    http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25488.html?cprose=daily

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, May 11, 2007

  2. Frank ess

    Paul Furman Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Should a young photographer consider this kind of work as a potential
    > career? How good do you have to be to have your stuff here? Or is it
    > another Who-you-know deal?
    >
    > How about Corbis in general? What kind of background does one need, to
    > get some work listed there?
    >
    > Corbis Reinvents Accessibility to Celebrity Photography With Launch of
    > OutlineLive
    > http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25488.html?cprose=daily

    Sounds like their angle is low cost (low earnings) royalty free, etc.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 11, 2007

  3. Frank ess

    j. fabian Guest

    In article <>,
    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > Should a young photographer consider this kind of work as a potential
    > career? How good do you have to be to have your stuff here? Or is it
    > another Who-you-know deal?
    >
    > How about Corbis in general? What kind of background does one need, to
    > get some work listed there?

    Corbis is a stock house in the business of selling rights to
    photographs, like all other stock houses. They don't care who you are
    (unless you are really really famous), who you know, or what your
    background is. If they think they can sell your photos they will sign a
    contract with you. If they don't think they can make a profit, they
    won't bother with you.

    That being said all stock houses have their own procedures for portfolio
    review. Contact them if you think you want to do business with them.

    j f

    --
    well, it looked good on paper

    j. fabian, May 11, 2007
  4. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    j. fabian wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Should a young photographer consider this kind of work as a
    >> potential
    >> career? How good do you have to be to have your stuff here? Or is
    >> it
    >> another Who-you-know deal?
    >>
    >> How about Corbis in general? What kind of background does one need,
    >> to get some work listed there?

    > Corbis is a stock house in the business of selling rights to
    > photographs, like all other stock houses. They don't care who you
    > are
    > (unless you are really really famous), who you know, or what your
    > background is. If they think they can sell your photos they will
    > sign
    > a contract with you. If they don't think they can make a profit,
    > they
    > won't bother with you.
    >
    > That being said all stock houses have their own procedures for
    > portfolio review. Contact them if you think you want to do business
    > with them.

    Seems like good information for any young photographers out there.
    Thank you.

    --
    Frank ess
    Remembers where he was when Pearl Harbor was attacked ...

    Frank ess, May 11, 2007
  5. > Should a young photographer consider [shooting stock for
    > Corbis] as a potential career?

    Corbis, and stock in general, isn't a career. Photography
    can be a career but if you plan to make a decent living out
    of it, and you aren't a Capa or Adams or Cartier-Bresson, then
    going to RIT, Brooks, Art Center College of Design, etc. would
    be the best way. Though people do make a good living with weddings
    and portraits.

    Corbis is a big and well respected stock house. When you read
    a magazine look at the credits for the pictures, it will give
    an idea of who the big stock agencies are and who buys from them.

    Go the to the Corbis site and browse their offerings. See if
    your stuff will stand out, fit in, or get lost.

    --
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

    Nicholas O. Lindan, May 11, 2007
  6. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    "Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote in message
    >> Should a young photographer consider [shooting stock for
    >> Corbis] as a potential career?

    > Corbis, and stock in general, isn't a career. Photography
    > can be a career but if you plan to make a decent living out
    > of it, and you aren't a Capa or Adams or Cartier-Bresson, then
    > going to RIT, Brooks, Art Center College of Design, etc. would
    > be the best way. Though people do make a good living with weddings
    > and portraits.

    Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly: if your
    photos are truly saleable (not necessarily outstanding, mind you), consider
    that you can expect a buck a year on average per photo. Thus, if you need
    $40K a year from your stock biz, you need 40,000 saleable photos.

    --
    www.mattclara.com

    Matt Clara, May 11, 2007
  7. Frank ess

    Annika1980 Guest

    On May 11, 4:53 pm, "Matt Clara" <> wrote:

    > Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly: if your
    > photos are truly saleable (not necessarily outstanding, mind you), consider
    > that you can expect a buck a year on average per photo. Thus, if you need
    > $40K a year from your stock biz, you need 40,000 saleable photos.

    I don't buy those numbers, but even if true that's just a good weekend
    with the 20D!

    Annika1980, May 12, 2007
  8. Frank ess

    PossumTrot Guest

    "j. fabian" <fabian@don't.panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Should a young photographer consider this kind of work as a potential
    >> career? How good do you have to be to have your stuff here? Or is it
    >> another Who-you-know deal?
    >>
    >> How about Corbis in general? What kind of background does one need, to
    >> get some work listed there?

