Copyright my entire site? Digimarc ? Other?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I’m close to launching a brand new site that my wife and I
    have worked very hard to build that contains beautiful pictures and
    text (stories).
    It just happened that somebody stole one page of my primary business’
    website and used it for his own, so I realize that I better think
    about copyright issues before launching the new one and being robbed
    again.

    (BTW, I am not sure about what to do about the stolen page me an
    entire big page from my primary business site, to use it in his own
    (this just happened and I’m not sure what I’m going to do), now I
    realize that I’m not going to upload my brand new site,containing
    hundreds of beautiful pictures I took after traveling all around the
    world, just to be robed again, so my questions are:

    I just checked the Digimarc site and I like what thy offer. They have
    3 pricing levels: Portfolio, Collection, and Professional, and only
    the more expensive “Professional” assures the “tracking” option. Is
    this important?

    Does this mean that Digimarc does the tracking or they offer the tools
    so I do the tracking? Can I do the tracking myself?

    I do not have many images, so I’ll prefer to go with the less
    expensive Collection (3000 images).

    Besides the pictures, what to do next to have the best protection
    regarding the entire home site itself?

    What to do to protect/Copyright not only my pictures, but my
    home site design, text and others as well?

    I’ll appreciate any help regarding this matter, and of course you
    are going the first to know as soon my new site is ready to see.

    (BTW: I am not sure what to do about the unauthorized use of my other
    website.
    I called the thief and he reacted like an idiot, saying that maybe I
    stole from his webmaster instead. Do I need to call a lawyer?)

    Thanks in advance
    Paul
     
    Paul, Sep 17, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paul

    Peter Guest

    When it comes to websites there are only two irrevocable truths.

    1. Get over yourself.

    2. Don't post anything you don't want stolen.

    Copyrighting, Digimarc and the thousand other methods used to try
    and protect content are all useless against a simple PrintScreen on
    any Windows computer in the world. That is the bottom line.

    As for the other website, Google for "cease and desist" and send
    a notarized copy to the administrator who hosts his site. It'll be
    taken down within a few days.

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm close to launching a brand new site that my wife and I
    > have worked very hard to build that contains beautiful pictures and
    > text (stories).
    > It just happened that somebody stole one page of my primary business'
    > website and used it for his own, so I realize that I better think
    > about copyright issues before launching the new one and being robbed
    > again.
    >
    > (BTW, I am not sure about what to do about the stolen page me an
    > entire big page from my primary business site, to use it in his own
    > (this just happened and I'm not sure what I'm going to do), now I
    > realize that I'm not going to upload my brand new site,containing
    > hundreds of beautiful pictures I took after traveling all around the
    > world, just to be robed again, so my questions are:
    >
    > I just checked the Digimarc site and I like what thy offer. They have
    > 3 pricing levels: Portfolio, Collection, and Professional, and only
    > the more expensive "Professional" assures the "tracking" option. Is
    > this important?
    >
    > Does this mean that Digimarc does the tracking or they offer the tools
    > so I do the tracking? Can I do the tracking myself?
    >
    > I do not have many images, so I'll prefer to go with the less
    > expensive Collection (3000 images).
    >
    > Besides the pictures, what to do next to have the best protection
    > regarding the entire home site itself?
    >
    > What to do to protect/Copyright not only my pictures, but my
    > home site design, text and others as well?
    >
    > I'll appreciate any help regarding this matter, and of course you
    > are going the first to know as soon my new site is ready to see.
    >
    > (BTW: I am not sure what to do about the unauthorized use of my other
    > website.
    > I called the thief and he reacted like an idiot, saying that maybe I
    > stole from his webmaster instead. Do I need to call a lawyer?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Paul
     
