    Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs
    and DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.

    Philip
    Philip, Apr 9, 2006

  2. Philip

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    news:44386fff$...
    >A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    >would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >
    > Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    > written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far their
    > head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.
    >
    > Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs and
    > DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.
    >
    > Philip

    Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come in a
    shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.

    after you made your purchase and took it home and decided that for what ever
    reason you didn't want it and wanted it refunded new world can say no
    because there is no way of proving that you have not made a copy of the cd
    or dvd it self and for new world it is unable to be resold or returned for a
    credit.
    krazy Bob, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Philip

    J Brockley Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    >would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >
    > Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    > written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far their
    > head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.
    >
    > Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs and
    > DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.
    >
    > Philip

    Been the norm at the Warehouse for months so you can't take it home copy it
    and the return it.
    J Brockley, Apr 9, 2006
  4. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:19:48 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    > would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >
    > Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    > written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    > their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.
    >
    > Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs
    > and DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.
    >
    > Philip

    Of course they really should add "if the item is faulty it can be returned
    under the Consumer Guarantee Act"
    wogers nemesis, Apr 9, 2006
  5. Philip

    krazy Bob Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:19:48 +1200, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    >> would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >>
    >> Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    >> written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    >> their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs
    >> and DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.
    >>
    >> Philip

    > Of course they really should add "if the item is faulty it can be returned
    > under the Consumer Guarantee Act"

    Which any Bp Connect Site does anyway :p

    KB
    krazy Bob, Apr 9, 2006
  6. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:19:48 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    > would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what these regulations are and where they are
    > written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    > their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.

    That's probably because those "copyright regulations" don't exist.

    According to the consumer guarantees act if the goods don't work properly
    then you can get them exchanged for ones that do work - clearly
    contrary to the sign that you mention, and I don't think they can get out
    of that simply by putting up a sign.

    I think it's reasonable, however, with CDs and DVDs to refuse a refund for
    any other reason other than the goods are defective - especially if there
    is a sign stating that policy.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
    that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006
  7. Philip

    repent Guest

    "krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come in

    > shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.

    they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?

    i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet more
    scratching).

    nz the land of many retarded retailers.
    repent, Apr 9, 2006
  8. Philip

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:12:39 +1200, "repent" <> wrote:

    >"krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come in

    >> shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.
    >>

    >they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?
    >
    >i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    >taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    >paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet more
    >scratching).

    Good luck with DVDs. They have to unwrap them to put the oversized NZ
    classification sticker on them.
    Invisible, Apr 9, 2006
  9. On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:29:10 +1200, "krazy Bob" <>
    wrote:

    >"Philip" <> wrote in message
    >>A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    >>would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >>
    >> Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    >> written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far their
    >> head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs and
    >> DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.
    >>
    >> Philip

    >Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come in a
    >shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.
    >
    >after you made your purchase and took it home and decided that for what ever
    >reason you didn't want it and wanted it refunded new world can say no
    >because there is no way of proving that you have not made a copy of the cd
    >or dvd it self and for new world it is unable to be resold or returned for a
    >credit.

    Which is fairly relevent now that its fairly easy (and common) to copy
    CD's, DVD's and software but places like Noel Leeming have had this
    policy well before DVD writers were common. I can see the point of
    this policy now but 5 years ago it was unnecessary.

    Also with software, once the registration code has been used and/or
    the product registered online it can't be reused (e.g. Half Life 2)
    Jason Clinton, Apr 9, 2006
  10. Philip

    krazy Bob Guest

    "repent" <> wrote in message

    > "krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come
    >> in

    >> shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.
    >>

    > they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?
    >
    > i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    > taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    > paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet
    > more
    > scratching).
    >
    > nz the land of many retarded retailers.

    All BP Connect Stores sell cd/dvd shrink wraped.
    the only down side is, they are all $29-39.95 where you can get them much
    cheaper say at the warehouse

    KB
    krazy Bob, Apr 9, 2006
  11. Philip

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:12:39 +1200, "repent" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come
    >>> in

    >>> shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.
    >>>

    >>they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?
    >>
    >>i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    >>taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    >>paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet
    >>more
    >>scratching).
    >>

    > Good luck with DVDs. They have to unwrap them to put the oversized NZ
    > classification sticker on them.

    On the dvd them self??

    KB
    krazy Bob, Apr 9, 2006
  12. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:42:27 +1200, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:12:39 +1200, "repent" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come in

    >>> shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.
    >>>

    >>they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?
    >>
    >>i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    >>taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    >>paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet more
    >>scratching).
    >>

    >Good luck with DVDs. They have to unwrap them to put the oversized NZ
    >classification sticker on them.

    That's what I've heard but surely the major movie companies (Roadshow
    etc...) can afford to buy a shrinkwrapping machine? Given the numbers
    of DVD's they must put through it wouldn't cost them that much.

    LOTR was shrinkwrapped but I think that was done at the source due to
    the expected huge numbers to be sold.

    I've also seen some budget DVD's (the $5 stuff) which are
    shrinkwrapped. I've also seen the odd one with the ratings sticker
    stuck to the shrinkwrap instead of the case!
    Jason Clinton, Apr 9, 2006
  13. Philip

    Peter Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:19:48 +1200, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    >> would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what these regulations are and where they are
    >> written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    >> their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.

