    When it happens, I have gone to windows task manager and cannot see anything
    suddenly using a lot of processing power. Might anyone have a guess as to
    what might be going on? Thanks.

    john hamilton, Mar 7, 2010

  2. john hamilton

    soup Guest

    On 07/03/2010 11:17, john hamilton wrote:
    > My logitech cordless mouse sometimes makes the cursor go useless and then it
    > just recovers by itself five or ten minutes later and works fine again.
    > During the time that it plays up, I can use my corded mouse (which I leave
    > plugged in all the time, just in case I need to switch to using it). The
    > corded mouse works ok during the time the cordless is not. Operating
    > system is windows XP.

    All I can think of is dodgy batteries or interference or an 'old'
    driver. Interference seems odd though as most mice operate in the 27meg
    range whereas cordless phones are in the 50s or 900s range, whilst
    garage door openers are in the 40s. The batteries are the No1 reason I
    do not change to a cordless setup I would never know if it was me/my
    system/the batteries that were at fault . I assume from you talking
    about the device manager updating a driver is trivial to you.

    You may wish to change to the latest driver for your mouse, ensure it
    has 'good' batteries and make sure nothing is on that can interfere with
    it. Alternatively you could go to a corded mouse and have the cable
    routed in such a way that the cord is not obvious.

    soup, Mar 7, 2010

  3. On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 11:17:44 -0000, "john hamilton"
    <> wrote:

    >My logitech cordless mouse sometimes makes the cursor go useless and then it
    >just recovers by itself five or ten minutes later and works fine again.
    >During the time that it plays up, I can use my corded mouse (which I leave
    >plugged in all the time, just in case I need to switch to using it). The
    >corded mouse works ok during the time the cordless is not. Operating
    >system is windows XP.
    >
    >We live in an end of terrace house and the house joined to mine is not using
    >a cordless mouse and so I would not get any interfering cordless mouse
    >signal from there.
    >
    >When it happens, I have gone to windows task manager and cannot see anything
    >suddenly using a lot of processing power. Might anyone have a guess as to
    >what might be going on? Thanks.

    I needed to have a cordless mouse so I went for a Logitech. It never
    worked for more than a few minutes without pausing. I sent it back
    when the pause became permanent. Since then I have used a Sweex mouse
    and it never gives any trouble. It is a simple three button and wheel
    mouse but it only cost £9.90

    Steve

    Neural network applications, help and support.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Mar 7, 2010
  4. john hamilton

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:17:44 +0000, john hamilton wrote:

    > My logitech cordless mouse sometimes makes the cursor go useless and
    > then it just recovers by itself five or ten minutes later and works fine
    > again. During the time that it plays up, I can use my corded mouse
    > (which I leave plugged in all the time, just in case I need to switch to
    > using it). The corded mouse works ok during the time the cordless is
    > not. Operating system is windows XP.
    >
    > We live in an end of terrace house and the house joined to mine is not
    > using a cordless mouse and so I would not get any interfering cordless
    > mouse signal from there.
    >
    > When it happens, I have gone to windows task manager and cannot see
    > anything suddenly using a lot of processing power. Might anyone have a
    > guess as to what might be going on? Thanks.

    Sounds like your hard drive needs to be formatted.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he dropped another white rhino.

    Dan C, Mar 7, 2010
  5. john hamilton

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:33:26 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On 07 Mar 2010 17:55:26 GMT, Dan C <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sounds like your hard drive needs to be formatted.

    > Ignore Dan C. He's a troll, his answer to every question is to format
    > your hard drive.

    A stopped watch is right twice a day, you know.

    --
    "I can tell you how to become a millionaire in as much time as it takes
    a woman to have a baby. One catch: the nine-month plan ends in a funeral."

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2010
  6. john hamilton

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:32:15 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 19:18:11 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>A stopped watch is right twice a day, you know.

    > If by "Stopped watch" you mean "stupid troll", and if by "twice a day"
    > you mean "once in every 5 years"... Yes, I believe you're right. In the
    > way more than 5 years I've been in this froup, his answer of 'format
    > your hard drive' has been correct maybe twice.

    Which would be twice more than any answers *you've* ever given...

    Heh.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he backed into a squad car.

    Dan C, Mar 7, 2010
  7. john hamilton

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:32:15 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 19:18:11 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>A stopped watch is right twice a day, you know.

