Copyright Infringment Solution! What do you think!? LOL

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BCarnathan, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. BCarnathan

    BCarnathan Guest

    BCarnathan, Jan 6, 2004

  2. BCarnathan

    bob Guest

    "BCarnathan" <> wrote in
    news::

    > What's-Her-Name linked her personal ad background to a flower picture
    > on my web site. So I updated her personal ad with a bug and some text
    > - what do you think?!

    Fantastic!!

    Bob

    bob, Jan 6, 2004

  3. So ...how did you do that?

    --
    Best regards,
    Craig Scheiner

    Craig Scheiner, Jan 6, 2004
  4. BCarnathan

    Tumbleweed Guest

    > http://members.blackplanet.com/APRYLAKAMZTHANG/
    >

    > What's-Her-Name linked her personal ad background to a flower picture on

    my
    > web site. So I updated her personal ad with a bug and some text - what do
    > you think?!
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Bryan

    LOL! Nice one. 10 out of 10 for subtlety as well, you could have put
    something much worse there :)

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

    Tumbleweed, Jan 6, 2004
  5. BCarnathan

    Tumbleweed Guest

    She is dumb enough to just link directly through to the picture so he just
    changed the picture that is referenced. I beleive if you really want to
    there is a way of detecting that and stopping it.(ie you can see they didnt
    from from where they should have and dont allow the link)

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

    Tumbleweed, Jan 6, 2004
  6. "BCarnathan" <> writes:

    > http://members.blackplanet.com/APRYLAKAMZTHANG/
    >

    > What's-Her-Name linked her personal ad background to a flower picture on my
    > web site. So I updated her personal ad with a bug and some text - what do
    > you think?!

    I think you need bigger type. And something more disgusting than the bug.

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin

    Stephen H. Westin, Jan 6, 2004
  7. BCarnathan

    BCarnathan Guest

    Yeah - I had some heavy-duty suggestions!

    :)

    BCarnathan, Jan 6, 2004
  8. BCarnathan

    BCarnathan Guest

    You are right - on both accounts. But, I want to be able to link to my
    pictures myself - so I will just watch the logs for offenders.

    :)

    Bryan

    BCarnathan, Jan 6, 2004
  9. BCarnathan

    Sloopy Guest

    In article <>,
    "BCarnathan" <> wrote:

    > http://members.blackplanet.com/APRYLAKAMZTHANG/
    >

    > What's-Her-Name linked her personal ad background to a flower picture on my
    > web site. So I updated her personal ad with a bug and some text - what do
    > you think?!
    >
    > :)

    There seems to be no intelligent life on that planet, Captain.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Jan 6, 2004
  10. BCarnathan

    Another Bob Guest

    BCarnathan wrote:

    > http://members.blackplanet.com/APRYLAKAMZTHANG/
    >

    > What's-Her-Name linked her personal ad background to a flower picture on
    > my web site. So I updated her personal ad with a bug and some text - what
    > do you think?!
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Bryan

    I think this is about as awful a web page as one can create without using
    Flash.

    Another Bob, Jan 6, 2004
  11. BCarnathan

    BCarnathan Guest

    Yeah, you're right. Believe it or not, it actually looked worse before I
    created the bug background. There was a flower tiled under everything.

    BCarnathan, Jan 6, 2004
  12. BCarnathan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "BCarnathan" <> writes:
    > You are right - on both accounts. But, I want to be able to link to my
    > pictures myself - so I will just watch the logs for offenders.

    Just configure your server to send the right picture for your own
    referrals and not for random ones.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 6, 2004
  13. BCarnathan

    Alan D-W Guest

    > http://members.blackplanet.com/APRYLAKAMZTHANG/
    >

    > What's-Her-Name linked her personal ad background to a flower picture on

    my
    > web site. So I updated her personal ad with a bug and some text - what do
    > you think?!
    >
    > :)

    Top marks to you, well done. Damn bandwidth thieves!

    Alan D-W, Jan 6, 2004
  14. BCarnathan

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Yeah - I had some heavy-duty suggestions!
    >
    > :)

    Now I just use a simple anti-hotlinking script which serves an empty
    image, but one year ago or so my site would serve a porn image to
    hotlinkers. I kept it for a while (and had some very good laugh) then
    removed it, when I found out that there were (innocent) visitors who had
    their browsers configured to block the referrer and as a consequence
    would get that porn image instead of the photos.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
    Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
    Portugal

    Alfred Molon, Jan 6, 2004
  15. BCarnathan

    Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:

    > She is dumb enough to just link directly through to the picture so he just
    > changed the picture that is referenced.

    How about this: the original photographer was dumb enough to upload
    his image to the 'net. If he doesn't want stuff of his to be linked
    to/copied/etc (i.e., the very essence of the Internet), then it
    shouldn't be on the web in the first place. Seems simple enough to
    me.

    , Jan 6, 2004
  16. BCarnathan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Alfred Molon <> writes:
    > Now I just use a simple anti-hotlinking script which serves an empty
    > image, but one year ago or so my site would serve a porn image to
    > hotlinkers. I kept it for a while (and had some very good laugh) then
    > removed it, when I found out that there were (innocent) visitors who had
    > their browsers configured to block the referrer and as a consequence
    > would get that porn image instead of the photos.

    You should serve the real image if there's no referrer. When there's
    a hotlink, you'll almost get a referrer from outside your site. That's
    when to serve the porn image.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 6, 2004
  17. BCarnathan

    Tumbleweed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:
    >
    > > She is dumb enough to just link directly through to the picture so he

    just
    > > changed the picture that is referenced.

    > How about this: the original photographer was dumb enough to upload
    > his image to the 'net. If he doesn't want stuff of his to be linked
    > to/copied/etc (i.e., the very essence of the Internet), then it
    > shouldn't be on the web in the first place. Seems simple enough to
    > me.

    The 'dumb' part of the issue is that by not copying the picture, her page
    can break at any time or have other images inserted in it.
    The fact that stuff is on the net doesnt give you carte blanche to steal it.
    The 'essence' of the internet is not to remove the idea of copyright and not
    to give anyone the right to copy whatever they want.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

    Tumbleweed, Jan 6, 2004
  18. BCarnathan

    Another Bob Guest

    wrote:

    > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote:
    >
    >> She is dumb enough to just link directly through to the picture so he
    >> just changed the picture that is referenced.

    > How about this: the original photographer was dumb enough to upload
    > his image to the 'net. If he doesn't want stuff of his to be linked
    > to/copied/etc (i.e., the very essence of the Internet), then it
    > shouldn't be on the web in the first place. Seems simple enough to
    > me.

    Hmmm... The "intellectual property rights" vs. "essence of the Internet"
    debate. I wonder how this will turn out. Here is how I think it will turn
    out: Commercial interests will win, thus "intellectual" "property" will
    predominate, so that individuals who link to "owned" "artworks" will be
    prosecuted. However, big commerce will overshadow and eventually eliminate
    small-time commerce, so that small operators like Mr. Carnathan will be
    forced to give up. In other words, the Internet will become Television. In
    even more other words, it isn't about "rights" at all, nor is it about
    improving the human condition through the "essence of the Internet". It is
    about money.

    Another Bob, Jan 7, 2004
  19. BCarnathan

    Patrick L. Guest

    Patrick L., Jan 7, 2004
  20. BCarnathan

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    You certainly are a hole in the intelligence level of this group.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 7, 2004