    Peter, Sep 17, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Paul

    Frank ess Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > I'm close to launching a brand new site that my wife and I
    > have worked very hard to build that contains beautiful pictures and
    > text (stories).
    > It just happened that somebody stole one page of my primary
    > business'
    > website and used it for his own, so I realize that I better think
    > about copyright issues before launching the new one and being robbed
    > again.
    >
    > (BTW, I am not sure about what to do about the stolen page me an
    > entire big page from my primary business site, to use it in his own
    > (this just happened and I'm not sure what I'm going to do), now I
    > realize that I'm not going to upload my brand new site,containing
    > hundreds of beautiful pictures I took after traveling all around the
    > world, just to be robed again, so my questions are:
    >
    > I just checked the Digimarc site and I like what thy offer. They
    > have
    > 3 pricing levels: Portfolio, Collection, and Professional, and only
    > the more expensive "Professional" assures the "tracking" option. Is
    > this important?
    >
    > Does this mean that Digimarc does the tracking or they offer the
    > tools
    > so I do the tracking? Can I do the tracking myself?
    >
    > I do not have many images, so I'll prefer to go with the less
    > expensive Collection (3000 images).
    >
    > Besides the pictures, what to do next to have the best protection
    > regarding the entire home site itself?
    >
    > What to do to protect/Copyright not only my pictures, but my
    > home site design, text and others as well?
    >
    > I'll appreciate any help regarding this matter, and of course you
    > are going the first to know as soon my new site is ready to see.
    >
    > (BTW: I am not sure what to do about the unauthorized use of my
    > other
    > website.
    > I called the thief and he reacted like an idiot, saying that maybe I
    > stole from his webmaster instead. Do I need to call a lawyer?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance


    I have seen these exact questions discussed by the knowledgeable,
    helpful, usually courteous posters at
    alt.www.webmaster.

    Essentially, you should put nothing online you are not willing to
    share. If it is there, it can be had. Deface or otherwise reduce the
    usefulness of your pictures as presented for free. For my part, I
    usually don't think ill of someone printing a 4x6 from my work, but
    larger should cost them. If you have a "Hang in there, Baby" gem,
    nothing bigger than 300x200 should be accessible without a credit card
    number.

    If you are doing the site just to show off and share, don't worry
    about copyright of the other 2,999 images. If it is a
    pictures-for-sale site, get advice from the professionals, and start
    looking for a good Intellctual Property attorney. At least by a few
    books from Nolo Press.

    Did you actually read what Digimark's services are? Better be certain
    before plunking down any money.

    A lawyer will write a letter to the "idiot's" ISP, and the Idiot and
    his webmaster will find themselves searching for a new place to ply
    their thefts. ISPs have a lot to lose, and for the most part will
    dismiss a thief rather than suffer the process of investigation and
    compensation.

    Was your site made to an available template? There are a lot of Web
    sites out there. Could be chance. Could be theft. You can show the
    date of origin of your work, right?

    Maybe this perspective on a few of myriad potential problems will help
    you think about your project.

    --
    Frank ess
    "I can't sing, but I know how to,
    which is quite different."
    -- Noel Coward
     
    Frank ess, Sep 17, 2005
    #3
  4. Paul

    Marvin Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > I’m close to launching a brand new site that my wife and I
    > have worked very hard to build that contains beautiful pictures and
    > text (stories).
    > It just happened that somebody stole one page of my primary business’
    > website and used it for his own, so I realize that I better think
    > about copyright issues before launching the new one and being robbed
    > again.
    >
    > (BTW, I am not sure about what to do about the stolen page me an
    > entire big page from my primary business site, to use it in his own
    > (this just happened and I’m not sure what I’m going to do), now I
    > realize that I’m not going to upload my brand new site,containing
    > hundreds of beautiful pictures I took after traveling all around the
    > world, just to be robed again, so my questions are:
    >
    > I just checked the Digimarc site and I like what thy offer. They have
    > 3 pricing levels: Portfolio, Collection, and Professional, and only
    > the more expensive “Professional” assures the “tracking” option. Is
    > this important?
    >
    > Does this mean that Digimarc does the tracking or they offer the tools
    > so I do the tracking? Can I do the tracking myself?
    >
    > I do not have many images, so I’ll prefer to go with the less
    > expensive Collection (3000 images).
    >
    > Besides the pictures, what to do next to have the best protection
    > regarding the entire home site itself?
    >
    > What to do to protect/Copyright not only my pictures, but my
    > home site design, text and others as well?
    >
    > I’ll appreciate any help regarding this matter, and of course you
    > are going the first to know as soon my new site is ready to see.
    >
    > (BTW: I am not sure what to do about the unauthorized use of my other
    > website.
    > I called the thief and he reacted like an idiot, saying that maybe I
    > stole from his webmaster instead. Do I need to call a lawyer?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Paul


    The creator(s) of the Web pages and the photos own the copyright automatically, unless it
    was "work for Hire, meaning that the creator was paid for the work. Absent an agreement
    that says otherwise, even if you hired someone else ot make your Web site, the copyright
    should be yours.

