    have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
    use a software solution or a USB solution?

    Thankyou.

    ChrisR, Apr 12, 2005

  2. ChrisR

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    ChrisR <> wrote:
    > The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't
    > have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
    > use a software solution or a USB solution?

    The easiest way to make free calls to other people using your ATA or other
    SIP-compliant VoIP gear is to sign up for a number at Free World Dialup
    (www.freeworlddialup.org)

    miguel
    Latest photos: Jordan, Turkey, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel

    Miguel Cruz, Apr 12, 2005

  3. ChrisR

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > ChrisR <> wrote:
    >> The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I
    >> don't have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I
    >> don't want to use a software solution or a USB solution?

    > The easiest way to make free calls to other people using your ATA
    > or other SIP-compliant VoIP gear is to sign up for a number at Free
    > World Dialup (www.freeworlddialup.org)

    Or www.sipgate.co.uk if you want a UK number (you do need to use a British
    based IP address if you want a normal geographic number in the UK though,
    but it can be used from anywhere).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 12, 2005
  4. ChrisR

    Ian Guest

    ChrisR <> wrote in message news:<d3fn8n$3b1$>...
    > I'm new at this, so if anyone could provide a little information that
    > would be great.
    >
    > I'd like to use my cordless phone to place voip calls so I know I need a
    > ATA analogue telephone adapter. I'd like to plug the ATA into my Dlink
    > router via an ethernet RJ45 port so I don't need the computer running in
    > order to place a call. It also means other family members are not tied
    > down to my computer as with USB/Headset software solutions.

    Not a Problem thats what most people do.

    > The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't
    > have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
    > use a software solution or a USB solution?

    Well the answer to this is a yes / no on one.
    Put simply yes you could make P2P calls without a Voip Provider, BUT
    why would you want to, Firstly it will make it dificult for people to
    call you, and you wont be able to get the benifits of reduced cost
    toll and International voip to pstn calls. Most SIP suppliers dont
    charge any "line Rental" just charge for off net calls, look for
    suppliers that have good peering to other voip providers.

    Ian

    FWD 43143

    Ian, Apr 12, 2005
  5. ChrisR

    ChrisR Guest

    > Well the answer to this is a yes / no on one.
    > Put simply yes you could make P2P calls without a Voip Provider, BUT
    > why would you want to, Firstly it will make it dificult for people to
    > call you, and you wont be able to get the benifits of reduced cost
    > toll and International voip to pstn calls. Most SIP suppliers dont
    > charge any "line Rental" just charge for off net calls, look for
    > suppliers that have good peering to other voip providers.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > FWD 43143

    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm having trouble visualising how it
    all fits together. For instance,

    do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a
    particular provider? If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my
    router know the ip of the provider or where to send the data?

    If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another
    voip user? The ATA is just a digitizing device and knows nothing else..?

    Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...

    Thanks again.

    ChrisR, Apr 13, 2005
  6. ChrisR

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    ChrisR <> wrote:
    > do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a
    > particular provider?

    It has to be compatible with their software and protocols, but that usually
    gives you a lot of options.

    > If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my router know the ip of
    > the provider or where to send the data?

    If the provider sends you an ATA, it will come pre-configured. Otherwise you
    have to configure it (using a web-based or phone-based interface) with
    settings they give you.

    > If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another
    > voip user?

    Yes, you'll have to dial by IP address in that case. And if they are behind
    NAT (e.g., a home router) then it probably won't work unless they have made
    special arrangements on their router. In this case you are better off using
    FWD as I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's free and easy.

    > Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...

    If the provider is far away from you then there can be noticeable latency.

    For instance, I live in Malaysia but buy SIP minutes from a provider in the
    USA. For calls to the USA and Europe, and even Japan and Australia, this is
    no problem. However, when I call back to countries near me (such as
    Thailand, or Malaysia itself) the delay is quite perceptible because the
    information is traveling twice around the world over apparently high-latency
    links.

    So even though calls from Malaysia to Malaysia using VoIP via the USA are
    cheaper than calls directly dialed from my Malaysian phone, I still end up
    direct-dialing because the delay is so annoying.

    Miguel Cruz, Apr 13, 2005
  7. ChrisR

    ChrisR Guest

    Thanks Miguel,

    that was very useful!

    ChrisR, Apr 13, 2005
  8. ChrisR

    ChrisR Guest

    Oh, and if I may, what ATA should I be looking at for the straighfoward
    RJ45 setup I have in mind? Where can I find such a thing as there don't
    appear to be any availabe in NZ.

    ChrisR, Apr 13, 2005
  9. ChrisR

    Ian Guest

    <SNIP>

    > Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm having trouble visualising how it
    > all fits together. For instance,
    >
    > do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a
    > particular provider? If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my
    > router know the ip of the provider or where to send the data?

    The ATA has the info programmed into it.

    > If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another
    > voip user? The ATA is just a digitizing device and knows nothing else..?

    No The ATA is the device that will let you make the call

    > Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...

    No realy The important thing is latancy, So if you intend to call
    people mainly in NZ use an NZ supplier , But for example if you are
    going to use it to contact people in the UK use a UK supplier get a UK
    number and that way they call you on a UK number IF they dont have
    voip and you can call them at local rate if they dont have voip or you
    do a P2P call

    Have a google the are some very good voip companies in NZ
    http://www.sineapps.com are down south in Dunedin for example.

    Ian.

    Ian, Apr 13, 2005
  10. ChrisR

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    these move fasts..

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5770259294&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MESE:IT

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5770083850&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MESE:IT

    Marc H.Popek, Apr 26, 2005
  11. ChrisR

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Marc H.Popek wrote:
    > these move fasts..

    For crying out loudl will you *please* stop spamming this group..?

    <plonk>

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 26, 2005