    Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
    in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is it
    a civil offence only?
    Jimmy, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Jimmy

    Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:27:35 -0000, "Jimmy" <> wrote:

    |> Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
    |> in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is it
    |> a civil offence only?

    Searching Slashdot.org should give good results.

    --
    , Jan 2, 2005

  3. Jimmy

    Marc Townson Guest

    Marc Townson, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Jimmy

    Jono Guest

    "Marc Townson" <> wrote in message
    > Yes people are still geting fined for it.
    > Do a quick search on google news:
    > http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=Copyright violation&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wn

    I have not seen anybody in the UK fined for "using" copied software or
    music, I am specifically asking about "users" not distributors and I'm
    asking specifically about the UK, to my knowledge not one person has yet
    been convicted or sued.

    Jono, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Jimmy

    EricP Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:27:35 -0000, "Jimmy" <> wrote:

    >Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
    >in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is it
    >a civil offence only?

    In England & Wales, you can't be prosecuted for copyright violation,
    its a Civil wrong. Only damages can be sought against you, and these
    assess the loss the copyright holder made by you doing it.
    EricP, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Jimmy

    Bobby Guest

    "EricP" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:27:35 -0000, "Jimmy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright
    >>violation
    >>in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is
    >>it
    >>a civil offence only?
    >>

    > In England & Wales, you can't be prosecuted for copyright violation,
    > its a Civil wrong. Only damages can be sought against you, and these
    > assess the loss the copyright holder made by you doing it.

    That may explain why I've never seen anybody being sued for using a software
    program, especially as in many cases the cost of suing someone would many
    times outweight the cost of the actual software they were using or hte music
    they were using.
    Bobby, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Jimmy

    Conor Guest

    In article <cr9huu$sjb$>, Jimmy says...
    > Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
    > in the UK?

    Yes, my mate. He was selling dodgy PS2 games on a market stall in South
    Yorkshire. Got a £2000 fine plus shitloads of community service. He
    would have had a prison sentence but apparently the local prisons were
    over filled at the time.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Jimmy

    Conor Guest

    In article <cr9p45$so4$>, Jono says...

    > "Marc Townson" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes people are still geting fined for it.
    > > Do a quick search on google news:
    > > http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=Copyright violation&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wn

    > I have not seen anybody in the UK fined for "using" copied software or
    > music, I am specifically asking about "users" not distributors and I'm
    > asking specifically about the UK, to my knowledge not one person has yet
    > been convicted or sued.

    BSA bring companies to court all the time for using unlicenced
    Windows/MS Office for example.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Jimmy

    Conor Guest

    In article <cra9i1$qd7$>, Bobby says...

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02/20/bsa_informant_gets_163_1000s/

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Jimmy

    Bobby Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cra9i1$qd7$>, Bobby says...
    >

    >> That may explain why I've never seen anybody being sued for using a
    >> software
    >> program, especially as in many cases the cost of suing someone would many
    >> times outweight the cost of the actual software they were using or hte
    >> music
    >> they were using.
    >>

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02/20/bsa_informant_gets_163_1000s/
    >
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
    > -- George Patton

    Hi Conor

    that is one of the largest companies in the UK, they were using 400 copies
    of office. And again it was not criminal it was a civil case and again it
    did not go to court even.

    So my point is that please can anybody show me one single episode in the
    entire history of the universe where a single private home user was ever
    taken to court. If they dont' take a huge corporation like Bainst and Earnst
    to court for using pirated software as I said due to the cost, then how in
    the world could anybody imagine that a single private user individual is
    going to get taken to court and sued.

    These are all civil offenses, and as long as you don't "sell" pirated
    software you are not breaking the criminal law of the land and therefore
    cannot go to jail....and cannot get a criminal record.

    So my point, is what real and solid deterant is there against using copied
    software for users? If country like the UK has 25% of copied software being
    used in business, without one single private small business person being
    sued ever int he history of the world, then what is it like in other
    countries??
    Bobby, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Jimmy

    Bobby Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cr9huu$sjb$>, Jimmy says...
    >> Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright
    >> violation
    >> in the UK?

    > Yes, my mate. He was selling dodgy PS2 games on a market stall in South
    > Yorkshire. Got a £2000 fine plus shitloads of community service. He
    > would have had a prison sentence but apparently the local prisons were
    > over filled at the time.
    >
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
    > -- George Patton

    Yes Conor, but that is a totally different thing all together, it is not
    anything to do with copyrite violations, he is breaking other criminal laws
    that involve fraud, fraud and deception are criminal offenses, he was
    cheating people, he wasn't breaking a copyrite violation.

    A copyrite violation is if you make a copy of a CD and lend it to your
    freind or give it, but if you copied that CD and started selling them for
    profit, you are defrauding people..and it is deception..Hence the reason it
    differs in the eyes of the law, eg. it is a criminal offence and not a civil
    offense.
    Bobby, Jan 3, 2005