    > Corbis is a stock house in the business of selling rights to
    > photographs, like all other stock houses. They don't care who you are
    > (unless you are really really famous), who you know, or what your
    > background is. If they think they can sell your photos they will sign a
    > contract with you. If they don't think they can make a profit, they
    > won't bother with you.
    >
    > That being said all stock houses have their own procedures for portfolio
    > review. Contact them if you think you want to do business with them.

    FYI, If I'm not mistaken Corbis is personally owned by Bill Gates, i.e., not
    a division of Micro$oft.

    PossumTrot, May 12, 2007
  9. Frank ess

    ASAAR Guest

    On 11 May 2007 16:21:44 -0700, Annika1980, a real Dilly wrote:

    >> Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly: if your
    >> photos are truly saleable (not necessarily outstanding, mind you), consider
    >> that you can expect a buck a year on average per photo. Thus, if you need
    >> $40K a year from your stock biz, you need 40,000 saleable photos.

    > I don't buy those numbers, but even if true that's just a good weekend
    > with the 20D!

    You too, with you know who! :)

    ASAAR, May 12, 2007
  10. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On 11 May 2007 16:21:44 -0700, Annika1980, a real Dilly wrote:
    >
    >>> Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly: if
    >>> your
    >>> photos are truly saleable (not necessarily outstanding, mind you),
    >>> consider
    >>> that you can expect a buck a year on average per photo. Thus, if you
    >>> need
    >>> $40K a year from your stock biz, you need 40,000 saleable photos.

    >> I don't buy those numbers, but even if true that's just a good weekend
    >> with the 20D!

    Frankly, I don't buy those numbers, either. Still, even if it's a quarter
    of that, or one eighth that, point made.

    --
    www.mattclara.com

    Matt Clara, May 12, 2007
  11. Frank ess

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On May 11, 3:53 pm, "Matt Clara" <> wrote:

    > Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly:

    "THUSLY"?

    Good lord.

    Nervous Nick, May 12, 2007
  12. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    **** you, Nick: PLONK

    --
    www.mattclara.com

    Matt Clara, May 12, 2007
  13. Frank ess

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On May 12, 6:44 am, "Matt Clara" <> wrote:
    > "Nervous Nick" <> wrote in message

    > > On May 11, 3:53 pm, "Matt Clara" <> wrote:

    > >> Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly:

    > > "THUSLY"?

    > > Good lord.

    > **** you, Nick: PLONK

    Awww! Did I hurt his widdle feewings by pointing out an egregious
    grammatical blunder?

    Nervous Nick, May 12, 2007
  14. Frank ess

    JennyC Guest

    "PossumTrot" <> wrote in message

    > "j. fabian" <fabian@don't.panix.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Should a young photographer consider this kind of work as a potential
    >>> career? How good do you have to be to have your stuff here? Or is it
    >>> another Who-you-know deal?
    >>>
    >>> How about Corbis in general? What kind of background does one need, to
    >>> get some work listed there?

    >> Corbis is a stock house in the business of selling rights to
    >> photographs, like all other stock houses. They don't care who you are
    >> (unless you are really really famous), who you know, or what your
    >> background is. If they think they can sell your photos they will sign a
    >> contract with you. If they don't think they can make a profit, they
    >> won't bother with you.
    >>
    >> That being said all stock houses have their own procedures for portfolio
    >> review. Contact them if you think you want to do business with them.
    >>

    > FYI, If I'm not mistaken Corbis is personally owned by Bill Gates, i.e.,
    > not a division of Micro$oft.

    Indeed!
    http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/01/bill_gates_phot.html
    Jenny

    JennyC, May 12, 2007
  15. Frank ess

    Alan Browne Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Should a young photographer consider this kind of work as a potential
    > career? How good do you have to be to have your stuff here? Or is it
    > another Who-you-know deal?
    >
    > How about Corbis in general? What kind of background does one need, to
    > get some work listed there?
    >
    > Corbis Reinvents Accessibility to Celebrity Photography With Launch of
    > OutlineLive
    > http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25488.html?cprose=daily

    It never ceases to amaze me how people are infatuated with celebrities.
    If one considers the "Hollywood" ilk, there are less than 10 that I
    consider to be both talented and in real life good role models. The
    rest seem to be self-indulgent prats.

