cordless/wireless headset recommendations?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by David Johnstone, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Hi everybody,

    I'm looking for recommendations for a cordless/wireless headset
    for use with VoIP and Skype. I've tried 3 different bluetooth devices
    but all were disappointing for quality and range. All had a stereo
    mode with great fidelity, but the mono/biderectional mode you
    need where the mic works was pretty crappy. Also the range was
    not enough to go from my lounge to my kitchen (ca. 10m indoor
    through two thin walls), despite some of it being the newer bluetooth
    standard that's supposed to cover (up to) 100m.

    >From the interface point of view I would accept anything, i.e. either:-

    analogue solution to connect to computer's audio hardware
    usb solution (i.e. with own a/d circuitry)
    lan/wlan solution not requiring pc for connection to dsl router/wlan

    Obviously cheaper is better but I would be willing to splash out a bit
    for something with really good sound quality and range.

    TIA, David

    David Johnstone, Sep 18, 2006

  2. David Johnstone wrote:

    > Hi everybody,

    > I'm looking for recommendations for a cordless/wireless headset
    > for use with VoIP and Skype. I've tried 3 different bluetooth devices
    > but all were disappointing for quality and range. All had a stereo
    > mode with great fidelity, but the mono/biderectional mode you
    > need where the mic works was pretty crappy. Also the range was
    > not enough to go from my lounge to my kitchen (ca. 10m indoor
    > through two thin walls), despite some of it being the newer bluetooth
    > standard that's supposed to cover (up to) 100m.

    >>From the interface point of view I would accept anything, i.e.
    >> either:-

    > analogue solution to connect to computer's audio hardware
    > usb solution (i.e. with own a/d circuitry)
    > lan/wlan solution not requiring pc for connection to dsl router/wlan

    > Obviously cheaper is better but I would be willing to splash out a bit
    > for something with really good sound quality and range.

    > TIA, David

    Well you did not mention one other interface - a direct RJ14 connection
    into a traditional telephone wireless headset such as Plantronics' CS50 or
    Voyager

    http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat29880043/cat29880054

    I am assuming you have already checked their specialized VoIP ones and did
    not like it for whatever reason (such as lack of range, which would be
    fair to say)

    Anyways, for a traditional telephone headset to work you'd need a USB
    adapter such as this gizmo here:

    http://www.meritline.com/usb-voip-multi-audio-adapter-with-handset.html

    I would get the gizmo first, try it with your wired phone handset and only
    then shell out $300+ on a solidly built but a bit expensive Plantronics
    wireless headset.

    Good luck!

    --

    Cheers!