    Like a patent, a copyright is often described as a "right to sue", since that is the
    ultimate way to enforce either one. Legal enforcement costs money; do you want to spend it?

    A copyright can be registered, and that can make legal enforcement easier. For a lot of
    information on U.S. copyright law for the layman, go to the U.S. copyright office site:
    http://www.copyright.gov/. There are other informative sites on the Web that you can find
    with google or another search engine.
     
    Marvin, Sep 17, 2005
    #4
  5. "Peter" <> writes:

    > When it comes to websites there are only two irrevocable truths.
    >
    > 1. Get over yourself.
    >
    > 2. Don't post anything you don't want stolen.
    >
    > Copyrighting, Digimarc and the thousand other methods used to try
    > and protect content are all useless against a simple PrintScreen on
    > any Windows computer in the world. That is the bottom line.
    >
    > As for the other website, Google for "cease and desist" and send
    > a notarized copy to the administrator who hosts his site. It'll be
    > taken down within a few days.


    The next level of threat is a suit for damages. Statutory damages.
    Make sure you have satisfied the preconditions -- in particular
    registration. In fact, talk to a lawyer early, copyright law has lots
    of ins and outs, and is relatively fast-moving after two centuries of
    being fairly static. The great thing about statutory damages is you
    don't have to prove financial loss to collect. This is very useful in
    web-related cases.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 17, 2005
    #5
  6. Paul

    Frank ess Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> I’m close to launching a brand new site that my wife and I
    >> have worked very hard to build that contains beautiful pictures and
    >> text (stories).


    <snip>

    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Paul

    >
    > The creator(s) of the Web pages and the photos own the copyright
    > automatically, unless it was "work for Hire, meaning that the
    > creator
    > was paid for the work. Absent an agreement that says otherwise,
    > even
    > if you hired someone else ot make your Web site, the copyright
    > should
    > be yours.
    > Like a patent, a copyright is often described as a "right to sue",
    > since that is the ultimate way to enforce either one. Legal
    > enforcement costs money; do you want to spend it?
    > A copyright can be registered, and that can make legal enforcement
    > easier. For a lot of information on U.S. copyright law for the
    > layman, go to the U.S. copyright office site:
    > http://www.copyright.gov/. There are other informative sites on the
    > Web that you can find with google or another search engine.


    Right. I forgot to mention
    http://editorialphotographers.com/
    a fine resource for serious shooters.

    --
    Frank ess
     
    Frank ess, Sep 17, 2005
    #6
  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Many thanks to Peter, Frank, Marvin and David for your help.

    Regarding the problem that moved me to post my original message,
    the guy that had copied my business home page has now removed
    most of it from his site. He still uses some information but has
    changed the format, colors and syntax and I am happy that he
    (somehow) did the right thing.

    This was warning enough, and this week I will contact the
    U.S.Copyright office to learn how to register and copyright as much
    of my site as possible.

    I just added some code I found in the web that disables the right
    click most people use to download pictures from web pages. It even
    works with browsers such as Firefox, and although a good hacker
    will find a way, this is meant to discourage occasional web-thieves.

    BTW: What if I build my web photo galleries in Macromedia Flash
    format? Will pictures be more difficult to download?

    I was very enthusiastic about Digimark, but it seems it is just
    another way to tag the copyright notice to pictures, not too
    different to the metadata file anyone can fill using Adobe Photoshop,
    Bridge or similar softwares. The advantage of Digimark seems to be
    that the photographer data is embedded on the entire picture file and
    nobody can mess with it, right? I wander why it has not become more
    popular then.