    Recently, the oh-so "talented" Paris Hilton was sentenced to pokey time
    for parole violation; a parole that resulted from a DUI. Nice to see
    the judge applying an even hand.

    Of course it's this self-indulgent behaviour that tabloids love to sell.
    I just wonder about the diseased minds that like to examine the sewer
    in detail.

    Kudos to Carole Burnett for suing The Enquirer.

    Kudos to those actors and actresses that appear rarely in these rags as
    they offer no garbage for the appetites of the masses who have no life.

    Cheers!
    Alan

    PS: If Corbis make Millions off of celebrity dirt, all the power to them!

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, May 12, 2007
  16. Frank ess

    ASAAR Guest

    On 12 May 2007 06:36:03 -0700, Nervous Nick spick:

    >>> "THUSLY"?

    >>> Good lord.

    >> **** you, Nick: PLONK

    > Awww! Did I hurt his widdle feewings by pointing out an egregious
    > grammatical blunder?

    Good lord, no! But your stupidity invited a cruditity (mow).
    Several authorities would educate you thusly :

    > Usage Note: Thusly was introduced in the 19th century as an alternative
    > to thus in sentences such as Hold it thus or He put it thus. It appears to
    > have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech
    > of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has
    > subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often
    > regarded as incorrect. A large majority of the Usage Panel found it
    > unacceptable in an earlier survey. In formal writing thus can still be used
    > as in the examples above; in other styles this way, like this, and other such
    > expressions are more natural.

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thusly

    and the University of Maryland broke it down with a quite lucid
    usage example that you may find edifying :

    > Non-Trivial Effort to Examine a Possible Exception to the
    > Binary of Ergodic and Linear
    > December 20th, 2006 by Kevin
    >
    > Espen Aarseth, in his book Cybertext: Perspectives on Ergodic Literature,
    > is quick to define ergodic literature as that which requires non-trivial effort
    > in order for the reader to traverse the text. However, this definition comes
    > under fire in that it does not differentiate ergodic texts from any others, for
    > surely other texts require more than just trivial reading and page turning to
    > traverse plots, characterizations, etc. Aarseth thusly differentiates ergodic
    > literature from other literature by claiming that the non-trivial effort in
    > ergodic texts results in non-linearity, that is the obfuscation of possible text,
    > and thusly possible plots, from the reader, dependent on the reader’s decisions.
    > In this way, ergodic literature is defined most narrowly as texts that require
    > non-trivial effort and consequences for the reader resulting from such effort.
    > This definition thusly sets up a binary between ergodic texts and linear texts.

    http://mith2.umd.edu/teaching/courses/f06/engl668k/?p=131

    :)

    ASAAR, May 12, 2007
  17. Frank ess

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On May 12, 9:29 am, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On 12 May 2007 06:36:03 -0700,Nervous Nickspick:

    > >> **** you, Nick: PLONK

    > > Awww! Did I hurt his widdle feewings by pointing out an egregious
    > > grammatical blunder?

    > Good lord, no! But your stupidity invited a cruditity (mow).
    > Several authorities would educate you thusly :

    Too funny:

    It appears to
    > > have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech
    > > of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has
    > > subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often
    > > regarded as incorrect.

    Cheers!

    ;>)

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, May 12, 2007
  18. Frank ess

    ASAAR Guest

    On 12 May 2007 08:36:47 -0700, Nervous Nick wrote:

    > Too funny:
    >
    > It appears to
    >>> have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech
    >>> of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has
    >>> subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often
    >>> regarded as incorrect.

    > Cheers!

    Back at'cha! :)

    ASAAR, May 12, 2007
  19. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On 12 May 2007 08:36:47 -0700, Nervous Nick wrote:
    >
    >> Too funny:
    >>
    >> It appears to

    >> Cheers!

    > Back at'cha! :)

    I guess you guys should go tell all the university profs that, 'cause
    according to them, incorrect it is not.
    And what a little girl this nervous nick is, lol.

    --
    www.mattclara.com

    Matt Clara, May 12, 2007
  20. "Matt Clara" <> wrote in message
    > "Nervous Nick" <> wrote in message
    >> On May 11, 3:53 pm, "Matt Clara" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly:

    >> "THUSLY"?
    >>
    >> Good lord.
    >>

    > **** you, Nick: PLONK

    Shouldn't that be, "Fucketh thee", and "I plonkith"?

    William Graham, May 13, 2007