    > If by "Stopped watch" you mean "stupid troll", and if by "twice a day"
    > you mean "once in every 5 years"... Yes, I believe you're right. In the
    > way more than 5 years I've been in this froup, his answer of 'format
    > your hard drive' has been correct maybe twice.

    Should I instead have referenced the infinite number of monkeys with an
    infinite number of typewriters scenario?

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2010
  8. john hamilton

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 12:44:05 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:40:06 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Should I instead have referenced the infinite number of monkeys with an
    >>infinite number of typewriters scenario?

    > Are you trying to insinuate there's an infinite number of monkeys in
    > this froup?

    < chortle >

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2010
  9. john hamilton

    chuckcar Guest

    "john hamilton" <> wrote in

    > My logitech cordless mouse sometimes makes the cursor go useless and
    > then it just recovers by itself five or ten minutes later and works
    > fine again. During the time that it plays up, I can use my corded
    > mouse (which I leave plugged in all the time, just in case I need to
    > switch to using it). The corded mouse works ok during the time the
    > cordless is not. Operating system is windows XP.
    >
    > We live in an end of terrace house and the house joined to mine is not
    > using a cordless mouse and so I would not get any interfering cordless
    > mouse signal from there.
    >
    > When it happens, I have gone to windows task manager and cannot see
    > anything suddenly using a lot of processing power. Might anyone have
    > a guess as to what might be going on? Thanks.

    1. Replace the batteries for the mouse.
    2. Try using a normal ps/2 or usb non-cordess mouse. Does it work any
    better?

    If so, then the problem *has* to be something to do with the mouse
    itself and the way it works. Do the instructions (you *did* read them
    completely before you ever hooked up the mouse right?) say anything
    about range? Do they mention any different troublshooting suggestions
    when resception is a problem?

    IF none of the above works, replace the thing. It's probably junk. In
    the last two years I've replaced more mice for not working at *all* - as
    in dying inside of 6 months than I have in the last 20 years. Mouse
    quality is on a definite decrease.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 7, 2010
  10. john hamilton

    gonzo Guest

    "john hamilton" <> wrote in message
    > My logitech cordless mouse sometimes makes the cursor go useless and then
    > it just recovers by itself five or ten minutes later and works fine again.
    > During the time that it plays up, I can use my corded mouse (which I leave
    > plugged in all the time, just in case I need to switch to using it). The
    > corded mouse works ok during the time the cordless is not. Operating
    > system is windows XP.
    >
    > We live in an end of terrace house and the house joined to mine is not
    > using a cordless mouse and so I would not get any interfering cordless
    > mouse signal from there.
    >
    > When it happens, I have gone to windows task manager and cannot see
    > anything suddenly using a lot of processing power. Might anyone have a
    > guess as to what might be going on? Thanks.

    Try a different USB port. I had problems with strange
    behaviour drom a Logitech cordless mouse, swiched to
    a different port, problem solved.

    gonzo, Mar 7, 2010
  11. john hamilton

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:08:55 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>1. Replace the batteries for the mouse.

    > Possible, but not likely.
    >
    >>2. Try using a normal ps/2 or usb non-cordess mouse. Does it work any
    >>better?

    > Do you know how to read chucktard?
    >
    > "The corded mouse works ok during the time the cordless is not."
    >
    > OP, feel free to ignore chucktard. As is evident of his (lack of)
    > reading comprehension, his advice can be ignored.

    I'm sure all the OP has to do is look at the last thread where we
    tangled to realize what a complete idiot and honey pot you really are.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2010
  12. john hamilton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <Xns9D34A3DF5C9AAchuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    writes
    >"john hamilton" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My logitech cordless mouse sometimes makes the cursor go useless and
    >> then it just recovers by itself five or ten minutes later and works
    >> fine again. During the time that it plays up, I can use my corded
    >> mouse (which I leave plugged in all the time, just in case I need to
    >> switch to using it). The corded mouse works ok during the time the
    >> cordless is not. Operating system is windows XP.
    >>
    >> We live in an end of terrace house and the house joined to mine is not
    >> using a cordless mouse and so I would not get any interfering cordless
    >> mouse signal from there.
    >>
    >> When it happens, I have gone to windows task manager and cannot see
    >> anything suddenly using a lot of processing power. Might anyone have
    >> a guess as to what might be going on? Thanks.
    >>

    >1. Replace the batteries for the mouse.
    >2. Try using a normal ps/2 or usb non-cordess mouse. Does it work any
    >better?
    >
    >If so, then the problem *has* to be something to do with the mouse
    >itself and the way it works. Do the instructions (you *did* read them
    >completely before you ever hooked up the mouse right?) say anything
    >about range? Do they mention any different troublshooting suggestions
    >when resception is a problem?
    >
    >IF none of the above works, replace the thing. It's probably junk. In
    >the last two years I've replaced more mice for not working at *all* - as
    >in dying inside of 6 months than I have in the last 20 years. Mouse
    >quality is on a definite decrease.