    I'm my own webmaster. I have installed the complete Adobe Creative
    Suite CS2, but I assemble, upload, and manage my site with Microsoft
    Front Page 2003. It would be useful if there was some encryption
    software that I can use with Front Page to better protect my sites
    before uploading them to the servers.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,
    Paul.























    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:32:34 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Marvin wrote:
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> I’m close to launching a brand new site that my wife and I
    >>> have worked very hard to build that contains beautiful pictures and
    >>> text (stories).

    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Paul

    >>
    >> The creator(s) of the Web pages and the photos own the copyright
    >> automatically, unless it was "work for Hire, meaning that the
    >> creator
    >> was paid for the work. Absent an agreement that says otherwise,
    >> even
    >> if you hired someone else ot make your Web site, the copyright
    >> should
    >> be yours.
    >> Like a patent, a copyright is often described as a "right to sue",
    >> since that is the ultimate way to enforce either one. Legal
    >> enforcement costs money; do you want to spend it?
    >> A copyright can be registered, and that can make legal enforcement
    >> easier. For a lot of information on U.S. copyright law for the
    >> layman, go to the U.S. copyright office site:
    >> http://www.copyright.gov/. There are other informative sites on the
    >> Web that you can find with google or another search engine.

    >
    >Right. I forgot to mention
    >http://editorialphotographers.com/
    >a fine resource for serious shooters.
     
    Paul, Sep 20, 2005
    #7
  8. Paul

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:11:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Paul
    <> wrote:

    >I just added some code I found in the web that disables the right
    >click most people use to download pictures from web pages. It even
    >works with browsers such as Firefox, and although a good hacker
    >will find a way, this is meant to discourage occasional web-thieves.


    Hacker? It's a simple push of the print screen button, trip the browser
    cache. Also at the same time you have removed the ability to open things in
    a new browser tab or window. So you are changing how I would normally use
    my browser, which is a very quick way to piss me off and make me go
    somewhere else.Yes, it's your site and content, BUT you want me to view it
    right? That's why you're posting it. So why want to control how I do that?
    I may be a minority, but sites that do anything to change how my browser
    window(s) are configured aren't ones I usually go back to.

    >BTW: What if I build my web photo galleries in Macromedia Flash
    >format? Will pictures be more difficult to download?


    What is the purpose of your site? Is it for people to use? You can't
    bookmark individual photos/pages if in flash and may folks are turned off
    by need to dl and install additional software to view something. Everything
    you're thing of here make the site more difficult to use. Hell, just
    password protect it and have people register for a password, because the
    bottom line as others have said is if you post it it is easily copied,
    plain and simple

    >I was very enthusiastic about Digimark, but it seems it is just
    >another way to tag the copyright notice to pictures, not too
    >different to the metadata file anyone can fill using Adobe Photoshop,
    >Bridge or similar softwares. The advantage of Digimark seems to be
    >that the photographer data is embedded on the entire picture file and
    >nobody can mess with it, right? I wander why it has not become more
    >popular then.


    Does it really provide protection? No. All it providers is maybe a better
    evidence when you go to trial, at an additional cost.

    >I'm my own webmaster. I have installed the complete Adobe Creative
    >Suite CS2, but I assemble, upload, and manage my site with Microsoft
    >Front Page 2003. It would be useful if there was some encryption
    >software that I can use with Front Page to better protect my sites
    >before uploading them to the servers.


    Sounds like web pages are the wrong forum to post your work. Or post very
    small copies of images on the pages and publish the full work in an
    encrypted PDF file, though 15 sec and an old copy of Ghostscript can defeat
    that easily as well.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html
     
    Ed Ruf, Sep 20, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Aaron Queenan

    Digimarc special offer (Only until end of year)

    Aaron Queenan, Dec 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    851
    Tony Spadaro
    Dec 31, 2003
  2. Colin B
    Replies:
    195
    Views:
    3,184
    Colin B
    Jan 19, 2007
  3. JC Dill
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    397
    JC Dill
    Dec 29, 2006
  4. TO
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    866
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    510
Loading...

Share This Page