough information beyond the bare basics.

    >> Woof
    >>

    > You could take a picture of the ends of the unidentified cords,
    > and upload the picture to Imageshack or one of the other photo
    > hosting sites here.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_sharing
    >
    > Post a link to the picture, then we can take a guess at it.
    >
    > When you take the picture, you want a perspective view, showing
    > the end and the body. Enough of the end should show, that it is
    > possible to count pins. For example, I can count 34 pins here,
    > so this is probably 68 pin SCSI. This picture is at too steep an
    > angle, to see all 68 pins.
    >
    > http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7140/sm-scsi-edge.jpg
    >
    > For SCSI, Wikipedia points me to some pictures here. SCSI cables
    > are expensive, and if you even got one of them, you've "made a fortune".
    >
    > http://www.scsi4me.com/scsi-connectors.htm
    >
    > The condition of the connectors is the other issue. If the
    > cables have been left in the open somewhere, the contacts
    > could be degraded. If they were kept dry, they might still
    > be good.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks much. All the cords were in excellent condition. I'm going to tally
    up the prices on the cords I have to see how much I made on the deal.
    Anything over a dollar is pure profit.

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, Jun 6, 2009
  5. "jinxy" <> wrote in message
    On Jun 5, 3:01 pm, "James D. Andrews" <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know a link for identifying various types of cords?
    > My search didn't find one with enough information beyond the bare basics.
    >
    > > Woof

    Try here, http://www.cablestogo.com/index.asp? or other cable
    supplier sites. Good luck.
    -J