    It could be interference.

    I bought a £2 cordless mouse at a car boot sale. After about two years,
    every so often, the cursor would spontaneously start to drift slowly to
    the top of the screen. A couple of minutes later, everything was OK
    again. This 'feature' lasted a few days, then disappeared. I believe it
    only occurred again about a year later, and hasn't happened since.

    I got to wondering what had happened, and decided to measure the
    frequency used by the mouse. It turned out to be in the 27MHz CB band, I
    believe on FCC (or CEPT) channel 15. I therefore suspect that
    interference was the cause of the problem, but haven't bothered to
    investigate further.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Mar 15, 2010
  13. john hamilton

    chuckcar Guest

    Ian Jackson <> wrote in

    > In message <Xns9D34A3DF5C9AAchuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    > writes
    >>"john hamilton" <> wrote in

    > I bought a £2 cordless mouse at a car boot sale. After about two
    > years, every so often, the cursor would spontaneously start to drift
    > slowly to the top of the screen. A couple of minutes later, everything
    > was OK again. This 'feature' lasted a few days, then disappeared. I
    > believe it only occurred again about a year later, and hasn't happened
    > since.

    Pretty much the exact same symptoms I was getting from these mice.
    However they died *real* fast and about 1/3rd of the time or so the
    computer would say they weren't plugged in (I prefer ps/2 for both my
    keyboard and mouse, I dispise USB)

    > I got to wondering what had happened, and decided to measure the
    > frequency used by the mouse. It turned out to be in the 27MHz CB band,
    > I believe on FCC (or CEPT) channel 15. I therefore suspect that
    > interference was the cause of the problem, but haven't bothered to
    > investigate further.

    *exactly* 27.00 Mhz or close to it? CB frequencies have a bandwidth of
    only about 10Khz, so unless it's between 26.095 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz it
    wouldn't be picked up if you follow me. Besides there are regulations about
    electronic shielding and interference.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2010
  14. On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:32:50 +0000, Ian Jackson
    <> wrote:

    >I got to wondering what had happened, and decided to measure the
    >frequency used by the mouse. It turned out to be in the 27MHz CB band, I
    >believe on FCC (or CEPT) channel 15. I therefore suspect that
    >interference was the cause of the problem, but haven't bothered to
    >investigate further.

    I didn't realize some cordless mice used 27MHz. I thought they all
    used 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Mar 15, 2010
  15. john hamilton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <Xns9D3CB40CBA268chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    writes
    >Ian Jackson <> wrote in
    >
    >> In message <Xns9D34A3DF5C9AAchuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    >> writes
    >>>"john hamilton" <> wrote in

    >> I bought a £2 cordless mouse at a car boot sale. After about two
    >> years, every so often, the cursor would spontaneously start to drift
    >> slowly to the top of the screen. A couple of minutes later, everything
    >> was OK again. This 'feature' lasted a few days, then disappeared. I
    >> believe it only occurred again about a year later, and hasn't happened
    >> since.
    >>

    >Pretty much the exact same symptoms I was getting from these mice.
    >However they died *real* fast and about 1/3rd of the time or so the
    >computer would say they weren't plugged in (I prefer ps/2 for both my
    >keyboard and mouse, I dispise USB)
    >
    >> I got to wondering what had happened, and decided to measure the
    >> frequency used by the mouse. It turned out to be in the 27MHz CB band,
    >> I believe on FCC (or CEPT) channel 15. I therefore suspect that
    >> interference was the cause of the problem, but haven't bothered to
    >> investigate further.

    >*exactly* 27.00 Mhz or close to it? CB frequencies have a bandwidth of
    >only about 10Khz, so unless it's between 26.095 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz it
    >wouldn't be picked up if you follow me. Besides there are regulations about
    >electronic shielding and interference.

