    There are a lot of USB to RJ11 connectors but they are quite expensive.
    It would be nice to have similar product with a cordless phone built-in
    under $100. Do you agree? Any openion?
    hello_r, Aug 7, 2003

  2. hello_r

    hello_r Guest

    Beep <> wrote in message news:<rKxYa.59561$>...
    > hello_r wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of a cordless VoIP phone with 2 lines (1 for PSTN and
    > > the other for VoIP). VoIP could be connected through USB to a PC
    > > running any VoIP software such as Netmeeting, Yahoo/MSN messenger or
    > > dialpad...choose your pick.
    > > There are a lot of USB to RJ11 connectors but they are quite expensive.
    > > It would be nice to have similar product with a cordless phone built-in
    > > under $100. Do you agree? Any openion?

    > Defintely. I haven't seen any FXS/FXO devices that come with a cordless
    > phone built-in. However, I do see lots of these devices that one can
    > connect mostly any phone, i.e. keyphone, cordless phone, regular phone,
    > etc. So, I guessed what you want is an FXS/FXO device and attached with a
    > cordless phone or may be you were looking for an IP-Phone that has an
    > external RJ11 to attach a second phone, i.e. cordless phone.

    Actually, I am developing a cordless VoIP phone with a PSTN and
    USB intereface all built in. This unit can also do a FXS to FXO conversion
    and many other functions. Though it sounds very good in my head, I need
    to know what's the general view in the community.
    Based on my intial work, it should be under $100 mark to the end user.
    Any advice/opnion please. Thanks in advance.
    hello_r, Aug 8, 2003

  3. hello_r

    Beep Guest

    hello_r wrote:

    > Beep <> wrote in message
    >> hello_r wrote:
    >>
    >> > Does anyone know of a cordless VoIP phone with 2 lines (1 for PSTN and
    >> > the other for VoIP). VoIP could be connected through USB to a PC
    >> > running any VoIP software such as Netmeeting, Yahoo/MSN messenger or
    >> > dialpad...choose your pick.
    >> > There are a lot of USB to RJ11 connectors but they are quite expensive.
    >> > It would be nice to have similar product with a cordless phone built-in
    >> > under $100. Do you agree? Any openion?

    >> Defintely. I haven't seen any FXS/FXO devices that come with a cordless
    >> phone built-in. However, I do see lots of these devices that one can
    >> connect mostly any phone, i.e. keyphone, cordless phone, regular phone,
    >> etc. So, I guessed what you want is an FXS/FXO device and attached with a
    >> cordless phone or may be you were looking for an IP-Phone that has an
    >> external RJ11 to attach a second phone, i.e. cordless phone.

    > Actually, I am developing a cordless VoIP phone with a PSTN and
    > USB intereface all built in. This unit can also do a FXS to FXO conversion
    > and many other functions. Though it sounds very good in my head, I need
    > to know what's the general view in the community.
    > Based on my intial work, it should be under $100 mark to the end user.
    > Any advice/opnion please. Thanks in advance.

    I have been exposed to VoIP technology for about three years now (could have
    had more if I were willing to spend about $100 for the device).

    I started out by purchasing a close out device called Aplio/Phone for $25
    each and was pretty happy with it. Then, when Creative Labs had closed out
    its product called VoIPBlaster (VB) for $10/each, I went to get about 20
    units. Right now, I have replaced Aplio/Phone with the VB devices and am
    very happy with it. Like I said before, I could go with an FXO device;
    however, I decided not to mainly because the cost of an inexpensive FXO
    device (about 475) is still pretty high in my consideration. I definitely
    won't consider to spending about $100 for your device. At most, I will give
    it a try if your device is < $50. Please don't get me wrong. Right now, I
    have an old i386/20MHz Linux OSed computer running asterisk with about 3
    voice modems to serve as my needs for VoIP to receive/call land lines. I
    inherited this machine from some friends with the modems and costed almost
    nothing, except electricity to operate (fraction of my broadband and
    telephone connections). Maintenance is almost nothing.
    Beep, Aug 8, 2003
  4. hello_r

    hello_r Guest

    Beep <> wrote in message news:<9LMYa.96561$o%2.43482@sccrnsc02>...
    > hello_r wrote:
    >
    > > Beep <> wrote in message

    > >> Defintely. I haven't seen any FXS/FXO devices that come with a cordless
    > >> phone built-in. However, I do see lots of these devices that one can
    > >> connect mostly any phone, i.e. keyphone, cordless phone, regular phone,
    > >> etc. So, I guessed what you want is an FXS/FXO device and attached with a
    > >> cordless phone or may be you were looking for an IP-Phone that has an
    > >> external RJ11 to attach a second phone, i.e. cordless phone.

    > > Actually, I am developing a cordless VoIP phone with a PSTN and
    > > USB intereface all built in. This unit can also do a FXS to FXO conversion
    > > and many other functions. Though it sounds very good in my head, I need
    > > to know what's the general view in the community.
    > > Based on my intial work, it should be under $100 mark to the end user.
    > > Any advice/opnion please. Thanks in advance.

    > I have been exposed to VoIP technology for about three years now (could have
    > had more if I were willing to spend about $100 for the device).
    >
    > I started out by purchasing a close out device called Aplio/Phone for $25
    > each and was pretty happy with it. Then, when Creative Labs had closed out
    > its product called VoIPBlaster (VB) for $10/each, I went to get about 20
    > units. Right now, I have replaced Aplio/Phone with the VB devices and am
    > very happy with it. Like I said before, I could go with an FXO device;
    > however, I decided not to mainly because the cost of an inexpensive FXO
    > device (about 475) is still pretty high in my consideration. I definitely
    > won't consider to spending about $100 for your device. At most, I will give
    > it a try if your device is < $50. Please don't get me wrong. Right now, I
    > have an old i386/20MHz Linux OSed computer running asterisk with about 3
    > voice modems to serve as my needs for VoIP to receive/call land lines. I
    > inherited this machine from some friends with the modems and costed almost
    > nothing, except electricity to operate (fraction of my broadband and
    > telephone connections). Maintenance is almost nothing.

    Thanks so much for your response. I really want an honest opinion
    since I am actually spending money on this project. As far as asterisk
    machines are considered, I would love to put-up a system like yours. i
    am not too familier with Asterisk yet but I am sure some digging could
    help. If you don't mind, I may ask you for help in-case i fall into
    unsolvable trouble.
    Thanks for your response and hope to receive some more opinions from
    other active folks on this forum.
    hello_r, Aug 8, 2003
  5. hello_r

    hello_r Guest

    Hello Beep,
    Pardon my ignorance but I can not see the "Reply" field.
    Anyhow, I do have a question for you.
    Are you connecting all the VoIP blasters to a single system? I
    suppose, you are using a single asterisk box with some sort of USB
    extension board to expand to ~20 VoIPBlasters. Is that right?
    Does that mean that there is no way for you to dial an outside (POTS)
    line? I would be curious to know your set-up.
    My main goal is to create a system such that:

    1.) 2 FXOs
    2.) 2 FXS
    3.) Asterisk box
    4.) SIP client such that a remote PC can access POTs connected through
    my FXOs on asterisk box.
    5.) Some kind of billing/user management tool.

    The goal is very ambitious but the more I read about asterisk, the
    easier its getting. Plus, help from seasoned gurus such as yourself
    can get me going in no time.

    Thanks a bunch to everyone who is contributing to this thread.
    hello_r, Aug 13, 2003