    > That's probably because those "copyright regulations" don't exist.

    If a retailer allows CD's to be returned willy-nilly on a regular basis
    there could be a presumption that the retailer s aiding and abetting the
    breach of copyright.
    Peter, Apr 9, 2006
  14. Philip

    Jerry Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    > would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >
    > Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    > written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    > their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.
    >
    > Meanwhile Real Groovy is doing a flourishing trade in second hand CDs
    > and DVDs, so it can't be that illegal.
    >
    > Philip

    not entirely on this topic, but accoring to
    http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3632636a1860,00.html the person that
    stole the movie Sione's Wedding was caught and dealt with by the company
    without police involvement, but they want to prosecute anyone that
    distributes it or even watches it. If they don't bother to prosecute
    the original thief, how can we take subsequent concerns of theirs
    seriously? Why should criminal #1 go free, and they threaten someone
    with $150,000 and 5 years inprisonment for just watching a movie. I
    hope their movie flops big time!
    Jerry, Apr 9, 2006
  15. Philip

    BrentC Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:23:13 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:19:48 +1200, Philip wrote:
    >>
    >>> A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    >>> would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any idea what these regulations are and where they are
    >>> written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    >>> their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.

    >> That's probably because those "copyright regulations" don't exist.
    >>

    >If a retailer allows CD's to be returned willy-nilly on a regular basis
    >there could be a presumption that the retailer s aiding and abetting the
    >breach of copyright.

    Yep - but you can't get out of the Consumer Guarantee's act - if the
    goods aren't fit for their purpose - you have legal remedies available
    to you
    BrentC, Apr 9, 2006
  16. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:23:13 +1200, Peter wrote:

    >> That's probably because those "copyright regulations" don't exist.
    >>

    > If a retailer allows CD's to be returned willy-nilly on a regular basis
    > there could be a presumption that the retailer s aiding and abetting the
    > breach of copyright.

    Are you able to cite and quote these so-called regulations?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006
  17. Philip

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:12:39 +1200, "repent" <> wrote:

    >"krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Basically as it stands, you buy a cd or dvd from new world it will come in

    >> shrink wrap case or the cd or dvd it self will be shrink wraped.
    >>

    >they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?
    >
    >i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    >taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    >paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet more
    >scratching).

    We sell them where I work and they arrive in the sleves with the jewel case
    seperate. I guess it's to stop them being stolen.
    Craig Shore, Apr 9, 2006
  18. Philip

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:19:48 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > A sign went up last week in the local New World saying that CDs and DVDs
    > would not be exchanged or refunded "due to copyright regulations".
    >
    > Does anyone have ny idea what these regulations are and where they are
    > written down? No-one in New World had the slightest idea, and so far
    > their head office hasn't replied to my e-mail.

    It's a scam: there is nothing in the regulations that make it illegal.

    It's simply a misdirection instead of saying 'we won't refund on
    entertainment because we think you might have copied it', without having to
    actually PROVE you did.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #334762 +(4676)- [X]

    <UKDJ|Planet> I swear to god
    <UKDJ|Planet> I've just heard a duck tell a joke
    <Jock> o...k
    <UKDJ|Planet> there was as group of ducks on a pond near where i live
    <UKDJ|Planet> one of the ducks was quacking away looking straight at a
    group of like 10 ducks
    <UKDJ|Planet> then he stopped and all the other ducks went mental
    <UKDJ|Planet> it looked just like duck stand-up comedy

    Note: All my comments are copyright 9/04/2006 4:35:11 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 9, 2006
  19. Philip

    XPD Guest

    "repent" <> wrote in message
    > they sell shrinkwrapped cd/dvds ?
    >
    > i wish more shops would leave stock shrinkwrapped instead of insisting on
    > taking discs out of their case (scratch), putting them into those stupid
    > paper sleeves ( more scratching) and then replacing them when sold (yet
    > more
    > scratching).
    >
    > nz the land of many retarded retailers.

    Shrinkwrapping isnt always as good as you think.
    I purchased a game from Warehouse years ago and it was all shrink wrapped
    (box and CD cases) yet when I opened the CD case, one of the CDs had a huge
    deep scratch on it.... it if hadnt have been shrinkwrapped, I wouldve
    noticed that scratch and saved myself the trouble of getting a refund :)
    XPD, Apr 9, 2006
  20. Philip

    Peter Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:23:13 +1200, Peter wrote:
    >
    >>> That's probably because those "copyright regulations" don't exist.
    >>>

    >> If a retailer allows CD's to be returned willy-nilly on a regular basis
    >> there could be a presumption that the retailer s aiding and abetting the
    >> breach of copyright.

    > Are you able to cite and quote these so-called regulations?

    Common law - that is to say a distillation of previous cases (including
    those in UK, Canada Australia, etc). I am talking about civil action here
    - the standard of proof is lower.

    The Copyright Act criminalises copyright piracy and general criminal law
    covers aiding and abetting etc. In practice it is doubtful that there
    would be sufficient evidence 'beyond reasonable doubt' for a prosecution to
    be laid.
    Peter, Apr 9, 2006