    It was exactly on one of the FCC CB channels. If it was Ch15, it would
    be 27.135MHz. [I did write it on a sticker on the mouse, but it
    eventually got rubbed off.]

    If you're really interested, the frequency allocation is here:
    <http://www.w2aee.columbia.edu/fcc-bandplan.html>

    This is the same as the European CEPT allocation:
    <http://www.grozzer.freeuk.com/info01.html>

    The problem hasn't occurred for at least two years, so it might have
    been interference - or it might not!
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Mar 16, 2010
  16. john hamilton

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    > *exactly* 27.00 Mhz or close to it? CB frequencies have a bandwidth of
    > only about 10Khz, so unless it's between 26.095 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz it
    > wouldn't be picked up if you follow me. Besides there are regulations
    > about
    > electronic shielding and interference.

    Bull Fucking Shit.

    rf, Mar 16, 2010
  17. john hamilton

    rf Guest

    "Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message

    > If you're really interested,

    Don't be ever really interested in anything this person says. It's all made
    up on the spot.

    rf, Mar 16, 2010
  18. john hamilton

    chuckcar Guest

    Ian Jackson <> wrote in

    > In message <Xns9D3CB40CBA268chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    > writes
    >>Ian Jackson <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In message <Xns9D34A3DF5C9AAchuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar
    >>> <> writes

    >>> I bought a £2 cordless mouse at a car boot sale. After about two
    >>> years, every so often, the cursor would spontaneously start to drift
    >>> slowly to the top of the screen. A couple of minutes later,
    >>> everything was OK again. This 'feature' lasted a few days, then
    >>> disappeared. I believe it only occurred again about a year later,
    >>> and hasn't happened since.
    >>>

    >>Pretty much the exact same symptoms I was getting from these mice.
    >>However they died *real* fast and about 1/3rd of the time or so the
    >>computer would say they weren't plugged in (I prefer ps/2 for both my
    >>keyboard and mouse, I dispise USB)
    >>
    >>> I got to wondering what had happened, and decided to measure the
    >>> frequency used by the mouse. It turned out to be in the 27MHz CB
    >>> band, I believe on FCC (or CEPT) channel 15. I therefore suspect
    >>> that interference was the cause of the problem, but haven't bothered
    >>> to investigate further.

    >>*exactly* 27.00 Mhz or close to it? CB frequencies have a bandwidth of
    >>only about 10Khz, so unless it's between 26.095 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz it
    >>wouldn't be picked up if you follow me. Besides there are regulations
    >>about electronic shielding and interference.
    >>

    > It was exactly on one of the FCC CB channels. If it was Ch15, it would
    > be 27.135MHz. [I did write it on a sticker on the mouse, but it
    > eventually got rubbed off.]

    That *should* have read ... 26.995 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz of course.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 18, 2010
  19. john hamilton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <Xns9D3F887158176chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    writes
    >Ian Jackson <> wrote in
    >
    >> In message <Xns9D3CB40CBA268chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    >> writes
    >>>Ian Jackson <> wrote in

    >>>Pretty much the exact same symptoms I was getting from these mice.
    >>>However they died *real* fast and about 1/3rd of the time or so the
    >>>computer would say they weren't plugged in (I prefer ps/2 for both my
    >>>keyboard and mouse, I dispise USB)

    >>>*exactly* 27.00 Mhz or close to it? CB frequencies have a bandwidth of
    >>>only about 10Khz, so unless it's between 26.095 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz it
    >>>wouldn't be picked up if you follow me. Besides there are regulations
    >>>about electronic shielding and interference.
    >>>

    >> It was exactly on one of the FCC CB channels. If it was Ch15, it would
    >> be 27.135MHz. [I did write it on a sticker on the mouse, but it
    >> eventually got rubbed off.]
    >>

    >That *should* have read ... 26.995 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz of course.

    What should?
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, Mar 18, 2010
  20. john hamilton

    chuckcar Guest

    Ian Jackson <> wrote in

    > In message <Xns9D3F887158176chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>

    >>> It was exactly on one of the FCC CB channels. If it was Ch15, it
    >>> would be 27.135MHz. [I did write it on a sticker on the mouse, but
    >>> it eventually got rubbed off.]
    >>>

    >>That *should* have read ... 26.995 Mhz and 27.005 Mhz of course.
    >>

    > What should?

    My post above. Part of the paragraph beginning with *exactly*.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 19, 2010